Value Of 2012 S-works Tarmac Sl4

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I'm looking at purchasing a used S-Works SL4 with Sram Red components. The bike has around 2500 miles. He's asking $4k with the stock Roval's or $5k with Zipp 404's. Is this a good price? I've read a few posts regarding frame failures on the Tarmac, is this something to worry about?

Good price?

I don't think so ...

Potential problem with Tarmac frame failure?

I don't know -- but if you are in doubt, then why even wade-in-those-waters?

Regardless, I think that if you are planning to pony up $4000-to-$5000 then you can do a lot better ... new-or-used.

Ok, point me in the right direction. What should I be looking at. I've found some better deals on Ebay, but this bike was local which is why I was considering it.

Well ...

FWIW. It's not really for me to say what type of bike you should be buying ...

Particularly, since I don't think that the frame is as important as many other people think it is for the typical, non-sponsored rider ...
  • One thing that does matter is tire clearance ...
    obviously, that isn't a factor for most riders
  • but, I think that many-or-most "race" bikes still cannot accept tires bigger than 700-28

That's a round-about way of saying that unless your frame is trashed (which I presume it is not), the reason for a new frame is either for more tire and/or fender clearance due to different riding conditions ...

OR, for ego (absolutely nothing wrong with that!!!).

So, if you don't need more tire clearance, then I think you may just want to pony up for one of the PINARELLO framesets which has apparently already caught your eye.

If the current cost is outside your immediate budget, then I recommend that set aside some money through the next 12+ months & that you then wait until you can afford it or a Colnago or De Rosa ... etc.

And, for this season ...

<$200 +/- ... a pair of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters (very highly recommended to give you the most bang for your buck) + new cables/housing (as needed)

Again, the 11-speed Campagnolo shifters will work with your current 10-speed Shimano configuration.

$600+ ... above + either current (?) rims laced to DT240 hubs OR laced to almost any Shimano hub OR any seemingly boring 32h/32h ready-to-ride wheelset from EXCEL, COLORADO CYCLIST, etc.

OR ...

$1000+ Bianchi frameset with your "stuff" moved over

$2000+ ... Pinarello-or-comparable frameset with your "stuff" moved over

et cetera.

You may-or-may-not come to the same conclusion which I have that different frames with-the-same-components-and-wheels ride pretty much the same regardless of the material if the geometries (particularly, the head tube angle) are the same.