Trek bike prices is AU

ohmic

Jun 6, 2004
Hey,

I am in the process of looking at a Trek bike in which I have noticed that bike shops do not seem to be moving off the RRP, but offering larger discounts off accessories.

Has anyone else noticed this is AU?

If people have got good discounts off current model Treks where in AU?

Almost feels similar to Polar who basically fix there prices and do not allow people to discount the bikes that much.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
ohmic

ohmic said:
Hey,

I am in the process of looking at a Trek bike in which I have noticed that bike shops do not seem to be moving off the RRP, but offering larger discounts off accessories.

Has anyone else noticed this is AU?

If people have got good discounts off current model Treks where in AU?

Almost feels similar to Polar who basically fix there prices and do not allow people to discount the bikes that much.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
ohmic

Hendry Cycles give good discounts on Trek.

When I was looking for a new bike last year I found the same thing and the discount being offered on accessories were minor and on very inflated prices in the first place.

I kept looking until I found a shop having a sale (Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney) with 30% and more off many top brand bikes including Trek and Klein. I think it is a yearly thing in May so it might be worth your while to wait a couple of months or find a sale elsewhere. Paying RRP sucks especially when you see the same models for almost half the price in the US.

Pat

You can get Polar on Ebay for way less than RRP including shipping from the US and at least one Australian seller.

Pod,

The problem with the buying a polar off ebay is that you do not get a warranty from polar.

Cheers Ohmic

Check out: http://www.colinbailey.net/imagesebay/ppwarning.htm

From the above web site:

"Pursuit Performance are the only official Australian importers of Polar Heart Rate Monitors and to get a warranty that they will honour you MUST buy from an authorised dealer appointed by Pursuit Performance. Pursuit Performance insist that their authorised dealers must not discount their HRMs, or sell them for less than the RRP on eBay. "

and

"You need to double (or triple) check the other resellers on eBay - some say you get an international warranty card (you get one from us too - but it is worthless unless you have a receipt from an authorised Polar dealer). Unless other Polar sellers are registered for GST they cannot issue you with a tax invoice - and without an invoice you have no chance of any future warranty claim."

Cheers,
Ben.

ohmic said:
Check out: http://www.colinbailey.net/imagesebay/ppwarning.htm

From the above web site:

"... Pursuit Performance insist that their authorised dealers must not discount their HRMs, or sell them for less than the RRP on eBay. "

If the above was true, it would be a clear breach of the Trade Practices act and Pursuit could face fines of literally millions of dollars. All a distributer can do is 'recommend' a retail price, 'fixing' is illegal.

Polar do offer a world wide warrantee and the feedback on the US sellers that I've read includes instances of faulty Polar products being returned and replaced with no hassles.

i don't want to get into the polar debate, but as for the trek bikes, they get discounted, by the distributor across all LBSs around october ish.

i remember an ad at the back of bicycling australia with those discounted prices advertised. $400 off the low-mid range road bikes (1400 and 1500) and around 600 off 2xxx series models.

some shops still may carry 04 bikes and obviously you'd get a good deal on these but most shops are reluctant to do a good deal on 05 bikes early in the year. word has it that 10spd ultegra bikes are in high demand and in turn are selling for the full rrp

www.dickinsons.com.au sells Polar monitors over the net and at there store in Melbourne for huge savings and are an authorised dealer. I bought An S625X for $475 includeing frieght to Perth. Most bike shops will sell there bikes at about a 10-15% discount if your paying cash.