Training Year Ending 2003

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

2615M so far

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

88 & 0

> 3. What was your longest run?

40 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Entered 13, started 11, finished 10 (7 50K+, 3 20M+)

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best: a trail marathon where I won my AG after a 3 month rehab from a heart condition that had the
potential to limit my running to no more than 5 miles. No worst as everything before the heart
condition was done as training for a 100 miler and everything after I was just thankful to do.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

My first after the heart condition; a 3M that took me 40 minutes but I WAS running!

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Snow, sleet, hail, rain, 60MPH wind and ankle deep mud the consistancy of pudding during a 40 miler
featuring 10,000' of climb.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Western States 100 miler; No because of the heart condition.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Continue my recovery and if everything goes OK, the Javelina Jundred in October.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

The longest journey begins with the first step.

--
- The Trailrunner

Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

Trails of The Diablo Valley *Running - Hiking - Nature*

Wow, tough to follow this guy....

1. MILES? I don't do miles I do HOURS - and I totalled 180. (180 hours = 120 running 60 hours
nordic skiing) For those of you who solely run that is about the equivalent of 1500 miles
this year.

2. Highest/lowest - High mileage week 50miles - low zero.
3. Longest run 26.2 miles
4. One race this year - 26.2 miles in 3:21
5. Best and worst performance - see above. It was my best also my worst - my PR for the marathon is
2:51 so I was well off that.
6. Favorite run was with my CC team ( I coach high school) along the pictured rocks national
lakeshore (www.nps.gov/piro) ... 15 miles of awesome shoreline with 180 foot sandstone cliffs.
7. Craziest weather? Nordic skied 10 miles in -10 deg F conditions. Ran 10 miles in a howling
snowstorm through 8 inches of slush.
7/1. Goals? Run Bayshore Marathon - met it. Same for next year. Would like to do a couple ski
marathons too.
8. Quote? by my high school CC team "Cross country - finally a good use for golf courses."

Jeff Kalember

"The Trailrunner" <TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
>
> 2615M so far
>
> > 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
>
> 88 & 0
>
> > 3. What was your longest run?
>
> 40 miles
>
> > 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
>
> Entered 13, started 11, finished 10 (7 50K+, 3 20M+)
>
> > 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
>
> Best: a trail marathon where I won my AG after a 3 month rehab from a heart condition that had the
> potential to limit my running to no more than 5 miles. No worst as everything before the heart
> condition was done as training for a 100 miler and everything after I was just thankful to
do.

> > 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
>
> My first after the heart condition; a 3M that took me 40 minutes but I WAS running!
>
> > 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
>
> Snow, sleet, hail, rain, 60MPH wind and ankle deep mud the consistancy of pudding during a 40
> miler featuring 10,000' of climb.
>
> > 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
>
> Western States 100 miler; No because of the heart condition.
>
> > 9. What are your goals for 2004?
>
> Continue my recovery and if everything goes OK, the Javelina Jundred in October.
>
> > 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
>
> The longest journey begins with the first step.
>

> --
> - The Trailrunner
>
> Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*
>
> Trails of The Diablo Valley *Running - Hiking - Nature*
> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/6016/

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
I don't know. I just started in April and only began recording distance in October. I've averaged
about 150-160 miles per month since then. I'd guess my total is around 900 - 1,000.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
Lowest - 0 (any week prior to mid-April) Highest - 54 miles last week.

> 3. What was your longest run?
Marathon in October.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
1 marathon. 1 1/2 M 1 5 mile xc 1 2 mile xc

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
Marathon gets both. It was great and awful at the same time.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
The 1/2 M was hugely enjoyable.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
A wild thunderstorm. I only ran 3 miles but It was against the wind in driving sleet for the 1st 2
miles. The lightning was scary.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
Didn't have any.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
1)To comfortably run Marathon distance and beyond.
2)To improve general running speed.
3)Losing 10-11 lbs would be nice too, but not important (other than it would help with #2)

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
I don't know any.

Colm

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
I quit logging in early August after injury, 1770 at that point so I'd guess somewhere between 2100-
2200 miles.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
High 67 Low 0

> 3. What was your longest run?
27.5 (marathon plus warm up)

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
around 25.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
Several were important to me hard to name a best, 19:34 k where I blew away
28:00, Tybee Island Marathon a 25 minute PR and BQ and best of all a 4 miler in April that was a big
PR and my wife came up behind me as usual buried her in the last mile. The worst, a 22:56 5k in
October, felt awful.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
A 22 miler last January with three teammates who are all considerably faster than me, Their marathon
PRs are 2:25, 2:45 and 3:01, I managed to stay with them at a pace that was well under my Marathon
goal pace. It gave me the confidence I needed to run a BQ.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
Just about any day last January, single digit temps with howling winds.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
BQ sub 20 5k, sub 43 10k , Yes, yes and no.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
Get healthy, get back to the shape I was in last winter and set some new PRs. I'd also like to
qualify for Boston again at Boston.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
>

> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners!

> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.

> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

531 miles (last year it was 345)

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

28 and 0 (lots of them)

> 3. What was your longest run?

6 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

one. a 5K.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

the 5K - 20:56

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

none that i can recall...

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

nothing really that crazy.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

top of my list was to maintain a 20 mpw mileage. didn't achieve that. only 9 weeks with 20 or
more miles.

also wanted to run 1000 miles for the year. didn't achieve that either.

about 5K, i think i wanted to do either a sub-19 or sub-18. didn't achieve either.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

a consistent 20 mpw mileage.

1000 miles for the year.

sub-19 5K.

sub-5 mile.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

none that i can think of right now.

jobs

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
Not enough. Due to: bruised ribs, strained groin muscle, bicycle crash and finally twisted ankle.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
through 35

> 3. What was your longest run?
11 miles

3

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
Most enjoyable 2004 race experience was the Al Breide Gold Cup run in New Orleans. Nice local race
with gumbo and beer after the race.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
A 1 hour run through Chamonix, France. Ran above town in the hills across from Mont Blanc and then
along the river on a walking path.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
8 mile run in January with sub zero wind chill. But the bay I ran along was mostly frozen over.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
Keep injury free. I don't know if I did that since my only 1 of my injuries was running related.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
Keep injury freen and build a base for my first year as a Master.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them." - Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)

Andy

32 degrees <[email protected]> wrote:
> Wow, tough to follow this guy....

> 1. MILES? I don't do miles I do HOURS - and I totalled 180. (180 hours = 120 running 60 hours
> nordic skiing) For those of you who solely run that is about the equivalent of 1500 miles
> this year.

> 2. Highest/lowest - High mileage week 50miles - low zero.
> 3. Longest run 26.2 miles
> 4. One race this year - 26.2 miles in 3:21
> 5. Best and worst performance - see above. It was my best also my worst - my PR for the marathon
> is 2:51 so I was well off that.
> 6. Favorite run was with my CC team ( I coach high school) along the pictured rocks national
> lakeshore (www.nps.gov/piro) ... 15 miles of awesome shoreline with 180 foot sandstone
> cliffs.
> 7. Craziest weather? Nordic skied 10 miles in -10 deg F conditions. Ran 10 miles in a howling
> snowstorm through 8 inches of slush.
> 8/9. Goals? Run Bayshore Marathon - met it. Same for next year. Would like to do a couple ski
> marathons too.
> 10. Quote? by my high school CC team "Cross country - finally a good use for golf courses."

> Jeff Kalember

If you don't mind where do you coach Jeff? U.P.? I miss the nordic skiing up there when I was in
Houghton, and I swore I'd do Pictured Rocks until I won it (but skipped this year!). Andy Hass

1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Not many, 726 miles, or about 13 miles per week.

: 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

and 30

: 3. What was your longest run?

2.2, Tucson Marathon

: 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

3: 5k, 10k, 5k, 5k, half marathon, marathon

: 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best: Tucson Marathon, because I ran my first marathon Worst: Samurai 5K in LA, 2 minutes lower than
my PR. I train at 5000 feet elevation, but this was at sea level!

: 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Bolder Boulder 10K. It always a fun run. I ran it 12 days after hernia surgery, and came in within
30 seconds of my PR

: 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

I'll admit it: I avoid bad weather (and it's not hard to do here in Colorado).

: 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Run a marathon, and yes I *ran* it (albeit slowly, with the required walking through water
stations).

: 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Run several races in cities I have never visited before.

: 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Run, Forest, run!

David Pinedo

SwStudio wrote:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

3272 km (2034 miles) Last year was previous high of 1524 km (947 miles)

Managed to remain injury-free and build a base through the first half of the year. Second half has
been focussed on marathon preparation. Monthwise: 116 123 125 143 137 165 192 129 218 251 241 194
(miles/month)

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

104km (65 miles) and 25 km (16 miles)

> 3. What was your longest run?

35km (22 miles) long training run ahead of marathon

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

15.Jan 12k road 47:27 Mar 10.45k cross country 42:05 Mar 10k road 39:39 May 1/2M road 1:34:39 (long
course, hilly, very hot) May 3K road 11:13 May 8K trail 32:21 June 8K trail 33:23 June 3000m
track 10:48 June 8K trail 31:56 Oct 10.5k trail 43:25 Oct 10K road 38:39 Nov 10K road 37:35 Nov
3.3K road 11:30 Nov 8K trail 32:59 (MP run) Dec 1/2M road 1:23:56

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best was last 10K where the conditions were very windy. I ran a 1 minute PR and a 3rd place in my AG
after catching a runner with 100m to the line. Worst was probably the 8K trail race in June - a hot
day and I was somewhat lacklustre.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

The family was at the beach. I decided to go for a 20 minute "jog". After 5 minutes I found myself
on a totally isolated stretch and kept going. Great feeling and it ended up a 35 minute (would have
kept going but didn't want family to start a search party :) ) tempo run in bare feet with a great
swim afterwards.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

A few runs in mid-summer in the middle of the day stick in my mind. At the other extreme (at least
for here) running on the track with lots of snow, and a couple of runs in driving rain.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

16. Injury free. Yep.
17. Steady increase in mileage. Yep.
18. Main goal race -wise was next week's marathon...
19. PR's in 10K and 1/2M Yep.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

See above. In general remain injury-free and try to take it to the next level.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

See Hadd. www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm No specific quote but that thread had a big influence on me. I
slowed most of my runs down and using the Heart-rate monitor was a fascinating learning experience.

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
Started training seriously in September, and since then I've done 646km.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
Lowest - 8km (moving house) Highest - 69km

> 3. What was your longest run?
22km through a forest in the dark with a head torch.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
5K, 2x10K, 5mile XC, 1/2M

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
These aren't my best or worst in absolute terms, but relative to how I should have done...

Best was my first ever race, a 5K a few weeks after joining the club and starting proper training.
Followed another guy round, perfectly paced, and just edged under 20minutes, absolutely knackered.
Worst was today. Pacing was pretty even, but I just didn't push hard enough. Got 39.46 (10K) which
was a PB and all (over 5K too!), but after crossing the line and recovering from the finishing
sprint, I felt fine. Hadn't pushed hard enough - should have been much closer to 39minutes.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
Got up one morning and decided to go for a slow short plod. Hardly anyone around, and very foggy and
moody. It was great.

The 1/2 was great too - good atmosphere, good weather, lots of runners.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
Pretty boring weather here really. Plenty of rain of course, but nothing else

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
Start running seriously - tick Get a place in London marathon - nope Go sub-40 for 10K - tick

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
Sub-3hr marathon which is my only declared time goal. I'm keeping the others close to my chest for
the moment.... Keep enjoying running

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
Only thing that springs to mind is the loud and continuous swearing from me and the other runners
around me when we hit a particularly sticky patch on the x-c.

Ben Blaukopf

I have been lurking on and off depending on what my other priorities are.
Compared with all the eventful postings to this thread above, as a light
weight and low volume recreational runner my year end summary is uneventful.
But here it is anyhow:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
330 miles;

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
From 12 to 0;

> 3. What was your longest run?
4 miles;

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
1, Turkey Trot 5K Road Race;

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
5K / 21:10 is the only race, a brutally hilly course (for me);

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
3 miles at the Canadian Rockies with breathtakingly beautiful mountain view while on
vacation in July;
3.5 miles along the scenic Sunset Beach in Vancouver, Canada while on vacation in July;

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
a 4-mile run around 0F in mid-Jan.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
Have fun and be injury free. Yes, since May;

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
Same as in 2003 (keep having fun and being injury free) with a slight increase of distance, and a
couple of more fun races;

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
No.

Last but not least, thanks for all the running tips that I got from this NG.

Tian

Fun with statistics...
Miles run:
Goal: 4000
2002: 3152
2003: 4000 (was on pace for 4400 until October, but took a lot of rest since).

Days off: 23 before Oct 12th and 25 after for 317 days of running So... 10.96 miles/day averaged
or 76.7/week
2004.62 miles/day averaged or 88.3/week if you only count days run At an estimated average of
6:30/mile, 433.33 hours spent running. This is 18.06 straight days, or 5% of the year.
1.19 hours/day. This doesn't count prep/travel/cleanup time of course.

Goals for 2003 and results: 4000 miles - got it barely
2005:30 5k (15:20 really) - only raced one, 15:37. But far from peak shape in that February race and
went for 15:15 and fell apart at 2 miles.
2006:30 10K - on pace for 31:40 for 9k then dropped out when side stitch I'd had for all but the
first half lap of the race got too bad to breath. So I missed it badly with 32:30 (solo in
wind) being my fastest finish but I know I was in shape for it.
2007:10 half marathon in June, 1:09 in Sept. - missed both. 1:10:12 in June and a 1:10:58 severely
over-trained in September. I'll get it this year though.
2008:25 marathon for sure (2:22 attempt) - on pace for 2:22 for half the race at Chicago then many
separate problems combined to lead to DNF at 16.5 miles. Probably not in shape to finish 2:22
even on a good day, 2:23-4 probably doable though.

Goals for 2004: 5k - 15:20 track if I run any in shape, 15:30 road 8k - 25:30 road if I run any 10k
- 31:30 on track, 32:00 on road half marathon - 1:09:30 marathon - 2:26 at Boston

Andy Hass

Let's see, I ran 1578 miles this year. Highest week was 54 miles Lowest week was 11 (Injury) Longest
run was 26.2 miles Entered 4 races All races were pretty good 2 10K's at 45:20 1 half marathon at
1:41:01 (AG rating here was 65.8) 1 marathon at 3:47:08 The big goal for 2003 was to qualify for
Boston which for a 51YO male is
3:35. Missed it slightly but considering the day of the MCM it was 70D, 90%RH was happy with the
result. Came in 10th out of 260 51 YO males in the race. Goals for 2004? Just to enjoy the
sport. Favorite quote? From an internet poster "The marathon is a 20 mile training run and 10K
of hope". Doug Burke

Doug Burke

SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

about 62 hrs running logged (whatever distances I have logged are approx and several without
distances) about 126 hrs cross-training logged (mtb, swim, xt, hike, snowshoe, xc ski, doesn't
include field work)

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
1 race - beat last year's time by about 18-19 min out of town for goal race 3rd race was cancelled

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

running above treeline on Lazy Mtn (ok, I could only do some of the "down" direction and a short bit
of "up", but hey, it's a start).

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Probably the rain and mud and incredibly warm "winter" we had in Alaska last year. High winds
reactivated some local landslides, and it was kinda neat listening to the rolling rocks (just a few)
in the dark. I decided that would be a good point to turnaround.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

no. out of town for goal race. but surpassed goals for my alternate goal.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

2002 I explored a lot and sampled different types of running events 2003 I learned about hills and
what works/doesn't work for me; also learned some cross-training and PT workouts to help hill
running and strengthen achilles

2004 see if we can put the pieces together in an injury-free program; do a xc race in fall (didn't
do any of these in 2002, so that's a type I didn't sample in 2002)

Owing to vagaries of race schedules and my field season, I think I'm going to focus on some personal
goals and do what races work out. (Translation: just saw the 2004 schedule a few days ago and what I
had been planning may not fit with field schedule, depending on a lot of things, and am re-thinking)

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"Be very choosy upon what you set your heart - for if you want it strongly enough, you'll get it" (I
think it's butchered from Ralph Waldo Emerson, but I prefer the butchered version and is what's on
my bulletin board.)

"Why the hurry when you are going to be out all day?"

- Bill LaDieu (a r.r response to a question about eating and drinking on
the run on trail runs)

Happy New Year everyone!

Dot

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

First, David, thanks for maintaining this thread all year.

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
1006 miles

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
The lowest was zero; the highest, 38 mile; the average, 20 miles

> 3. What was your longest run?
26.2 miles. Twin Cites Marathon in October

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
Two. The marathon and a lovcal 5K

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
See #4

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
The marathon was something else. It was my first, and many things about it will stick with me for a
long time. But a few weeks before that, I ran my longest training run (24 miles) and at the halfway
point, I felt so incredibly good that I really felt, for the first time ever, that I was a runner.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
Every year it is the same. Snow ans cold for months on end. Mostly it was cold and not so much snow
this year.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
To complete my first marathon and run 1000 miles again. I had hoped to finish the marathon in <4
hours, but I will have to take another shot at that time goal this year.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
A marathon in <4 hours; continued running for fitness; drop maybe 5-8 more pounds; stay uninjured
(not nesessarily in that order).

Brian Jones

Doug Burke wrote:

> Favorite quote? From an internet poster "The marathon is a 20 mile training run and 10K of hope".

I hear this a lot and said so often people accept and expect it. It's a common discussion items but
I still believe if people used a 4-5 month marathon cycle, a slower build up of LSD to include 24-26
miles sadand stay under the injury radar, run negative splits race day, the last 10k does not have
to be run on a wing and a prayer, aka hope.

Dot wrote:

> "Be very choosy upon what you set your heart - for if you want it strongly enough, you'll get it"
> (I think it's butchered from Ralph Waldo Emerson, but I prefer the butchered version and is what's
> on my bulletin board.)

"Be careful what you set your heart on, for it will surely be yours." ;)

Staying with Ralph, "What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a
half an hour."

"The timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness; and knows that yesterday is but today's memory
and tomorrow is today's dream." Gibran, Kahlil

I like my original quote better. :)

> Fun with statistics... Miles run: Goal: 4000
> 2002: 3152
> 2003: 4000 (was on pace for 4400 until October, but took a lot of rest since).

Oh, and.... Highest week = 131 miles last week of January lowest week = 0 in October never ran under
50 miles/week until mid-October Miles/week # of weeks in that range -10 1 10-19 1 20-29 1 30-39 0
40-49 3 50-59 4 60-69 9 70-79 5 80-89 7 90-99 9 100-109 5 110-119 4 120-129 1 130+ 1 This puts the
median week in the mid-80s. Andy Hass

Doug Freese wrote:

> Dot wrote:
>
>> "Be very choosy upon what you set your heart - for if you want it strongly enough, you'll get it"
>> (I think it's butchered from Ralph Waldo Emerson, but I prefer the butchered version and is
>> what's on my bulletin board.)
>

> "Be careful what you set your heart on, for it will surely be yours." ;)
>
> Staying with Ralph, "What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a half
> an hour."
>
> "The timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness; and knows that yesterday is but today's
> memory and tomorrow is today's dream." Gibran, Kahlil
>
> I like my original quote better. :)

Different strokes ;) I need the phrase "if you want it strongly enough" to emphasize that aspect,
slightly redundant, but redundant systems are good.

I like your other quotes, though.

Dot

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
>Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Not many at all. Very inconsistent training.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

lowest: 0 (a couple of times, due to illness) highest: low 30's

> 3. What was your longest run?

20 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

6 (8k, 2x10k, 2x10 mile, marathon) well, 5. One of those 10k's was running with a friend
at his pace.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Have to say that none of them were very good. No surprise given health issues, weakness of
training, and a hot and soggy humid summer.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Managed to sneak in some nice snow and rain runs. The 20 miler before marine corps was very good
in both weather and how I felt.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Crazy? If you're running, how can it be crazy?

Maybe the most challenging weather was the times the temperatures were in the mid teens (F), there
was snow on the ground, and 20-30 mph winds. But I'm sure that Dot can confirm that this isn't
very extreme at all.

Ok, actually it was more challenging to be running in the 70+ dew point weather, and a
lot less fun.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Rebuild base was the goal. Did not get that.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Rebuild base. Drop a few needless pounds. Translate Ajax for consideration at my community
theater. Start work on a science book I've had in mind for a while. Put on a good race April 10th
(keep your eyes on http://www.pgrc.org/ for details :)

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Keep putting one foot in front of the other!

--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this