Turning On A Busy Road

biobrandedarmorzet

Jun 13, 2015
Hi everyone.

I recently picked up a little road bike, and love the idea of riding my bike to work.
It's only two miles, and most of the way has paved bike paths, but the last little bit of about 3-400 yards or so, I have to turn on a very busy road, and I have to turn left to get to my office parking lot.

There is no bike lane, sidewalk, or really much of a safe path.

My question is if I'm in the right lane, and need to turn left, should I ride in the middle of the street and block traffic and risk getting rear ended? or ride on the side of the road and wait to cross when its clear?

There is a bike lane on the other side of the street, but I think most people recommend not riding against traffic

I'm planning on leaving earlier in the morning, and I'm swinging by the bike shop today to get a flasher and light.

If you're on the road, you are a vehicle. Act like one.

If you're turning left, you have two choices. Merge left until you're in the left turn lane or on the leftmost side of the leftmost straight lane (where you'd normally turn a car from), or get off the road, dismount and cross the road as a pedestrian.

i've been a motorcycle rider for several years, and the amount of people that fail to see a giant 600lb touring motorcycle is pretty high, I figured less people would be aware of a 20lb bike.

If i do sit in the street and wait for a clear spot to turn in the office driveway, cars will probably drive around me, and one probably won't see me. I've been rear ended on a motorcycle because of the same situation.

I have to turn left into a driveway at work, but I only have one lane. Generally I try to slow down and hit a gap in traffic. In my case I can usually continue coasting slowly even past the driveway and eventually U turn back and turn right.

If there's a gap early, I'll merge over and let the cars slow down behind me if I'm only going to be in the lane for 100 feet or so. I won't stay in the lane for 1/4 mile or anything.

The biggest problem I have is people slowing down to get past me. I'm in the shoulder, and usually there are gaps in traffic that I could get through, but drivers will slow down when they get near me, and that causes all the gaps to close up.

Slowing and merging into gaps in traffic is probably the best way... but it requires a good eye to merge both the gaps on the left and right side of the street. Practice and a good mirror, help.

Looking at that situation and knowing how inattentive drivers can be during the morning commute, I'd go with the "pull off to the right side and then cross the street when safe". No matter how many bright blinky lights you have it'd take just one person focused on texting instead of driving to really spoil your day.

You need to ride on the side until traffic is clear so that you can turn. If bikes had indicators it could have been safer to indicate and then turn. You may not use hand signs on a busy road. You may also join a minor road ahead of you and then turn to later join the major road where you were riding.

Totalarmordestine said:

If you're turning left, you have two choices. Merge left until you're in the left turn lane or on the leftmost side of the leftmost straight lane (where you'd normally turn a car from), or get off the road, dismount and cross the road as a pedestrian.

This is correct information, act like you would driving your car. Use hand signals to make your intentions known and gradually make your way to the turn lane looking for cars of course that won't let you through. When in the turn lane stay behind any cars that are in front of you, do not come along their side, do not cut in front of them, remember, like you're driving a car this is the best way to maintain visibility and they know your intentions, then go as fast as you can when the light changes staying off the bumper of the car in front in case they stop suddenly, and gradually sweep over to the far right side of the road as you go through the turn.

If all of that bothers you then when you're on the right side of the road approaching the intersection, dismount your bike at the crosswalk and walk across the intersection like a pedestrian when it's legal to do so, then remount the bike once you're headed in the direction you need to go.

Always use hand signals when you're about to turn. I'm shocked at the number of cyclists who no longer use hand signals on the roads these day. Never ride against the traffic, this is another common mistake many cyclists make. And try to switch lanes during times when there is minimal road traffic, never try to switch lanes at the last minute. This way you will avoid many mishaps and be on the right side of the law.

Also you are perfectly legal to take a lane and it's safer in a lot of cases. If you see a turn lane coming up ahead then when traffic allows and you've signal, move from the far right side of the road and take that lane, then signal again and move to the turn lane and take that lane. Some motorists will have a fit, but it's entirely legal to take the lane. There are a lot of circumstances were taking the lane is necessary. If I'm riding on a city street and there's cars parked or there isn't any room to ride on the far right and it's busy I just take the lane, I'm keeping up with traffic so no problem.

Another thing, if you're heading straight or going to turn right and you come up to a lighted intersection or a stop and the street is busy, you are better off taking the lane and follow the cars through the intersection or around the right turn, if you stay to the far right motorists turning right may not see you (or saw you but hate the idea of having to wait for you to clear the intersection!) and turn right into you or squeeze you against the curve which especially happens with high profile vehicles like motor homes and trucks. Stay behind vehicles in heavy traffic it's safer. If you're behind a high profile vehicle stay behind them but to their right just enough so you can see their face in their side mirror, and maintain at least 6 feet from the rear of those vehicles because they can roll back a bit when they start to go.

This is one of my concerns about commuting as well. I do have a left turn into the parking lot, but that road isn't very heavily trafficked so it isn't my main concern. The problem spot I have is where I would need to make a right turn onto a busy road, and then a couple of lights later make a left turn. I worry about getting over 2-3 lanes in morning traffic, and then sitting at the light to make the turn. There are two left turn lanes and two straight lanes. Which left turn lane do I use? If I'm commuting early and there aren't any cars waiting to turn, will I trigger the left turn signal, or will I be stuck waiting for a couple of cycles of the light until a car comes to my rescue?

You use the lane that puts you into the right lane when you turn right then stay to the far right, once you get past the first light start looking for when you can move over to left turn lane, once you get there you stay in the right left lane or the left lane closest to you so when you turn you're not having to cut across a lane of traffic to get to the right side...unless that left turn is coming up within a few hundred feet of when you turn than go to the far left turn lane and stay left when you make your turn. Don't feel like you're buffoon if you have to use cross walks at any of those intersections to accomplish what you need to do, better arriving to work safe than having co workers arriving at your funeral!

Totalarmordestine said:

This is what I'd do. The key to riding safely on busy streets is to BE PREDICTABLE. Riding like you're a law abiding motorist is safest because people are generally used to what you're doing. If you signal, and just make sure not to take any unnecessary risks, you're most likely going to be okay. I think the problem a lot of people have with cyclists is they perceive them to be erratic, so it's easy to get around that by just making sure to obey the rules of the road. You're not really that big of a nuisance if you're taking a lane. You're probably adding a couple minutes to their trip. On the other hand, trying to stay on the side of the road, only to cut across at the last minute to make your turn makes you less predictable so you might get hit by someone who doesn't know what you're doing.