Watts is watts...right?

Bike4Him

Oct 17, 2009
I had the opportunity to ride some 7% hills and expected to post some bigger wattages.
My averages were similar to what I do on the relatively flat roads around home.
My times at level 4 and above weren't much different either.
The only difference, my average cadence was down from 85+ to 75 during about 2 hours of riding.
I didn't feel really fresh but I drove to the hills so I rode.
My question...Is there a difference in training benefit or are watts just watts?

Good links above. Due to the difference is neuromuscular demands of riding flats vs. hills, most people find it easier to producer higher watts on a climb...at least I do. If I'm performing an interval and I hit a hill, I'm always happy because it feels a bit easier to hold the wattage.

I had the opportunity to ride some 7% hills and expected to post some bigger wattages.
My averages were similar to what I do on the relatively flat roads around home.
My times at level 4 and above weren't much different either.
The only difference, my average cadence was down from 85+ to 75 during about 2 hours of riding.
I didn't feel really fresh but I drove to the hills so I rode.
My question...Is there a difference in training benefit or are watts just watts?
For the most parts it is just watts.

If you sit in the saddle, you may pedal in the same manner as on the flats. If you stand up, you will work different muscles - but you can do that on the flat also.

The big difference is that when you stop pedaling your bike stops faster. So you might pick up some endurance on the hills.

LOL. Not that I fully understand the very nature of this thread, but the name of it really caught my eye there...And obviously gave me a little chuckle. Classic.

In this context, watts are watts. 10 rpm isn't going to change that to any extent worth worrying about.

Maybe get some higher gearing if you're worried about it.