Well, that was a brilliant afternoon!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Bright here; blustery, fast moving clouds, warm. Went out for a good fast
    40 mile workout with some friends, coming back via the last 'mountain'
    prime of the first stage of the Tour of Britain. And then back home just
    in time to watch the last 10Km of the Vuelta stage and see a storming
    solo victory by Vino, who is in my opinion beginning to look very
    dangerous again; then switch over to BBC2 and see an absolutely textbook
    team sprint by Quickstep on the last lap of the London criterium,
    peeling off one by one with military precision as if in a velodrome to
    deliver Tom Boonen to the line. Magnificent team work. And, even better,
    Martin Pedersen came home in yellow for CSC, so the man from my
    favourite team who won the first stage in my home town went on to win
    the tour. Most, most excellent.

    Sastre is riding a canny Vuelta and controlling his losses, but in my
    opinion the costs of having ridden three GTs this year are showing. He
    did brilliantly and I was cheering for him, but Valverde is doing better
    and Vino, if he can be consistent, is in better form still.

    Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
    but pick up the pieces.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Bright here; blustery, fast moving clouds, warm. Went out for a good fast
    > 40 mile workout with some friends, coming back via the last 'mountain'
    > prime of the first stage of the Tour of Britain. And then back home just
    > in time to watch the last 10Km of the Vuelta stage and see a storming
    > solo victory by Vino, who is in my opinion beginning to look very
    > dangerous again; then switch over to BBC2 and see an absolutely textbook
    > team sprint by Quickstep on the last lap of the London criterium,
    > peeling off one by one with military precision as if in a velodrome to
    > deliver Tom Boonen to the line.

    Spoiler alert Shirley. I'd just DVD'd the bugger ;-)

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Bright here; blustery, fast moving clouds, warm. Went out for a good fast
    > 40 mile workout with some friends, coming back via the last 'mountain'
    > prime of the first stage of the Tour of Britain. And then back home just
    > in time to watch the last 10Km of the Vuelta stage and see a storming
    > solo victory by Vino, who is in my opinion beginning to look very
    > dangerous again; then switch over to BBC2 and see an absolutely textbook
    > team sprint by Quickstep on the last lap of the London criterium,
    > peeling off one by one with military precision as if in a velodrome to
    > deliver Tom Boonen to the line. Magnificent team work. And, even better,
    > Martin Pedersen came home in yellow for CSC, so the man from my
    > favourite team who won the first stage in my home town went on to win
    > the tour. Most, most excellent.

    I thought that Mark Cavendish did a really good sprint to get third -
    very quick and if he had started a few places further up would have
    been a serious contender for the win.

    And just seen the tallbiketour guys doing a loop behind Chris Boardman
    during the post race summing up.. ;-)

    ...d

  4. benjo maso

    benjo maso Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Bright here; blustery, fast moving clouds, warm. Went out for a good fast
    > 40 mile workout with some friends, coming back via the last 'mountain'
    > prime of the first stage of the Tour of Britain. And then back home just
    > in time to watch the last 10Km of the Vuelta stage and see a storming
    > solo victory by Vino, who is in my opinion beginning to look very
    > dangerous again; then switch over to BBC2 and see an absolutely textbook
    > team sprint by Quickstep on the last lap of the London criterium,
    > peeling off one by one with military precision as if in a velodrome to
    > deliver Tom Boonen to the line. Magnificent team work. And, even better,
    > Martin Pedersen came home in yellow for CSC, so the man from my
    > favourite team who won the first stage in my home town went on to win
    > the tour. Most, most excellent.
    >
    > Sastre is riding a canny Vuelta and controlling his losses, but in my
    > opinion the costs of having ridden three GTs this year are showing. He
    > did brilliantly and I was cheering for him, but Valverde is doing better
    > and Vino, if he can be consistent, is in better form still.

    And what a pity that Vino for "ethical" reasons wasn't allowed to
    participate in the Tour!

    Benjo

  5. Benjo wrote:

    >And what a pity that Vino for "ethical" reasons wasn't allowed to
    >participate in the Tour!

    They didn't have anything on him, just that his team was short, right?

    Well, he's clearly got plenty of motivation!

    --
    ciao,
    Bruce

    drift wave turbulence: http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

  6. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > And, even better,
    > Martin Pedersen came home in yellow for CSC, so the man from my
    > favourite team who won the first stage in my home town went on to win
    > the tour. Most, most excellent.

    this dude, pedersen looks like a fire hydrant. i've never seen a
    protour rider built like that.

  7. david lloyd

    david lloyd Guest

    "Bruce Scott TOK" wrote
    > Benjo wrote:
    >
    > >And what a pity that Vino for "ethical" reasons wasn't allowed to
    > >participate in the Tour!

    > They didn't have anything on him, just that his team was short, right?
    >
    > Well, he's clearly got plenty of motivation!

    What is really gaulling is that those riders of his team that were dropped
    from the tour squad were later exonerated!

    --
    Dave Lloyd
    So open minded, my brains dribbled out.

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <zG%Kg.119202$fV1.137@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david lloyd
    ('dldl11345@blueyonder.co.uk') wrote:

    > "Bruce Scott TOK" wrote
    >> Benjo wrote:
    >>
    >> >And what a pity that Vino for "ethical" reasons wasn't allowed to
    >> >participate in the Tour!

    >> They didn't have anything on him, just that his team was short, right?
    >>
    >> Well, he's clearly got plenty of motivation!
    >>

    > What is really gaulling is that those riders of his team that were
    > dropped from the tour squad were later exonerated!

    Errr... no. The Spanish courts later said they weren't being pursued for
    any offence under Spanish law. As doping isn't an offence under Spanish
    law, that isn't very surprising. We'll have to wait and see.

    ;; If God does not write LISP, God writes some code so similar to
    ;; LISP as to make no difference.

  9. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    david lloyd wrote: