Training Week Ending March 21, 2004

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Mar 20, 2004.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

    Tags:

  2. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <7w57c.7408$R37.1726@read1.cgocable.net>,
    "SwStudio" <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,

    G'day David et al,

    My week:

    s - :40 easy run. missed my scheduled swim due to work :( m
    - :40 easy-going, turned into a tempo run t - dnr, cycled
    :40 :)10 w/u, :20 hard, :10 c/d) w - :30 5K @ race pace. a
    race simulation, to see how it'd feel. Good. t - dnr, rest f
    - dnr, rest s - :40 cycling s - no run. will swim for about
    one hour (w/u, timed 500m, sprints, c/d)

    getting stoked about race season, esp. for doing another
    triathlon or two (or more, money permitting).

    found out that root beer makes an excellent post run
    recovery drink! tried it just for laffs, and it was nice.

    plan to race in May.... a sprint triathlon, followed by a 5K
    race the following weekend, i believe. i've been sorta
    winging it with my training so far this year, so i must draw
    up a proper schedule for the fridge very shortly. i need a
    little more discipline again. the winter saw me doing plenty
    of training, but with more days off and less structured
    workouts... generally more fun and with zero injuries, but i
    need to get cracking if i'm to build on that base, and get
    to the strength and speed training. must definitely get some
    hillwork in now and then.

    thanks for reading,

    Cam

  3. Goals: Running healthy, slowly building mileage. Cross-training with
    cycling. A return of winter interfered with the (biking) but the running
    was fine:

    Monday: 3.26 miles (8:19/mile) Tuesday: Planned rest day
    Wednesday: Unplanned rest day Thursday: 4.49 miles
    (8:17.mile) Friday: Planned rest day Saturday: 5.51 miles
    (8:08/mile) Sunday: Unplanned rest day-intended to bike but
    very windy

    Total this week: 13.26 miles Total last week: 12.03 miles

    SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,

  4. Mark Mauro

    Mark Mauro Guest

    Goals: Bow Lake 15k in April, 1/2 Marathon in May, build
    base for fall marathon

    Monday: 14mi (8:45 pace) very hilly Tuesday: 6mi (8:12 pace)
    Wednesday: off Thursday: 6.3mi (8:18 pace) Friday: 10.3mi
    (8:32 pace) 2 or 3 steep hills Saturday: off Sunday: 10mi
    club run ( 8:45 pace) very hilly Total: 46.6 miles

    Found out that the 15k has a 300ft elevation change between
    mile 5 and mile 6, so I'm adding more hill runs.

    Mark Mauro "SwStudio" <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:7w57c.7408$R37.1726@read1.cgocable.net...
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    > insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    > down constantly."

  5. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "SwStudio" <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    ... and the big taper leading to the ATB30k race is nearing
    it's final days. The race is next Sunday, and is easily the
    biggest, most important race of my running "career" to date.
    All these days off are leaving me with too much energy. I'm
    nervous and antsy.

    M off T 18km (first 15k @ 4:00/km, last 3k @ 3:43/km), 1km
    down W off T 8km steady (3:54/km), stretch F off S SLAINTE
    5K (16:43, 2nd overall out of 350 - 400), 2km up S 6km very
    easy (5:00/km), stretch

    Total: 40km

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    down constantly."

  6. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    No wheels falling off yet so I guess that makes it a
    good week. ;-)

    Mon: easy run 5.1 miles @8:30 mpm

    Tue: club run 4.8 miles @7:32 mpm

    Wed: easy run (hillyish) 7.2 miles @9:02 mpm

    Thu: beach run 5 miles @8:30 mpm

    Fri: Trail run (Culzean) 7.2 miles @8:37 mpm

    Sat: dnr

    Sun: lsd 26 miles , 4:00:00 (9:14 mpm). A windy showery day
    here and although I had the wind at my back for the first
    half of my run, I was more or less running head on into it
    on the way back. I slowed slightly on the way back, but
    given the wind, not a bad run.

    Total for week 55.3 miles.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit

  7. C.G.

    C.G. Guest

    Goals: Complete Connemarathon next Sunday. 10K the Sunday afterwards.

    Mon: 8 miles (7:45 min/mile) Tue: 8 miles (7:13
    min/miles) Wed: 5 (7:39 min/miles) Thurs: 8 miles (7:37
    min/miles) Fri: DNR Sat: 5 miles xc race (7:22 min/miles)
    + .5 mile w/up, 1.5 mile w/down Sun: 8 miles (7:45
    min/miles) Total: 44 miles

    After 3 lousy weeks, I manage to get my mileage back up just
    at the time I should be bringing it down. Typical! Next
    weekend is going to be interesting to say the least...

    --
    Colm

    "SwStudio" <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    : week and goals.

  8. Marisa

    Marisa Guest

    Training for Med-City Marathon (MN), following Hal Higdon's
    Intermediate-I schedule.

    Monday: 4.26 miles in 39:58 (9:23/mi); upper body weights.

    Tuesday: 7.08 miles in 66:06 (9:20/mi).

    Wednesday: 4.09 miles in 38:08 (9:20/mi); upper body
    weights. Thursday: Off day!

    Friday: 7.10 miles in 65:14 (9:11/mi); upper body weights.
    It was warmer (~35 degrees) but windy (30 mph by the end).
    Had a couple of miles that were into the wind, which was
    annoying more than anything. I approached my house with the
    wind at my back, and almost couldn't stop.

    Saturday: 15.07 miles in 2:20:55 (9:21/mi). Aside from the
    wind (20-30 mph with gusts up to 45mph) this was a really
    nice day. It was actually in the 40s which felt great after
    all the cold weather. The last few miles were into the wind
    and it was kind of hard because I think we caught a couple
    of those 45 mph gusts (my hat actually blew off my head a
    couple times). I joined the track club's group run, so I had
    people to run with which was a nice change of pace.

    Sunday: XT Day. Upper body weights and 35:00 elliptical.

    Total = 37.6 miles

    marisa

  9. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    goals: continue rebuilding mileage to 65+ mpw; get stronger and faster
    somehow. Now that short-race season is upon us, I'd like to improve
    my 5K and 10K times. Upcoming races: 10K March 27, 5K April 3.

    M: 7mi (9:14) treadmill, 3mi elliptical trainer
    N: 8mi (9:41), really tired for some reason
    O: 7.75mi incl 6x800; goal 3:20, actual 3:19
    P: 8.25mi (9:05) tm, 3mi et
    Q: 8.375mi (8:28) incl 6x hills on disused concrete bridge,
    ouch Sa: 8mi (9:15) Su: 16.25mi (8:12), oops

    total: 63.625 miles running

    This week had some good workouts as well as a couple of days
    where I was really tired. I read somewhere that your hard
    workouts should force you to go easy on your easy workouts
    (i.e., run the hard stuff hard enough and you won't be able
    to run too hard on easy days). That's certainly been the
    case this week. We'll see if it does any good.

    Good week all

    Karen

  10. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    M - rest T - 6.0 easy @ 8:38 W - 4.6 easy @ 8:49 T - 7.0
    easy @ 8:24 F - rest S - 6.0 aerobic @ 8:11 S - 9.0 marathon
    pace? @ 8:03
    -----------------
    Week - 32.6 Year - 402.5

    Training Goals: This week was a recovery week. I've
    been doing 1 recovery week per month. 5 weeks until
    beginning a 24-week marathon training program. I've
    devised a plan that tops out at 63 MPW, using the multi-
    speed approach as outlined in the book "Advanced
    Marathoning" (Pfitzinger-Douglas).

    Racing Goals:
    7/11/04 - Wine Country Half Marathon, Napa Valley California
    7/12/04 - LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

    Have a good week rec.runners.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­-Martin Vanbee

  11. 32 Degrees

    32 Degrees Guest

    Monday 4m Tuesday 5m Wed. 4m Thursday 5m Friday 30minute ski
    Saturday 12m Sunday 4m

    34 miles run JK

    "SwStudio" <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    > insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
    > down constantly."

  12. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

    M 4.5 mi, 54:00
    Tu 3.75 mi (4x4 min intervals with 2 min rest~10:00/mi)
    W dnr
    Th 3 mi (35:00)
    F dnr
    S dnr (nice 5 mile hike though)
    Su 5.5 trail run (1:08)
    Total: 16.75

    Goals: 10K trail race April 24? Trying to put together a
    team for a 3-event race; loose 30 lbs by end of year, trail
    half marathon in fall.

    Notes and thoughts: overall pretty happy with how things are
    going, but it's still hard to make the time, and good days
    (like today) alternate with days when I get a half mile in
    and feel like poo. Coulda run Saturday, but chose to go on a
    dog-walking date instead. This is an important part of my
    non-running goal of getting laid again sometime in 2004.

  13. Steve Common

    Steve Common Guest

    Goal : Sand Marathon (Sahara, South Morocco) 11th-17th April
    Bib number 185

    "Easy" week <BFG>, 3 week taper starts now ~ 80km,
    60km, 30km

    Mon Rest

    Tue Noon 0:53 9km 6mi 20' up, lines, drills, 10' down
    2x6x(200m/100m in 39"/36") 1'30" between PM 1:01 12km 8mi
    Base endurance on roads

    Wed Noon 1:28 15km 10mi Easy on riverside trails

    Thu Noon 1:10 14km 9mi Endurance on riverside trails PM 0:58
    10km 6mi Easy on roads

    Fri Noon 1:09 15km 10mi 30' up, fartlek on riverside
    trails, 20' down

    Sat Rest

    Sun PM 3:30 38km 23mi Race pace with 5.5kg backpack (2kg at
    end) Took a train to nearby town and ran home. It rained on
    me; nice training for the desert!
    ________________________
    Totals 10:15 112km 70mi

  14. In article <7w57c.7408$R37.1726@read1.cgocable.net>, SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    More resting than usual, trying to recover from the half.
    xtraining down, which is OK -- I have no targets for
    xtraining and just use it as an outlet for surplus energy
    which I have less and less of as interval training works
    its magic.

    M 10 T 5: intervals with training group. Took it easy after
    the half, coaches orders W -- T 11, 40min xtraining F -- S
    AM 10.3, including 3.5mile tempo PM 7.9 including 4x1200 in
    4:08/4:09/4:15/4:14. Slightly slower than last week but
    pretty happy with it given I did it on the same day as the
    tempo, and was still sore. S 12

    Total: 56

    Cheers,

  15. In article <rinr50ti80k25tlq3s2q23r33gnavuikf1@4ax.com>, joe positive wrote:

    > This week had some good workouts as well as a couple of
    > days where I was really tired. I read somewhere that your
    > hard workouts should force you to go easy on your easy
    > workouts (i.e., run the hard stuff

    The main thing to watch for is drops in performance on the
    interval workouts-- if you have trouble meeting target pace,
    that's a bad sign.

    What's your overall race plan ? Have you considered throwing
    in a phase of about 4 weeks at the end of the season where
    you do slightly less milage ? Combining hard interval
    sessions and milage can temporarily blunt ones performance.
    Tapering isn't just for marathons, it also works for end-of-
    season sharpening for shorter races.

    Cheers,

  16. Ryan Pearman

    Ryan Pearman Guest

    Goals: Boston (4 weeks!) in 2:57, break 37:30 in a 10k two
    weeks from today

    M: dnr
    N: 8, ~7:15 pace
    O: 11, 6:45 MP effort (6:30 treamill pace), downhill
    (bricks under back legs)
    P: 6, ~7:00 pace
    Q: 7, 7:30 pace
    R: 23, 7:30-8:00 pace (with friends, yay!)
    S: 6, 7:30 pace (after I send this off) Total: 61, my
    peak week.

    Next week, 18 mile long run using a half marathon as a MP
    tempo run.

    The downhill treadmill run was cool, it really felt easy
    (gotta remember that), but I was introduced to delayed onset
    muscle soreness on Thursday/Friday. =) I'll repeat that run
    (but shorter) closer to boston.

    --Ryan

  17. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Ryan Pearman wrote:
    > Goals: Boston (4 weeks!) in 2:57, break 37:30 in a 10k two
    > weeks from today
    >

    > The downhill treadmill run was cool, it really felt easy
    > (gotta remember that), but I was introduced to delayed
    > onset muscle soreness on Thursday/Friday. =) I'll repeat
    > that run (but shorter) closer to boston.

    Just a thought, but you might want to be careful how close
    to Boston and how hard you do your downhills if doing them
    close. Remember how long it took to recover completely this
    time, and assuming same duration /intensity allowing at
    least that much recovery time. The training effect pulse is
    supposed to last for about 6 wks.
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0009.htm

    Better yet if you can do them outdoors and get a better feel
    for pounding downhill on pavement. I've done downhills on
    treadmill and found only a little relation between that and
    downhill on trails (but largely because of grade and footing
    on trail hills, but soem visual cues also) or even the
    occasional road hills I do (gravel strip at edge).

    Good luck!

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  18. Dot

    Dot Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    > ... and the big taper leading to the ATB30k race is
    > nearing it's final days. The race is next Sunday, and is
    > easily the biggest, most important race of my running
    > "career" to date. All these days off are leaving me with
    > too much energy. I'm nervous and antsy.

    Good luck, David! Save the energy for race day! You've done
    a lot of training, and it looks like your race strategy has
    matured a lot in the last year or so - having better control
    over your pace.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  19. Goal: Keep increasing mileage, work on lowering 5K/10K times.

    M: DNR Tu: 6 x 800m working up from 10K to 5K pace, with
    strength/power work in between; 4 miles wu/cd
    N: 5.2 easy Th: DNR
    O: 8 Sa: DNR Su: St. Patty's 10K, 41:23, plus 4 cd

    Total 30.3

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
    and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
    Churchill

  20. "SwStudio" <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<7w57c.7408$R37.1726@read1.cgocable.net>...

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    MON rest (nothing but rain) TUE 1:30 XC skiing (0:40 hard)
    WED 1:30 XC skiing (easy, but hard going on wet soft snow)
    THU 1:30 plyometrics, strides etc indoors FRI rest (rain)
    SAT 10K race (in pouring rain, as a long hard run; legs
    wooden, ankles non-elastic, etc) SUN 1:30 jogging in what
    used to be XC skiing tracks; good strength session, perhaps.

    I´ve marked this week down as Week One of My Running Year
    2004, but there´ll still be some overlapping with My
    Skiing Year.

    Goals: the same as the previous year (and the one before and
    the one before that). Sub-3, sub-37, sub-1:21, staying injury-
    free - all or any of those four, I suppose, would do...

    Anders

Share This Page