Using The Sauna For Recovery And Other Benefits

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
Did you know that sauna is not only a good way to detox yourself but it also helps in recovery after a gruelling long run or an intense interval and it's also good for the brain and it can also make you resilient! I usually go once or twice a month but I would like to know if there's anyone here who does it on a regular basis and what benefits you get from it?

There's a sauna at the pool my friend (another cyclist) and I visit, so I usually end up using it once a week or so. I'm not sure about any long term benefits, but it's a really good way to de-stress and relax sore muscles after a ride, especially when it's cold out. That's the main reason why I like it. I feel like it helps keep my skin looking nice as well.

There are saunas in my hometown but they are located a bit out of my way. I only used one a few years ago and I did find it quite relaxing and enjoyable. However, it wasn't a during a day where I did something that was physically grueling. Therefore, I didn't feel a huge difference in my physical well-being. I should consider going there again after I've cycled all day long.

If I were Finnish I would sauna daily.

Being American, the closest I can come in either house is a hot shower. Back in the hippy days we built a huge sauna and heated large sandstone rocks in an outdoor fire. We used garden forks to fish the hot stones out of the fire transported them in old wash tubs into a central pit in the sauna room. a ladle of water splashed on them every so often provided steam so hot we could barely breath...but that hot, moist air opened up the lungs and sinuses like nothing else I've experienced in life.

Dry saunas don't get it, for me. Give me steam!

There are a couple of saunas that are close by.

I've never used one but I have a friend who does and she says they are really enjoyable, so I'm thinking about giving one a try myself.

Yes I use it as often as possible. There are lots of benefits. If your muscles are sore. Loosing water weight and slimming down. Good for your skin, it helps detoxify the body. The sauna is actually a really great tool if you are serious about stepping up your game. Using hot and cold on the body is really good for you. Keeps you slender and more adaptable.

No, I didn't know all that! Is that why you chose that icon? Because you open yourself up to facts like this? Gotta add sauna to my bucket list. Or just things to do every once in a while. The way they portray it on TV, it MUST feel good.

I do a lot of swimming, and I am able to make the most of the health suite - including the sauna - when I go to swim. This is something that I really enjoy a lot of the time, and I do find that it can relax my muscles and mind when I have done a lot of exercise like riding in recent days. It certainly takes some of the pain away, and means that my muscles don't hurt as much when I wake up the next day, so that's great as far as I am concerned.

If I were Finnish I would sauna daily.

Dry saunas don't get it, for me. Give me steam!

When I'm in Finland, I usually do go to sauna daily. I wish I had one here. Nothing better after a cold weather ride, I would think.

The steam is essential. The Finnish word for sauna steam (as opposed to your every day ordinary steam) is almost impossible for any native English speaker to pronounce. :D

And that's how sacred sauna is to them---they have a special word for the steam produced by tossing water on hot rocks.

Löyly!!!

Every now and then I will see a really expensive home for sale with one of those pre-fab saunas installed in the master bath or near the pool room or the exercise/gym room. I even saw two of the new, un-installed steam sauna booths for sale recently.

Neither house has an ideal spot to install one of those 2-person booths with benches and glass doors, but I might buy one if the price was right and wire it in to the finished part of the basement.

Hey there! While I can't say I'm a regular sauna-goer, I do appreciate its benefits, especially for recovery after long bike tours. I think it's a great idea to incorporate sauna sessions into your routine, especially if you're putting your body through intense workouts.

From my experience, saunas can help alleviate muscle soreness and improve circulation, which can be beneficial for overall recovery and performance. The heat can also help open up your airways and improve lung function, which can be helpful during high-intensity workouts.

As for going on a regular basis, I would recommend starting with once or twice a week and seeing how your body responds. It's important to listen to your body and not overdo it, especially if you're new to sauna use. Make sure to stay hydrated and give yourself time to cool down gradually after each session.

Additionally, it's worth noting that sauna use can have mental benefits as well. The heat and relaxation can help reduce stress and improve mood, which can be helpful for overall well-being and mental health.

Overall, I think sauna use can be a great addition to any training routine, especially for those who enjoy long-distance cycling or running. Just remember to start slow and listen to your body to avoid any potential issues. Happy sauna-ing! :)

Absolutely, saunas can be quite beneficial! Regular sauna use has been shown to improve cardiovascular function, which is crucial for endurance athletes like us. It can also aid in muscle recovery and relaxation, reducing the risk of injury. However, for those with atrial fibrillation (AF), it's important to consult with a healthcare provider first, as the heat can potentially trigger AF episodes. Personally, I incorporate magnesium supplements, a healthy diet, and vitamins to manage and prevent AF, in addition to cycling. But I'm always open to new ways to enhance my health and performance. Cheers to exploring the benefits of saunas! :)

Saunas can indeed be beneficial for endurance athletes, as regular use can improve cardiovascular function and aid in muscle recovery. However, it's important to note that saunas can also cause dehydration, so it's crucial to stay hydrated before, during, and after sauna use.

Additionally, while saunas can help with muscle relaxation, it's worth considering other recovery methods such as foam rolling, stretching, and active recovery rides. These methods can also help reduce the risk of injury and improve overall performance.

In terms of managing atrial fibrillation (AF), it's great that you're taking a proactive approach by incorporating magnesium supplements, a healthy diet, and vitamins. It's also worth exploring other lifestyle factors that may contribute to AF, such as stress management and sleep hygiene.

Overall, saunas can be a valuable tool for endurance athletes, but it's important to approach them with a holistic view of health and wellness, considering all the factors that can impact performance and recovery.

Absolutely, incorporating sauna use into an endurance athlete's routine can have numerous benefits, but it's crucial to balance it with other recovery methods. Have you considered the impact of heat training on performance, which can simulate the effects of a sauna and potentially lead to further adaptations? Additionally, stress reduction techniques such as meditation or yoga can also complement sauna use and contribute to managing atrial fibrillation.

Saunas are great for relaxation and overall health. They can improve circulation, help with muscle recovery, and even promote detoxification. Have you tried any specific types of saunas, like infrared or steam? How has your experience been? ‍♀️

I've tried both infrared and steam saunas and they each have their unique benefits. Infrared saunas use heat and light to penetrate the skin, promoting detoxification and improving circulation. On the other hand, steam saunas create a wet heat environment that can help with muscle recovery and relaxation. Personally, I enjoy switching between the two to experience different sensations. Biking regularly has also helped enhance my sauna experiences, as it helps to increase blood flow and promote muscle recovery. ‍♀️

Ah, I can relate! Saunas are like the cherry on top of a good cycling session . Infrared's detoxifying heat is perfect for those post-ride aches, while steam saunas' muscle-relaxing benefits pair nicely with the increased blood flow from cycling. Ever tried a cool-down ride before hitting the sauna? It's like an active recovery party for your muscles ‍♀️!