Trek 7500 hybrid frame size - standover question

Abc

Guest
Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.

I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
That is about to change in the next week.

I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
(headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my arms are short compared to my torso. (My hands
hang down at my sides at least a few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf with
extra long clubs.)

But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an inch of clearance - if that.
(And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely resting on the top tube!)

I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing soprano".
But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.

I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.

My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of 22.9", head angle of 71.5
degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5", horizontal top tube of
22.2", head angle of 70.5 degrees, wheelbase of 41.8"

QUESTION: Is there a good reason to bring the 22.5" bike back after 11 months with no miles on it
and attempt to get the 20.0" frame size before putting any miles on my 22.5" bike?

Thanks in advance! :)

Bud South Bend, Indiana, USA

ABC wrote:

> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>
> I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
> That is about to change in the next week.
>
> I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
> (headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my arms are short compared to my torso. (My
> hands hang down at my sides at least a few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf
> with extra long clubs.)
>
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an inch of clearance - if
> that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely resting on the
> top tube!)
>
> I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing
> soprano". But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.
>
> I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.
>
> My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of 22.9", head angle of 71.5
> degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5", horizontal top tube of
> 22.2", head angle of 70.5 degrees, wheelbase of 41.8"
>
> QUESTION: Is there a good reason to bring the 22.5" bike back after 11 months with no miles on it
> and attempt to get the 20.0" frame size before putting any miles on my 22.5" bike?
>
> Thanks in advance! :)
>
> Bud South Bend, Indiana, USA

I have a bike that fits like that. (19 inch Marin Larkspur). It's a tall bike, and the top tube is
too close for comfort - much higher than my old mtn bike. With some seat fore and aft adjustment,
and (fortunately) a threaded headset, it fits quite well. I've manage to ride it about 7 days a week
for the last couple years. I could not return it unused as I was so ready to ride that I rode it
home from the bike shop - let my sweety drive! But the answer your question? Damned if I know! Enjoy
your ride, whatever you do! Bernie

> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>
> I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
> That is about to change in the next week.
>
> I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
> (headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my arms are short compared to my torso. (My
> hands hang down at my sides at least a few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf
> with extra long clubs.)
>
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an inch of clearance - if
> that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely resting on the
> top tube!)

From what I've read, that's generally considered to be safe clearance for a road bike. Off road
would be a different matter. However, how does the rest of it fit? Is it too long? If so, then you
could try to return it, but almost a year later, I doubt they would take it back without charging
you a significant portion of the price as a "restocking" fee. If it feels like it fits ok, then I'd
say keep it.

"ABC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jTlLa.4564
> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.

<snip>

> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an
inch
> of clearance - if that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely
> resting on the top tube!)
>
> I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing
> soprano". But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.
>
> I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.

If the bike shop even considered your torso size when fitting you for the bike, I would guess that
they have a pretty good idea of what they are doing. There are two ways to deal with long
torsos/arms with shorter legs. First is to add a much longer stem to a normal frame. This can impart
strange handling characteristics to the bike. Second is to get a frame with an appropriate length
top tube. This can be done with a frame that fits in length but is tight in height or can be
accomplished with a custom-built frame (expensive!). If they suggested a larger frame would be more
comfortable, they probably fit you properly.

As for clearance on a hybrid, it usually isn't much of a concern. Clearance only becomes an issue
when you are going up a steep hill and can't quite make it. We aren't talking about a steep road. We
are talking about trails that have much more challenging hills. It's not likely that this will ever
be an issue for you.

I would much rather ride a bike that fits me properly when I'm pedaling and has close tolerances
when I'm stopped than a bike that is just too small. In fact, one of my favorite road frames has
very close tolerances downstairs, but this has never been an issue, even when being used as the tow
mule for the family trailer (with the slower speeds and many stops for helmet adjustments, dropped
water bottles, etc.).

Get out there and ride for a while. If there are problems with how the bike fits, I'm sure that they
will show up in other areas, not your family jewels.

-Buck

ABC wrote:
> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>
> I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
> That is about to change in the next week.
>
> I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
> (headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my arms are short compared to my torso. (My
> hands hang down at my sides at least a few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf
> with extra long clubs.)
>
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an inch of clearance - if
> that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely resting on the
> top tube!)
>
> I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing
> soprano". But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.
>
> I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.
>
> My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of 22.9", head angle of 71.5
> degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5", horizontal top tube of
> 22.2", head angle of 70.5 degrees, wheelbase of 41.8"
>
> QUESTION: Is there a good reason to bring the 22.5" bike back after 11 months with no miles on it
> and attempt to get the 20.0" frame size before putting any miles on my 22.5" bike?

Bud, I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam. I have the 22.5 inch frame and the standover clearance is no
problem. I got it that way on purpose because it was for commuting & I didn't want the handlebars to
be the 'fashionable' 2-4 inches below the seat. With this frame I can have them at seat level, which
works better for me. Just don't jump to the front of the bike when you dismount, and you'll be OK.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Hi Bud 1" of clearance is fine. It keeps the seat low and the handlebars high. Many people find this
fitting more comfortable.

I believe you were sized right.

"ABC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an
inch
> of clearance - if that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely
> resting on the top tube!)

I cannot imagine many people 6'2" that would take the 20" 7500. Sounds like the shop fit you
correctly, since those bikes don't have very long top tubes (very few hybrids do) and the 22.5"
would best fit your torso. Don't worry about standover height on a hybrid, unless you plan on using
it for acrobatics (and it's really the wrong bike for that!). The key is to have the three contact
points (pedals, seat and bars) in the right place.

We sell lots of 7500s, and I'm as confident as I can be without seeing you that you were fit
correctly.

"ABC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>
> I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
> That is about to change in the next week.
>
> I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
> (headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my
arms
> are short compared to my torso. (My hands hang down at my sides at least
> few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf with extra
long
> clubs.)
>
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an
inch
> of clearance - if that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely
> resting on the top tube!)
>
> I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing
> soprano". But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.
>
> I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.
>
> My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of
22.9",
> head angle of 71.5 degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5",
> horizontal top tube of
23.2",