Weight and genetics

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bear, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. Bear

    Bear Guest

    I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)

    I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".

    Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines who
    can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner better
    half.

    Just a thought.
    --
    Bear-
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr :eek:)

    Tags:

  2. Wrong.

    --
    You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

    "Bear" <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    > and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    >
    > I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    >
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    > eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    > obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines
    > who
    > can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner
    > better
    > half.
    >
    > Just a thought.
    > --
    > Bear-
    > Grrrrrrrrrrrr :eek:)
    > 353/284/210

  3. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    "Bear" <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> writes:
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat?

    Actually, there's been a lot of research into the "thrifty gene",
    which changes the balance between "tendency to store energy" and
    "tendency to burn energy".

  4. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <64Kdncku9ptuaBfcRVn-vw@comcast.com>,
    "Bear" <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    > and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    >
    > I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    >
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    > eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    > obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines who
    > can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner better
    > half.
    >
    > Just a thought.

    I think genetics plays a role, sure. Some people really do have to work
    harder to be thin than others, and some people put on muscle mass easier
    than others. Not everyone who is thin has to work at it, so it's not just
    about self control. Maybe they don't have the urges to overeat, so they
    don't have to exercise self-control to stay thin.

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  5. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    Bear wrote:

    > I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    > and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    >
    > I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    >
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    > eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    > obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines who
    > can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner better
    > half.
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Hi Bear,

    I'm under the impression that you're a woman (I can be wrong, apologies if I've
    got it wrong). Assuming that your better half is a man and that you're a woman,
    asuming that you are similarly sized, then your better half is going to burn
    more calories than you in each day.

    I don't know who's taller between the 2 of you, and I don't know who weights
    more between the 2 of you. But the chance is that your better half has a higher
    BMR than you. So if you eat the same amount of food, it's very possible that
    your better half will stay thin and you'll put on weight slowly but surely.

    Ada

  6. BJ in Texas

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Bear wrote:
    || I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers
    || side is thin and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky"
    || :eek:)

    Genetics is a very real part of weight. It just means that some
    of
    us (I am included) have to work a little harder at it than
    others.

    BJ

  7. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Bear wrote:
    > I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    > and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    >
    > I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    >
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    > eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    > obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines who
    > can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner better
    > half.
    >
    > Just a thought.

    I am sure that with all of the complexities in digestion of food, there
    is ample room for genetics.

    Quite a few of the food and diet books make mention of those lucky
    people who can eat lots of food and never get fat.

    I don't think it is the clothes they buy that makes for that particular
    difference.

    JIm

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

  8. A Ross

    A Ross Guest

    In article <64Kdncku9ptuaBfcRVn-vw@comcast.com>, "Bear"
    <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is
    > thin
    > and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    >
    > I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    >
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    > eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    > obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines
    > who
    > can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner
    > better
    > half.
    >
    > Just a thought.

    My mother's female relatives on her father's side are all pear-shaped
    women. We joke about the family trait, and have dubbed it "The Marshall
    Ass." My youngest sister is the only one of us girls (five of us!) who
    inherited this trait. I favor my father's side--thin legs, no butt,
    broad shoulders, and a tendency to gain weight in the belly area (the
    dreaded apple shape).

    Amy
    168/115

  9. tcomeau

    tcomeau Guest

    "Bear" <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<64Kdncku9ptuaBfcRVn-vw@comcast.com>...
    > I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    > and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    >
    > I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    >
    > Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    > eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    > obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines who
    > can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner better
    > half.
    >
    > Just a thought.

    I think it has more to do with dietary habits being passed on from
    mother or father to daughter or son.

    A family that eats more carbs will be fatter and the kids will learn
    to eat the same way and will feed their kids the same way.

    TC

  10. BJ in Texas

    BJ in Texas Guest

    tcomeau wrote:
    || "Bear" <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> wrote in message
    ||| I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my
    ||| fathers side is thin
    ||| and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    ||| I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    ||| Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what
    ||| we eat? My dad
    ||| eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know
    ||| this seems
    ||| obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of
    ||| libertines who
    ||| can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much
    ||| thinner better
    ||| half.
    ||| Just a thought.
    || I think it has more to do with dietary habits being passed on
    || from
    || mother or father to daughter or son.
    || A family that eats more carbs will be fatter and the kids
    || will learn
    || to eat the same way and will feed their kids the same way.
    || TC

    Interesting, environmental rather than genetic. It could be very
    difficult to tell the two apart.

    BJ

  11. FOB

    FOB Guest

    There is definitely a genetic component to weight. It makes sense. There
    is a genetic component to everything else about us, why would weight be
    different.

    "Bear" <sfpolarbear@comcast.net> wrote in message
    I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side is thin
    and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)

    I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".

    Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat? My dad
    eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know this seems
    obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch of libertines who
    can't control themselves. I don't eat much more than my much thinner better
    half.

    Just a thought.
    --
    Bear-
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr :eek:)
    353/284/210

  12. FOB

    FOB Guest

    It doesn't have to be one or the other, both play a part. That's true about
    most everything about us.

    "BJ in Texas" <bjtexas@hotmale.com> wrote in message
    tcomeau wrote:

    Interesting, environmental rather than genetic. It could be very
    difficult to tell the two apart.

    BJ

  13. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Bear is a man.

    In news:cmfol4$f72$1@news.abdn.ac.uk,
    Ada Ma <ada_ma2001@DONOTSPAMMEYOUEEJIThotmail.com> stated
    | Bear wrote:
    |
    || I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side
    || is thin and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    || I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    || Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat?
    || My dad eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know
    || this seems obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch
    || of libertines who can't control themselves. I don't eat much more
    || than my much thinner better half.
    || Just a thought.
    |
    | Hi Bear,
    |
    | I'm under the impression that you're a woman (I can be wrong,
    | apologies if I've got it wrong). Assuming that your better half is a
    | man and that you're a woman, asuming that you are similarly sized,
    | then your better half is going to burn more calories than you in each
    | day.
    |
    | I don't know who's taller between the 2 of you, and I don't know who
    | weights more between the 2 of you. But the chance is that your
    | better half has a higher BMR than you. So if you eat the same amount
    | of food, it's very possible that your better half will stay thin and
    | you'll put on weight slowly but surely.
    |
    | Ada

    Bear is a man.

  14. Joan

    Joan Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <jcderkoenig@ibm.com> wrote in message news:<aJCid.8442$fC4.56@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Wrong.
    >
    > --
    > You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

    What a terrible, insulting signature! If it's meant to portray you as
    one evolved as witty, gay, cosmopolitan, suave, debonair,
    intellectually curious, -- let me tell you, it failed.

  15. BJ in Texas

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Joan wrote:
    || "JC Der Koenig" <jcderkoenig@ibm.com> wrote in message
    ||| Wrong.
    ||| --
    ||| You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW
    || What a terrible, insulting signature! If it's meant to
    || portray you as
    || one evolved as witty, gay, cosmopolitan, suave, debonair,
    || intellectually curious, -- let me tell you, it failed.

    Somebody actually reads sigs?

    BJ

  16. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    I just found out from his other post! And now I feel bad because I feel as if I
    have made him to come out to the ASDLC... But then it's hard to tell as you
    know, you can never tell from the way a bear grrrrrrr......

    FOB wrote:

    > Bear is a man.
    >
    > In news:cmfol4$f72$1@news.abdn.ac.uk,
    > Ada Ma <ada_ma2001@DONOTSPAMMEYOUEEJIThotmail.com> stated
    > | Bear wrote:
    > |
    > || I was thinking about my family and how everyone on my fathers side
    > || is thin and most everyone on my mothers side is "chunky" :eek:)
    > || I look more like my mom than my dad and I'm "chunky".
    > || Anyone else think there's more to being big than just what we eat?
    > || My dad eats whatever he likes and at 80 is thin and active. I know
    > || this seems obvious, but it helps to know that we're not just a bunch
    > || of libertines who can't control themselves. I don't eat much more
    > || than my much thinner better half.
    > || Just a thought.
    > |
    > | Hi Bear,
    > |
    > | I'm under the impression that you're a woman (I can be wrong,
    > | apologies if I've got it wrong). Assuming that your better half is a
    > | man and that you're a woman, asuming that you are similarly sized,
    > | then your better half is going to burn more calories than you in each
    > | day.
    > |
    > | I don't know who's taller between the 2 of you, and I don't know who
    > | weights more between the 2 of you. But the chance is that your
    > | better half has a higher BMR than you. So if you eat the same amount
    > | of food, it's very possible that your better half will stay thin and
    > | you'll put on weight slowly but surely.
    > |
    > | Ada
    >
    > Bear is a man.

  17. BJ in Texas

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Ada Ma wrote:
    || I just found out from his other post! And now I feel bad
    || because I feel as if I have made him to come out to the
    || ASDLC... But then it's hard to tell as you know, you can
    || never tell from the way a bear grrrrrrr......

    I think most of us that have been around a while were aware
    of the situation.... so what..

    BJ

  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    BJ in Texas wrote:
    :: Ada Ma wrote:
    :::: I just found out from his other post! And now I feel bad
    :::: because I feel as if I have made him to come out to the
    :::: ASDLC... But then it's hard to tell as you know, you can
    :::: never tell from the way a bear grrrrrrr......
    ::::
    ::::
    ::
    :: I think most of us that have been around a while were aware
    :: of the situation.... so what..
    ::

    Right. No biggie.

  19. FOB

    FOB Guest

    He came out here a long time ago.

    In news:cmgoqh$lkd$3@news.abdn.ac.uk,
    Ada Ma <ada_ma2001@DONOTSPAMMEYOUEEJIThotmail.com> stated
    | I just found out from his other post! And now I feel bad because I
    | feel as if I have made him to come out to the ASDLC... But then it's
    | hard to tell as you know, you can never tell from the way a bear
    | grrrrrrr......
    |

    | FOB wrote:
    |
    || Bear is a man.
    || In news:cmfol4$f72$1@news.abdn.ac.uk,
    || Ada Ma <ada_ma2001@DONOTSPAMMEYOUEEJIThotmail.com> stated
    ||| Hi Bear,
    ||| I'm under the impression that you're a woman (I can be wrong,
    ||| apologies if I've got it wrong). Assuming that your better half is
    ||| a man and that you're a woman, asuming that you are similarly sized,
    ||| then your better half is going to burn more calories than you in
    ||| each day.
    ||| I don't know who's taller between the 2 of you, and I don't know who
    ||| weights more between the 2 of you. But the chance is that your
    ||| better half has a higher BMR than you. So if you eat the same
    ||| amount of food, it's very possible that your better half will stay
    ||| thin and you'll put on weight slowly but surely.
    ||| Ada
    || Bear is a man.

  20. Pat

    Pat Guest

    :
    : A family that eats more carbs will be fatter and the kids will learn
    : to eat the same way and will feed their kids the same way.
    :
    : TC

    I can't agree with your supposition. I have one son who is a bit overweight
    at 6' tall and 220 pounds and the other one is 6'2" and 150 pounds. They
    grew up in the same family. My thin son looks like his grandfather on the
    maternal side, though. The guy eats and eats but can't gain much. He is a
    weight lifter and looks great--but thin. The overweight son was a cyclist
    and a skier, but he can't seem to lose the excess poundage.

    Pat in TX

Share This Page