Training and dieting

BILLYHOLMES

Oct 27, 2005
I need to lose weight, ideally 20lb. I’m 185lb now and 5’8’’ so I’m not overweight but I’m fat for a cyclist and I need to boost my w/kg. I started a diet and it consists of cutting out anything with fat in. I’m also a vegetarian so I’ve been eating lots of fruit, organic pasta, vegetables and I can see already I’ve dropped a couple of pounds. However, OMG, I’m now stuffed on the bike! I usually do at least 5 sessions a week with at least three on the windtrainer doing 2 x 20mins @ 90-95% FTP but now I can only manage 1 x 20 min and I can see my heart rate is higher than normal by 10 bpm , my power is lower and my legs feel heavy. Please note: this isn’t one of these ‘starving diets'. I eating probably the same amount but with no fat or very little.

My question is, shall I continue my 2 x 20mins but at lower power? Would this be a waste of time or would the body still respond to training as it seems to be just as exhausting as when I’m not dieting….?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Why would you rob your mitochondria of fat to burn? No fat diet?

Your brain is mostly fat. Fat in your diet is essential.

I could not imagine a worse way to lose weight or seriously impair one's ability to burn fat or health for that matter.

I need to lose weight, ideally 20lb. I’m 185lb now and 5’8’’ so I’m not overweight but I’m fat for a cyclist and I need to boost my w/kg. I started a diet and it consists of cutting out anything with fat in. I’m also a vegetarian so I’ve been eating lots of fruit, organic pasta, vegetables and I can see already I’ve dropped a couple of pounds. However, OMG, I’m now stuffed on the bike! I usually do at least 5 sessions a week with at least three on the windtrainer doing 2 x 20mins @ 90-95% FTP but now I can only manage 1 x 20 min and I can see my heart rate is higher than normal by 10 bpm , my power is lower and my legs feel heavy. Please note: this isn’t one of these ‘starving diets'. I eating probably the same amount but with no fat or very little.

My question is, shall I continue my 2 x 20mins but at lower power? Would this be a waste of time or would the body still respond to training as it seems to be just as exhausting as when I’m not dieting….?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated.

Bill
I would recommend using the following website. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I have been dieting while training and this website allows you to record your intake and take into account the amount of exercise you do each day.

I just started a season for training and I mean more seriously than in winter. I do not eat meat and from animal food I eat diary products and eggs. My training is a mix of cycling, running and gym. i started few days ago so I am taking it easy and still I feel sore but it'll be better soon. I have plans to buy some whey powder just for muscles to grow better and easier. Sometimes I miss proteins in my food but I make it up usually.

I am getting ready for a half marathon race that is coming up in some month and a half. I hope to have my legs prepared in that period.

Ok. So fat for a cyclist is 185? How much muscle are we talking about? Different body types...I agree BMI is such a general rule because we are all built differently. Myself, I could lose 8-10lbs down to <180, but the doc says your body tends to find a set point that it likes. Your high school weight was? I am 5'8 and I agree that body fat needs to go. But lean muscle, still weighs more than fat. I was and am using Almased a powder from Germany made form yougurt, honey and soy protein. This stuff is good. But you still need greens in your diet. Watch out for fruit...it has a lot of sugar. Most folks make that mistake and eat way more fruit and that fructose has lots of caloric intake. Almased has about 27grams of protein per shake plus you should add good EVO olive oil per shake to get your fatty acids. As a 50+ cyclist, I make it round the 20 mile loop in the South Dakota prairie winds at right about 57 mins just about an average of 21mph given winds etc. So, I think what is important is not feeling wiped out by a diet that is lacking in protein and training so hard you lose performance. Try Sufferfest training vids...they work.

Last edited:
Ok. So fat for a cyclist is 185? How much muscle are we talking about? Different body types...I agree BMI is such a general rule because we are all built differently. Myself, I could lose 8-10lbs down to <180, but the doc says your body tends to find a set point that it likes. Your high school weight was? I am 5'8 and I agree that body fat needs to go. But lean muscle, still weighs more than fat. I was and am using Almased a powder from Germany made form yougurt, honey and soy protein. This stuff is good. But you still need greens in your diet. Watch out for fruit...it has a lot of sugar. Most folks make t
Ok. So fat for a cyclist is 185? How much muscle are we talking about? Different body types...I agree BMI is such a general rule because we are all built differently. Myself, I could lose 8-10lbs down to <180, but the doc says your body tends to find a set point that it likes. Your high school weight was? I am 5'8 and I agree that body fat needs to go. But lean muscle, still weighs more than fat. I was and am using Almased a powder from Germany made form yougurt, honey and soy protein. This stuff is good. But you still need greens in your diet. Watch out for fruit...it has a lot of sugar. Most folks make that mistake and eat way more fruit and that fructose has lots of caloric intake. Almased has about 27grams of protein per shake plus you should add good EVO olive oil per shake to get your fatty acids. As a 50+ cyclist, I make it round the 20 mile loop in the South Dakota prairie winds at right about 57 mins just about an average of 21mph given winds etc. So, I think what is important is not feeling wiped out by a diet that is lacking in protein and training so hard you lose performance. Try Sufferfest training vids...they work.

hat mistake and eat way more fruit and that fructose has lots of caloric intake. Almased has about 27grams of protein per shake plus you should add good EVO olive oil per shake to get your fatty acids. As a 50+ cyclist, I make it round the 20 mile loop in the South Dakota prairie winds at right about 57 mins just about an average of 21mph given winds etc. So, I think what is important is not feeling wiped out by a diet that is lacking in protein and training so hard you lose performance. Try Sufferfest training vids...they work.

My high school weight was 145 but I'd like to get down to 165lb from 185lb for what it's worth, I'm 64. I take your point about fruit etc, I know they contain a ton sugar. I feel I'm eating very healthy with this diet but I still feel weak on the bike, I took yesterday off and I'm going on the wind-trainer later for 2 x 20 min's 90% FTP and just see if I've just been tired but I'm sure it's the change in diet - we shall see!

View attachment 1601
image.jpeg
Billy let me know how you do? I have been doing the sufferfest for 23 weeks this year did it for 30 weeks last year. It's good and you will see improvements in performance. But yes I noted fatigue on a lower calorie intake for sure. It took me about a year to drop the first 15lbs while eating a bit less and working hard in the suff. So 20lbs could be a year reasonably.

Why would you rob your mitochondria of fat to burn? No fat diet?

Your brain is mostly fat. Fat in your diet is essential.

I could not imagine a worse way to lose weight or seriously impair one's ability to burn fat or health for that matter.
I agree with you. Along with the carbohydrate and protein, fat is very important for our body because fat contains a lot of energy. I would highly recommend you fat along with all the other essentials.

Performance will take a hit when dieting - there's no way around that. It's best just to accept it and structure your riding sessions to take that into account. Very low intensity base-building work seems to be good when on a calorie restricted diet.

And I concur with others here: don't neglect your fat intake. They're called "essential" fatty acids for a reason.....!

Hey there!

I totally agree with you on the impact of dieting on performance. It's definitely a tough pill to swallow, but accepting it is the first step. Structuring your riding sessions accordingly is key.

When it comes to riding while on a calorie-restricted diet, I've found that incorporating very low intensity base-building work can be quite effective. It allows you to maintain your fitness levels while still managing your calorie intake.

And yes, fat intake is often overlooked but it shouldn't be! Essential fatty acids play a crucial role in our overall health and performance. So, it's important to give them the attention they deserve.

While we're on the topic, I'd like to mention that being mindful of the quality of food you consume during dieting can make a huge difference too. Opting for nutrient-dense options can provide your body with the necessary fuel to perform at its best, even in a calorie deficit.

Of course, everyone's body is different, so it's always a good idea to consult with a nutritionist or dietitian who can personalize your diet to match your training goals.

Remember, it's all about finding the right balance and making informed choices. Keep pushing those pedals!

Keep pedaling and stay critical,

GearGuru99