What do u think of this frame?

usagrown

Jan 31, 2011
Brand New in box never used or built up 2001 Schwinn Fastback Ltd.
I bought this frame back in 2001 when Schwinn's frames were still made in the USA. It is a Fastback Ltd, only a few hundred were made. I never ended up getting into road riding, but the thought process was I could just let it sit and build it up when ever I decided to get into road riding. It is a high end race ready frame and weighs in at 2.5 lbs. It is a size medium. Is the lightness a turnoff for some people? I used to be a hardcore MTB rider but my job took me away from that, and I am lucky if I get out MTB once or twice a year. I am looking to get rid of this frame and I know what it is worth to the right person, I know that is the key. Anyway just looking for some input.

to get rid of it... it seems you are not too attach to this frame, anyway if you want to sell it i would use ebay and wait for some steel oriented
buyer to get interested. other than that it is not a Colnago or other Italian steel wizards that you own, so sell it to the right prize and don't expect too much of it ---- specially since standard size parameters for accesories have change a lot since 2001, it could turn out hard to equip this frameset properly ---

thanks for your reply vspa...i think i forgot to mention that it is an aluminum frame...curious why u mention steel?

FWIW. I think that no one knows the size OR geometry of the frame.

Headset type-and-size?

Seatpost size?

et cetera.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100043736
m0b00st,
this isn't the same frame as mine, IDK what year it is but mine is a 2001 and was built in the USA. I got it in 2001 just before Pacific Cycles bought out Schwinn.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/483180/2001-schwinn-fastback-ltd-frame-brand-new-in-box

alfeng,
yea i know it would help to have the geometry specs of the frame, i have tried finding the spec sheet online to no avail...i saved the geometry specs electronically on my hard drive when I bought my bikes back in 2001. I had the geo specs for everyone i bought, because I knew some day they would be useful. I bought a Rocket 88 full suspension, Homegrown limited hardtail, Homegrown factory, and the Fastback limited all from Supergo. They supposedly bought all of the inventory from the Durango, Co factory and were hucking it for half msrp. So i jumped all over it. I saved all of the Specification sheets Schwinn had for them but just recently pulled an ass move and accidentally erased them from my back up external hard drive. All I know is it is a size medium. I measured from the center of the BB to the center of the top tube/ seat post junction and got roughly 16.5 inches or 41.91 cm. The headset is a Cane Creek ICBM, and again I have no specs for the diameter etc...I have some friends that used to be Schwinn dealers for 30 yrs. until Schwinn sold out. They might have some old catalogs.

Anyway just looking for some input.
If I had it, and it was the right size, I'd add it to the stable and maybe ride it in the winter. If I needed to get rid of it I wouldn't expect to make a whole lot of money.

Brand New in box never used or built up 2001 Schwinn Fastback Ltd.
I bought this frame back in 2001 when Schwinn's frames were still made in the USA. It is a Fastback Ltd, only a few hundred were made. I never ended up getting into road riding, but the thought process was I could just let it sit and build it up when ever I decided to get into road riding. It is a high end race ready frame and weighs in at 2.5 lbs. It is a size medium. Is the lightness a turnoff for some people? I used to be a hardcore MTB rider but my job took me away from that, and I am lucky if I get out MTB once or twice a year. I am looking to get rid of this frame and I know what it is worth to the right person, I know that is the key. Anyway just looking for some input.

I am dredging up a VERY old thread, but I just happened upon it. What did you end up doing with this frame? Did you build it up and ride it? Did you sell it?

I have a similar frame, and the story goes that just prior to bankruptcy, the local Schwinn representative offered bike shop employees the ability to purchase these frames (and probably other frames) at a very low cost. However, while my frame matches yours in looks and anodizing color, the difference is that my frame either never had the graphic stickers added, or they were removed carefully.

I'd love to hear back.