veg eating in vienna - fab!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Katie, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Katie

    Katie Guest

    hello all,
    returned from my adventures. was worried about finding veg food in the land
    of schnitzel, but there turned out to be veg restuarants all over the place!
    and really awesome ones too. the best part was that most of the ones i went
    to were very vegan friendly but also had lacto-ovo options and one even had
    fish, which was good since my dad was able to find food to his liking. my
    fave was a place called the bio bar, they had this awesome dish (probably
    the most yummy thing i've ever eaten in my life) which was beer battered
    tofu served with this vegetable curry-ish concoction - seemed like a spinach
    and lentil thing with these itty bitty potatoes in it. soooooo gooooood.
    i've got to try to make that. one thing though is that when the chef is
    different, the same thing ordered on the menu comes out almost completely
    different; different vegetables and everything. that's kinda weird, but
    good for variety if you're a regular, i guess. they also had some awesome
    desserts. still have a chunk of their nougat sitting in my fridge - you can
    only eat a tiny bit of that stuff at a time, it's so good. another good
    place was inkal, it had really delish bruschetta, and i tried a vegan
    schnitzel there (which was tasty, but all that wheat gluten & side fries
    didn't sit well with me!) the most posh place we went to was called wrenkh,
    good food, great presentation. a really nice atmosphere. they had these
    really good non-deep-fried springrolls in a rice wrapper. and a yummy
    tofukebab. the only other place i really went to was a veg-friendly chinese
    place, this huge 2-storey place that had neat decorating, i think it was
    called go wok. their menu had a good legend on it for what was vegetarian.
    pretty tasty food too. anyhow, i found all but the last of these
    restaurants on the happy cow website (there are many more out there, but i
    didn't wind up finding them). here's the link:
    http://www.happycow.net/index.html

    Tags:

  2. Rubystars

    Rubystars Guest

    "katie" <veggie_hed@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello all, returned from my adventures. was worried about
    > finding veg food in the
    land
    > of schnitzel, but there turned out to be veg restuarants
    > all over the
    place!
    > and really awesome ones too. the best part was that most
    > of the ones i
    went
    > to were very vegan friendly but also had lacto-ovo options
    > and one even
    had
    > fish, which was good since my dad was able to find food to
    > his liking. my fave was a place called the bio bar, they
    > had this awesome dish (probably the most yummy thing i've
    > ever eaten in my life) which was beer battered tofu served
    > with this vegetable curry-ish concoction - seemed like a
    spinach
    > and lentil thing with these itty bitty potatoes in it.
    > soooooo gooooood. i've got to try to make that. one thing
    > though is that when the chef is different, the same thing
    > ordered on the menu comes out almost completely different;
    > different vegetables and everything.

    Maybe I'm just used to uniformity, but when I order things
    from a restaurant I want it to look and taste the same every
    time I order it. If I want something different, I'll order
    something different.

    -Rubystars

  3. Sid Derra

    Sid Derra Guest

    "katie" <veggie_hed@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello all, returned from my adventures. was worried about
    > finding veg food in the land of schnitzel, but there
    > turned out to be veg restuarants all over the place! and
    > really awesome ones too. the best part was that most of
    > the ones i went to were very vegan friendly but also had
    > lacto-ovo options and one even had fish, which was good
    > since my dad was able to find food to his liking. my fave
    > was a place called the bio bar, they had this awesome dish
    > (probably the most yummy thing i've ever eaten in my life)
    > which was beer battered tofu served with this vegetable
    > curry-ish concoction - seemed like a spinach and lentil
    > thing with these itty bitty potatoes in it. soooooo
    > gooooood. i've got to try to make that. one thing though
    > is that when the chef is different, the same thing ordered
    > on the menu comes out almost completely different;
    > different vegetables and everything. that's kinda weird,
    > but good for variety if you're a regular, i guess. they
    > also had some awesome desserts. still have a chunk of
    > their nougat sitting in my fridge - you can only eat a
    > tiny bit of that stuff at a time, it's so good. another
    > good place was inkal, it had really delish bruschetta, and
    > i tried a vegan schnitzel there (which was tasty, but all
    > that wheat gluten & side fries didn't sit well with me!)
    > the most posh place we went to was called wrenkh, good
    > food, great presentation. a really nice atmosphere. they
    > had these really good non-deep-fried springrolls in a rice
    > wrapper. and a yummy tofukebab. the only other place i
    > really went to was a veg-friendly chinese place, this huge
    > 2-storey place that had neat decorating, i think it was
    > called go wok. their menu had a good legend on it for what
    > was vegetarian. pretty tasty food too. anyhow, i found all
    > but the last of these restaurants on the happy cow website
    > (there are many more out there, but i didn't wind up
    > finding them). here's the link:
    > http://www.happycow.net/index.html

    funny - i just went to eat at a vegan restaurant in vienna
    on saturday. you are right... vienna is a pretty vegan
    friendly place... especially considering the typical
    austrian cuisine. if you havent tried the following
    restaurant yet and should come back some time you HAVE to
    try the restaurant VEGETASIA (there are actually 2 in
    vienna). they have about 140(!) different meals - approx.
    85% of them are vegan, all the others are marked "with
    eggs" etc and they will try to turn those into vegan dishes
    as well...

    it basically is an asian restaurant (it says something about
    taiwan in the menu), actually fancy enough for business
    meetings, but still very comfy and also affordable. it was
    just great. the menu features pretty much any meal you can
    imagine: some fish - even eel, variations of duck and
    chicken and of course the classic asian cuisine as well. i
    had a baked chicken with roasted veggies and a rice cake
    with sweet beansauce and poppy seeds as dessert. the best
    meal i had in austria in years. all together cost incl. a
    drink eur 16,55.

    wrenkh is very well known all throughout the country and it
    is THE vegetarian restaurant in austria. i have never been
    to the bio bar - did you try the vegetarian "wuerstelstand"
    (= "sausage stand" - a kinda classic austrian kiosk that
    sells vegan and vegetarian snacks such as franks, etc)? it
    is pretty well known as well - still i avent made it to
    either of these places so far... maybe next time.

    where are you from originally?

    rock on - sid

Share This Page