Training Week Ending March 21, 2004

Swstudio

Guest
Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
week and goals.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

In article <[email protected]>,
"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.
>

> cheers,

G'day David et al,

My week:

s - :40 easy run. missed my scheduled swim due to work :( m
- :40 easy-going, turned into a tempo run t - dnr, cycled
:40 :)10 w/u, :20 hard, :10 c/d) w - :30 5K @ race pace. a
race simulation, to see how it'd feel. Good. t - dnr, rest f
- dnr, rest s - :40 cycling s - no run. will swim for about
one hour (w/u, timed 500m, sprints, c/d)

getting stoked about race season, esp. for doing another
triathlon or two (or more, money permitting).

found out that root beer makes an excellent post run
recovery drink! tried it just for laffs, and it was nice.

plan to race in May.... a sprint triathlon, followed by a 5K
race the following weekend, i believe. i've been sorta
winging it with my training so far this year, so i must draw
up a proper schedule for the fridge very shortly. i need a
little more discipline again. the winter saw me doing plenty
of training, but with more days off and less structured
workouts... generally more fun and with zero injuries, but i
need to get cracking if i'm to build on that base, and get
to the strength and speed training. must definitely get some
hillwork in now and then.

thanks for reading,

Cam

Goals: Running healthy, slowly building mileage. Cross-training with
cycling. A return of winter interfered with the (biking) but the running
was fine:

Monday: 3.26 miles (8:19/mile) Tuesday: Planned rest day
Wednesday: Unplanned rest day Thursday: 4.49 miles
(8:17.mile) Friday: Planned rest day Saturday: 5.51 miles
(8:08/mile) Sunday: Unplanned rest day-intended to bike but
very windy

Total this week: 13.26 miles Total last week: 12.03 miles

SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.
>

> cheers,

Goals: Bow Lake 15k in April, 1/2 Marathon in May, build
base for fall marathon

Monday: 14mi (8:45 pace) very hilly Tuesday: 6mi (8:12 pace)
Wednesday: off Thursday: 6.3mi (8:18 pace) Friday: 10.3mi
(8:32 pace) 2 or 3 steep hills Saturday: off Sunday: 10mi
club run ( 8:45 pace) very hilly Total: 46.6 miles

Found out that the 15k has a 300ft elevation change between
mile 5 and mile 6, so I'm adding more hill runs.

Mark Mauro "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.
>

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
> insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
> down constantly."

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

... and the big taper leading to the ATB30k race is nearing
it's final days. The race is next Sunday, and is easily the
biggest, most important race of my running "career" to date.
All these days off are leaving me with too much energy. I'm
nervous and antsy.

M off T 18km (first 15k @ 4:00/km, last 3k @ 3:43/km), 1km
down W off T 8km steady (3:54/km), stretch F off S SLAINTE
5K (16:43, 2nd overall out of 350 - 400), 2km up S 6km very
easy (5:00/km), stretch

Total: 40km

cheers,
--

SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

No wheels falling off yet so I guess that makes it a
good week. ;-)

Mon: easy run 5.1 miles @8:30 mpm

Tue: club run 4.8 miles @7:32 mpm

Wed: easy run (hillyish) 7.2 miles @9:02 mpm

Thu: beach run 5 miles @8:30 mpm

Fri: Trail run (Culzean) 7.2 miles @8:37 mpm

Sat: dnr

Sun: lsd 26 miles , 4:00:00 (9:14 mpm). A windy showery day
here and although I had the wind at my back for the first
half of my run, I was more or less running head on into it
on the way back. I slowed slightly on the way back, but
given the wind, not a bad run.

Total for week 55.3 miles.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit

Goals: Complete Connemarathon next Sunday. 10K the Sunday afterwards.

Mon: 8 miles (7:45 min/mile) Tue: 8 miles (7:13
min/miles) Wed: 5 (7:39 min/miles) Thurs: 8 miles (7:37
min/miles) Fri: DNR Sat: 5 miles xc race (7:22 min/miles)
+ .5 mile w/up, 1.5 mile w/down Sun: 8 miles (7:45
min/miles) Total: 44 miles

After 3 lousy weeks, I manage to get my mileage back up just
at the time I should be bringing it down. Typical! Next
weekend is going to be interesting to say the least...

--
Colm

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
: week and goals.

Training for Med-City Marathon (MN), following Hal Higdon's
Intermediate-I schedule.

Monday: 4.26 miles in 39:58 (9:23/mi); upper body weights.

Tuesday: 7.08 miles in 66:06 (9:20/mi).

Wednesday: 4.09 miles in 38:08 (9:20/mi); upper body
weights. Thursday: Off day!

Friday: 7.10 miles in 65:14 (9:11/mi); upper body weights.
It was warmer (~35 degrees) but windy (30 mph by the end).
Had a couple of miles that were into the wind, which was
annoying more than anything. I approached my house with the
wind at my back, and almost couldn't stop.

Saturday: 15.07 miles in 2:20:55 (9:21/mi). Aside from the
wind (20-30 mph with gusts up to 45mph) this was a really
nice day. It was actually in the 40s which felt great after
all the cold weather. The last few miles were into the wind
and it was kind of hard because I think we caught a couple
of those 45 mph gusts (my hat actually blew off my head a
couple times). I joined the track club's group run, so I had
people to run with which was a nice change of pace.

Sunday: XT Day. Upper body weights and 35:00 elliptical.

Total = 37.6 miles

marisa

goals: continue rebuilding mileage to 65+ mpw; get stronger and faster
somehow. Now that short-race season is upon us, I'd like to improve
my 5K and 10K times. Upcoming races: 10K March 27, 5K April 3.

M: 7mi (9:14) treadmill, 3mi elliptical trainer
N: 8mi (9:41), really tired for some reason
O: 7.75mi incl 6x800; goal 3:20, actual 3:19
P: 8.25mi (9:05) tm, 3mi et
Q: 8.375mi (8:28) incl 6x hills on disused concrete bridge,
ouch Sa: 8mi (9:15) Su: 16.25mi (8:12), oops

total: 63.625 miles running

This week had some good workouts as well as a couple of days
where I was really tired. I read somewhere that your hard
workouts should force you to go easy on your easy workouts
(i.e., run the hard stuff hard enough and you won't be able
to run too hard on easy days). That's certainly been the
case this week. We'll see if it does any good.

Good week all

Karen

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

M - rest T - 6.0 easy @ 8:38 W - 4.6 easy @ 8:49 T - 7.0
easy @ 8:24 F - rest S - 6.0 aerobic @ 8:11 S - 9.0 marathon
pace? @ 8:03
-----------------
Week - 32.6 Year - 402.5

Training Goals: This week was a recovery week. I've
been doing 1 recovery week per month. 5 weeks until
beginning a 24-week marathon training program. I've
devised a plan that tops out at 63 MPW, using the multi-
speed approach as outlined in the book "Advanced
Marathoning" (Pfitzinger-Douglas).

Racing Goals:
7/11/04 - Wine Country Half Marathon, Napa Valley California
7/12/04 - LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

Have a good week rec.runners.

Phil M.

--
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
them all yourself." ­-Martin Vanbee

Monday 4m Tuesday 5m Wed. 4m Thursday 5m Friday 30minute ski
Saturday 12m Sunday 4m

34 miles run JK

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.
>

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
> insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
> down constantly."

M 4.5 mi, 54:00
Tu 3.75 mi (4x4 min intervals with 2 min rest~10:00/mi)
W dnr
Th 3 mi (35:00)
F dnr
S dnr (nice 5 mile hike though)
Su 5.5 trail run (1:08)
Total: 16.75

Goals: 10K trail race April 24? Trying to put together a
team for a 3-event race; loose 30 lbs by end of year, trail
half marathon in fall.

Notes and thoughts: overall pretty happy with how things are
going, but it's still hard to make the time, and good days
(like today) alternate with days when I get a half mile in
and feel like poo. Coulda run Saturday, but chose to go on a
dog-walking date instead. This is an important part of my
non-running goal of getting laid again sometime in 2004.

Goal : Sand Marathon (Sahara, South Morocco) 11th-17th April
Bib number 185

"Easy" week <BFG>, 3 week taper starts now ~ 80km,
60km, 30km

Mon Rest

Tue Noon 0:53 9km 6mi 20' up, lines, drills, 10' down
2x6x(200m/100m in 39"/36") 1'30" between PM 1:01 12km 8mi
Base endurance on roads

Wed Noon 1:28 15km 10mi Easy on riverside trails

Thu Noon 1:10 14km 9mi Endurance on riverside trails PM 0:58
10km 6mi Easy on roads

Fri Noon 1:09 15km 10mi 30' up, fartlek on riverside
trails, 20' down

Sat Rest

Sun PM 3:30 38km 23mi Race pace with 5.5kg backpack (2kg at
end) Took a train to nearby town and ran home. It rained on
me; nice training for the desert!
________________________
Totals 10:15 112km 70mi

In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

More resting than usual, trying to recover from the half.
xtraining down, which is OK -- I have no targets for
xtraining and just use it as an outlet for surplus energy
which I have less and less of as interval training works
its magic.

M 10 T 5: intervals with training group. Took it easy after
the half, coaches orders W -- T 11, 40min xtraining F -- S
AM 10.3, including 3.5mile tempo PM 7.9 including 4x1200 in
4:08/4:09/4:15/4:14. Slightly slower than last week but
pretty happy with it given I did it on the same day as the
tempo, and was still sore. S 12

Total: 56

Cheers,

In article <[email protected]>, joe positive wrote:

> This week had some good workouts as well as a couple of
> days where I was really tired. I read somewhere that your
> hard workouts should force you to go easy on your easy
> workouts (i.e., run the hard stuff

The main thing to watch for is drops in performance on the
interval workouts-- if you have trouble meeting target pace,
that's a bad sign.

What's your overall race plan ? Have you considered throwing
in a phase of about 4 weeks at the end of the season where
you do slightly less milage ? Combining hard interval
sessions and milage can temporarily blunt ones performance.
Tapering isn't just for marathons, it also works for end-of-
season sharpening for shorter races.

Cheers,

Goals: Boston (4 weeks!) in 2:57, break 37:30 in a 10k two
weeks from today

M: dnr
N: 8, ~7:15 pace
O: 11, 6:45 MP effort (6:30 treamill pace), downhill
(bricks under back legs)
P: 6, ~7:00 pace
Q: 7, 7:30 pace
R: 23, 7:30-8:00 pace (with friends, yay!)
S: 6, 7:30 pace (after I send this off) Total: 61, my
peak week.

Next week, 18 mile long run using a half marathon as a MP
tempo run.

The downhill treadmill run was cool, it really felt easy
(gotta remember that), but I was introduced to delayed onset
muscle soreness on Thursday/Friday. =) I'll repeat that run
(but shorter) closer to boston.

--Ryan

Ryan Pearman wrote:
> Goals: Boston (4 weeks!) in 2:57, break 37:30 in a 10k two
> weeks from today
>

> The downhill treadmill run was cool, it really felt easy
> (gotta remember that), but I was introduced to delayed
> onset muscle soreness on Thursday/Friday. =) I'll repeat
> that run (but shorter) closer to boston.

Just a thought, but you might want to be careful how close
to Boston and how hard you do your downhills if doing them
close. Remember how long it took to recover completely this
time, and assuming same duration /intensity allowing at
least that much recovery time. The training effect pulse is
supposed to last for about 6 wks.
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0009.htm

Better yet if you can do them outdoors and get a better feel
for pounding downhill on pavement. I've done downhills on
treadmill and found only a little relation between that and
downhill on trails (but largely because of grade and footing
on trail hills, but soem visual cues also) or even the
occasional road hills I do (gravel strip at edge).

Good luck!

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

SwStudio wrote:

> ... and the big taper leading to the ATB30k race is
> nearing it's final days. The race is next Sunday, and is
> easily the biggest, most important race of my running
> "career" to date. All these days off are leaving me with
> too much energy. I'm nervous and antsy.

Good luck, David! Save the energy for race day! You've done
a lot of training, and it looks like your race strategy has
matured a lot in the last year or so - having better control
over your pace.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Goal: Keep increasing mileage, work on lowering 5K/10K times.

M: DNR Tu: 6 x 800m working up from 10K to 5K pace, with
strength/power work in between; 4 miles wu/cd
N: 5.2 easy Th: DNR
O: 8 Sa: DNR Su: St. Patty's 10K, 41:23, plus 4 cd

Total 30.3

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
Churchill

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

MON rest (nothing but rain) TUE 1:30 XC skiing (0:40 hard)
WED 1:30 XC skiing (easy, but hard going on wet soft snow)
THU 1:30 plyometrics, strides etc indoors FRI rest (rain)
SAT 10K race (in pouring rain, as a long hard run; legs
wooden, ankles non-elastic, etc) SUN 1:30 jogging in what
used to be XC skiing tracks; good strength session, perhaps.

I´ve marked this week down as Week One of My Running Year
2004, but there´ll still be some overlapping with My
Skiing Year.

Goals: the same as the previous year (and the one before and
the one before that). Sub-3, sub-37, sub-1:21, staying injury-
free - all or any of those four, I suppose, would do...

Anders