vintage Motobecane

meangenius

Oct 15, 2005
what does anyone know about a Motobecane sprintour? It has "2040 High-resiliency tubing", shimano 600, and in pretty good shape, besides being dirty. I have a chance to get it for 10 bucks and want to rebuild it. I am totally new to the road cycling world (ex-mtber) and am very excited about getting my start. I do know that it is about 20 years old.

I've just acquired a sprintour. It's made in France. A mid to low budget bike from around 1978 with reynolds 20 40 tubing, weinmann brakes and wheels, motobecane crankset, 2x5 gears, shimano 600 derailleurs and downtube shifters. The wheels are 27" (not 700) so take 630 tyres. Handlebar cover is one piece and includes the brake hoods.

meangenius said:
what does anyone know about a Motobecane sprintour? It has "2040 High-resiliency tubing", shimano 600, and in pretty good shape, besides being dirty. I have a chance to get it for 10 bucks and want to rebuild it. I am totally new to the road cycling world (ex-mtber) and am very excited about getting my start. I do know that it is about 20 years old.

This is a Motobecane from the original company, made in France as Skiz said. The problem that you are going to run into is that the bottom bracket is probably French threaded. There is a limitted availability of French threaded BB components out there. Most manufacturers have standardized to the English threaded BB and they are not interchangeable.