Training and music

Burak Ilter

Guest
Just curious about this subject. I used to listen to music all the time
while walking (using a walkman, CDman, mp3 player, etc.). And I walked a
lot.

Now that I am into more serious running and training longer I never use
any headphones. Even the thought of it irritates me. It seems to kill
all the fun of running or cycling. Hearing my own footsteps or the sound
of the wheel is much more fun.

I have always thought that if some day I would start running serious
distances (for me anyway, not ultras or marathons for that matter) I
would be listening "Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner" from Iron
Maiden. It appears that I cannot do that.

Happy runnings.
--
please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

experiencing or engaging in anything...is more redeeming & rewarding when you
take that and those moments "in"...100% in full/total with no foreign
distraction.

running w/headphones & listening to whatever....is like hearing a cell phone
ring whilst in a theater watching a film. it's something that detracts from
the moment you're immersed in and reduces your overall attention & experience.
if you're running w/audio...you're not in the moment....you might be 90%
in...but not fully in. If you're going to do something...immerse in all
aspects of it....anything less is....well just that..."less".

i can remember back in college exploring....this chick and I both had
headphones while having sex while listening to the whole Prince album
"1999".....and it would a double LP too! :) (cassette decks w/auto reverse
served me well in college)...........but in retrospect...even stress tested
against that....no headphones is the more redeeming & rewarding way to go.

You're missing out if you are able to and electing to not also take in the
auditory journey. There's information & training data about your running that
you can "hear" while running. For example...if I hear my foot dragging on the
road surface I know I need to raise my knees and "pick it up" and fight the
fatigue. I can hear myself getting lazy in my runs. And believe me, I have
volunteered and ran with disabled runners (blind). If you are "pro-listening
to something" while running....go volunteer and run with a blind person. That
blind person will open your eyes to what you are missing.

We're all different. I never listen to music while running, but I used
to and it does have some benefits. Running can be boring and music can
help alleviate that. Sometimes, it can inspire you to run better than
you would without it. What amazes me is the sight of people wearing
headphones in races. I always want to ask them: if you want to be
oblivious of your surroundings, then what the hell are you doing here?
But of course, they wouldn't be able to hear me.

Lanceandrew wrote:
> experiencing or engaging in anything...is more redeeming & rewarding

when you
> take that and those moments "in"...100% in full/total with no foreign
> distraction.
>
> running w/headphones & listening to whatever....is like hearing a

cell phone
> ring whilst in a theater watching a film. it's something that

detracts from
> the moment you're immersed in and reduces your overall attention &

experience.
> if you're running w/audio...you're not in the moment....you might be

90%
> in...but not fully in. If you're going to do something...immerse in

all
> aspects of it....anything less is....well just that..."less".
>
> i can remember back in college exploring....this chick and I both had
> headphones while having sex while listening to the whole Prince album
> "1999".....and it would a double LP too! :) (cassette decks w/auto

reverse
> served me well in college)...........but in retrospect...even stress

tested
> against that....no headphones is the more redeeming & rewarding way

to go.

> You're missing out if you are able to and electing to not also take

in the
> auditory journey. There's information & training data about your

running that
> you can "hear" while running. For example...if I hear my foot

dragging on the
> road surface I know I need to raise my knees and "pick it up" and

fight the
> fatigue. I can hear myself getting lazy in my runs. And believe

me, I have
> volunteered and ran with disabled runners (blind). If you are

"pro-listening
> to something" while running....go volunteer and run with a blind

person. That
> blind person will open your eyes to what you are missing.

The purists will say "no music!" but I actually enjoy listening, at low
volume, to my music. I take an mp3 player along on my street runs and
on the treadmill it's invaluable. I find that it enhances the run
rather than distracts. YMMV

Clear skies,
Roger

The purists will say "no music!" but I actually enjoy listening, at low
volume, to my music. I take an mp3 player along on my street runs and
on the treadmill it's invaluable. I find that it enhances the run
rather than distracts. YMMV

Clear skies,
Roger

In article <[email protected]>,
Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
>experiencing or engaging in anything...is more redeeming & rewarding when you
>take that and those moments "in"...100% in full/total with no foreign
>distraction.

Thank you. I'll think about that during my next visit to the proctologist.

"Take it slow, doc. I want to make sure I'm fully engaged in this moment,
with no foreign distractions".

>running w/headphones & listening to whatever....is like hearing a cell phone
>ring whilst in a theater watching a film. it's something that detracts from
>the moment you're immersed in and reduces your overall attention & experience.
> if you're running w/audio...you're not in the moment....you might be 90%
>in...but not fully in. If you're going to do something...immerse in all
>aspects of it....anything less is....well just that..."less".

I agree that it's "different". Not sure about less.

>i can remember back in college exploring....this chick and I both had
>headphones while having sex while listening to the whole Prince album
>"1999".....and it would a double LP too! :) (cassette decks w/auto reverse
>served me well in college)...........but in retrospect...even stress tested
>against that....no headphones is the more redeeming & rewarding way to go.
>
>You're missing out if you are able to and electing to not also take in the
>auditory journey. There's information & training data about your running that
>you can "hear" while running. For example...if I hear my foot dragging on the
>road surface I know I need to raise my knees and "pick it up" and fight the
>fatigue. I can hear myself getting lazy in my runs. And believe me, I have
>volunteered and ran with disabled runners (blind). If you are "pro-listening
>to something" while running....go volunteer and run with a blind person. That
>blind person will open your eyes to what you are missing.

Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150
[email protected] 229B Physics Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc

>Thank you. I'll think about that during my next visit to the proctologist.

Ask him to pull your head out of there.

"Lanceandrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> running w/headphones & listening to whatever....is like hearing a cell
> phone
> ring whilst in a theater watching a film. it's something that detracts
> from
> the moment you're immersed in and reduces your overall attention &
> experience.
> if you're running w/audio...you're not in the moment....you might be 90%
> in...but not fully in. If you're going to do something...immerse in all
> aspects of it....anything less is....well just that..."less".

What you are really saying here is "I feel more like a real runner
who's telling people they aren't a real runner if they listen to music".
This is snotty, 'look-down-your-nose-at-others' advice. Many
people (particularly newer runners but not always) enjoy using
music to help them motivate or pace themselves. Running isn't
some orgasmic tantric yoga thing for everyone, all the time.

> i can remember back in college exploring....this chick and I both had
> headphones while having sex while listening to the whole Prince album
> "1999".....and it would a double LP too! :)

Way too much information there.

> You're missing out if you are able to and electing to not also take in the
> auditory journey. There's information & training data about your running
> that
> you can "hear" while running. For example...if I hear my foot dragging on
> the
> road surface I know I need to raise my knees and "pick it up" and fight
> the
> fatigue.

I'm glad you told me this. I wouldn't want to be say, running a
marathon and develop foot problems. I imagine this type of thing
never happens to you because of that "information & training data
about your running" you always get from hearing your footstrikes.

> I can hear myself getting lazy in my runs.

For some people, the occasional use of music helps this problem.

> And believe me, I have
> volunteered and ran with disabled runners (blind). If you are
> "pro-listening
> to something" while running....go volunteer and run with a blind person.
> That
> blind person will open your eyes to what you are missing.

What would that be? That listening to headphones makes
people "90% in...but not fully in" and casuses foot injury?

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON)
www.allfalldown.org

From: "SwStudio" [email protected]
Date: 12/10/2004 4:16 PM Eastern Standard Time

>> And believe me, I have
>> volunteered and ran with disabled runners (blind). If you are
>> "pro-listening
>> to something" while running....go volunteer and run with a blind person.
>> That
>> blind person will open your eyes to what you are missing.

>What would that be? That listening to headphones makes

people "90% in...but not fully in" and casuses foot injury?
____

....canadian humor david? sarcasm? thank god i'm not too bright or i'd say your

tell you what david.....assuming you're sincere in your inquiry.....why don't
you go directly to the source and contact one of the several chapters of the
achilles track club in Ontario? it certainly will be no problem for you to
volunteer as a guide for a weekend run with an experienced runner who's
visually impaired. i think that would be a "win-win". what'da ya say? it's
quite simple for you to discover the answer(s) to your queston (if you really
want to know).

here's a link to enable you to contact a local chapter....

http://www.achillestrackclub.ca/index2Frameset.html

good luck!

no, i am no champion of service & volunteering in my community. A couple a
times a year with no intention on my part... "on the fly" on my local running
loop... I get drafted so to speak by a guide who's "over capacity" with
disabled runners. they get plenty of volunteers for races...it's the training
wherein they usually have shortages of help. i am sure most of us are
familiar with such programs, perhaps participate in them.

Burak Ilter wrote:
> Just curious about this subject. I used to listen to music all the time
> while walking (using a walkman, CDman, mp3 player, etc.). And I walked a
> lot.
>
> Now that I am into more serious running and training longer I never use
> any headphones. Even the thought of it irritates me. It seems to kill
> all the fun of running or cycling. Hearing my own footsteps or the sound
> of the wheel is much more fun.
>
> I have always thought that if some day I would start running serious
> distances (for me anyway, not ultras or marathons for that matter) I
> would be listening "Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner" from Iron
> Maiden. It appears that I cannot do that.
>
> Happy runnings.

And while we're at it: How about those people who drink a cup of coffee
while reading? Or have a conversation during a meal? Or walk and
SIMULTANEOUSLY(!)chew gum? Or post to newsgroups while thinking?

Roger Herzler wrote:

> The purists will say "no music!" but I actually enjoy listening, at low
> volume, to my music.

Me too, and it's not from lack of trying to exercise without music. Been
there, tried that many times- still prefer listening to music instead of
listening to myself grunt, or other similar cheerful workout noises.

-J

"Lanceandrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ...canadian humor david? sarcasm? thank god i'm not too bright

Come on, now. You aren't pulling my leg one this one, are
you? You seem so "with it" to me as you showcase your
stunning ability to ignore everything I said and make something
up out of nothing [i.e. David (in Hamilton ON) hates blind
people, and blind runners in particular], to create an imaginary
stance in order to feel better about your losing position.

Aside from that, there's no such thing as humor in Canada.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton ON)
www.absolutelyaccurate.com
www.allfalldown.org

>Or post to newsgroups while thinking?

No problem of that happening in your case, or anywhere in this thread.

jogger wrote:

> Roger Herzler wrote:
> >
> > The purists will say "no music!" but I actually enjoy listening, at low
> > volume, to my music.

> Me too, and it's not from lack of trying to exercise without music. Been
> there, tried that many times- still prefer listening to music instead of
> listening to myself grunt, or other similar cheerful workout noises.

I've never heard a runner grunt. What is it your doing
when running to make yourself grunt?

I myself never grunt, though I spit and clear my throat
every so often..

>I've never heard a runner grunt. What is it your doing
>when running to make yourself grunt?

Only when his trench coat chaffs him.

[lanceandrew]
<< And believe me, I have
volunteered and ran with disabled runners (blind). If you are "pro-listening
to something" while running....go volunteer and run with a blind person. That
blind person will open your eyes to what you are missing. >>

Where do you do this work
With disabled runners?
I've run with the Achiles Track Club
In NYC. It's a great program!

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

When running outside, I like hearing
the natual sounds, becomiing a part
of the environment.

When home, spinning on my bike,
I like music, but from my stereo,
not headphones, which drive me nuts.
_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

<< not headphones, which drive me nuts. >>

Itchy, my ears.

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

>Where do you do this work With disabled runners? I've run with the Achiles
Track Club.
___

it's not fair to say "i do this work", etc. i don't intentionally volunteer.
it seems a couple a times a year i'll get flagged down and asked to help out an
overwhelmed running guide (i run a popular circuit). i tried to make that clear
and speaking of clarity w/respect to david in hamilton, i did intend to suggest
his disdain was for visually impaired runners. in my poor & hurried writing i
can see how he interpreted it in that manner. i apologize to him for that,
sorry. the object of his transparent disdain which i felt came through his
cumulative responses was toward me personally. that's what i meant to suggest.
i don't take this ng stuff too seriously, ignored what i sensed in his
writing. i wanted to focus on topic in hopes that through the discourse...we
can collectively extrude some insightful views through the lens of the blind
runner. (focus, sight, view, lens all in one sentence & in context of the
blind.....can you top that virginiaz?...hee hee).

i've come to learn people can make excuses & justify what they want....and i
tried to get you all to think a bit outside "your" box (which should not be
hard for david since he'll be celebrating boxing day shortly). people seek
various means to alter the state they find themeselves in.....then refuse to
acknowledge the behavior or feverishly defend/justify it. ready to think
outside the box?

"i need a cigarette or a drink to calm my nerves". people turn to drugs,
perscription and hard, to alter their state and enter another. running
w/headphones is a similar behavior. it's a "crutch". these people are making
an effort to escape the natural state they find themselves in whilst
running.....and in fact do....and many actually condition themselves to where
they are reliant on that "crutch" to indeed go for a run. my girlfriend is
addicted to ipod'ing it while running and having a very difficult time "kicking
it". i know many like her.

so what's so bad and wrong with this "crutch" that helps you make it through
your run? well beyond the conditioning you're imposing on yourself...you're
missing out on a large aspect of the endeavor of running...the auditory journey
(and as i mentioned the blind can tell you all about that better than us
sighted folks)....and you're reducing the dynamism of the mental side of
running (the unnatural auditory interference) relative to where you are and
what you're doing. again, it depends on how you choose to purpsue life. i
try to make the most out of things....and imo w/you're wearing headphones while
running...that would be contrary to my posture toward things.

i understand "different strokes for different folks". there is room for that.
but there's no room for denial and diminishing what you are indeed doing when
you are ipod'ing it. it's easy to diminish the behavior...it's harder to run
this behavior through the ringer & under the scope. i drink a glass of wine
every night with dinner... knowing the purpose, motivation, and conditioning i
am imposing on self. it's not comforting to view behavior through the context
of "conditioning"...and our motivation to alter our natural state...I am just
putting out there for your consideration this view of running with headphones
on.

....and david...i don't view this ng stuff in the context of "winning" and
"losing" positions....i found that point by you quite illuminating of self.
there are interesting and provocative points made...and then there are the
zzzzzzzzzz.

Tom Phillips wrote:

> I've never heard a runner grunt. What is it your doing
> when running to make yourself grunt?

'twas only meant as an illustration of how "exciting" <not!> I find
listening to myself during most exercise. Although I maybe do really
grunt skating up steep long hills. And sometimes I "grrrrr" when
running and I'm getting annoyed with myself, hope that's OK.
;)

-J