What do you think is the biggest gimmick in bike equipment?

The "Versus Tour Tracker", especially since they play the same coverage of the Tour over and over again on a virtually endless loop.

I love every minute of it but I'm not spending $30 to watch it online too.

RE: cell phones and helmet mirrors.

I always take my phone, and recently was really glad to have it after an unpleasant face-plant on the pavement. I had no "serious" injuries, but there was no way I was going to be able to ride back home with a gash in my chin that was pouring blood, and an ambulance ride to the hospital for what ended up being three stitches would have been almost embarrassing. Because I had the phone, was able to call the wife and get picked up and then on to the ER for a fixing up. In addition, I use an app and the GPS function on my phone to track all of my rides, which is a plus.

As for helmet mirrors, I had one on my old helmet, but not on my new one. I actually miss having it. I think it is actually safer for those who ride in high traffic areas, I can see what is coming from behind without having to turn my head, which limits frontal view for a split second and is less stable, especially when riding at the road's edge. As vehicles approach me from behind, can also get a sense of how close there are approaching, and be more prepared if it seems they are veering into my space. Because you have the ability to pivot your head slightly from left to right, you can actually get a very good landscape view from a small mirror. So while I don't consider a helmet mirror essential equipment, I plan to add another in the future.

Most cycling web site places like RBR says that helmet mirrors and the like are essential for survival, so I don't think their a gimmick.

Cell phones? Their not even a cycling specific item so that disqualifies them.

It's not the Rides It's the Rider. Most everything else is BS. I own three road bikes and my performance from one to the other is slightly different.

01 Trek 1000
07 CAAD 9
09 Synapse Carbon

What do you guys think about those huge pulleys that have been popping up in the peloton? Swampy thinks they may have been behind Schleck's chain mishap...

alienator said:
Road bikes that cost more than $200 when the ones at WalMart will do.

i have to disagree with that. my friend has a walmart road bike and all i've had to do is help him work on it. you truely get what you paid for with that kind of thing. they can't compete with a well-built road bike at all. i mean, by all means, if thats all the money you have then it'll work (not for races) but if you have an option go with a better bike such as a trek or something else

teamfast5 said:
i have to disagree with that. my friend has a walmart road bike and all i've had to do is help him work on it. you truely get what you paid for with that kind of thing. they can't compete with a well-built road bike at all. i mean, by all means, if thats all the money you have then it'll work (not for races) but if you have an option go with a better bike such as a trek or something else

You're new here, so let me help you - you just fell for a piece of sarcasm from one of the masters of such on this forum. The author of the comment rolls on a Look 595, so one might consider viewing this particular comment circumspectly...

A piece of advice to help make your experience on this forum more enjoyable - take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt - including this comment from me. Have fun, ya' hear...:D

tonyzackery said:
You're new here, so let me help you - you just fell for a piece of sarcasm from one of the masters of such on this forum. The author of the comment rolls on a Look 595, so one might consider viewing this particular comment circumspectly...

A piece of advice to help make your experience on this forum more enjoyable - take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt - including this comment from me. Have fun, ya' hear...:D

Sarcasm from a sarcasm master? What the master said was: "you truely get what you paid for with that kind of thing"; nothing wrong with that statement, you do get what you pay for and paying $200 for a new bicycle gets you a bike that can take you around the block for awhile but not on constant 20 mile plus rides.

The master also said: "if thats all the money you have then it'll work (not for races) but if you have an option go with a better bike such as a trek or something else"; nothing wrong with that statement either, your NOT going to race a Walmart bike, but if that's all the money you have and cannot afford a better bike then at least you have a bike with some limited degree of mobility but learn to fix it. And if you can afford $200 for a Walmart bike "maybe" you can afford $$550 for a Schwinn Circuit since it's only $350 more and a much better bicycle that will last.

The only bit of sarcasm I detected from the master of sarcasm was his first statement where he wrote: "my friend has a walmart road bike and all i've had to do is help him work on it." Obviously he's trying to inform you that as you ride a Walmart bike more and more your going to repair it more and more; sarcasm? yes, but it's true.

^^^ Pal, you're confused. Please re-read and to try comprehend the sequence of comments. In particular, try to identify whom I was suggesting is the "master of sarcasm". If anyone wants to help clear the fog for this person, go right ahead - I don't have the patience...I'll be sure to simplify my comments in the future...;)

Originally Posted by alienator
Road bikes that cost more than $200 when the ones at WalMart will do.
= sarcasm ;)

I saw a guy with a fancy "noob guard", the normally plastic thing that keeps people from somehow shifting their chain into their spokes. It's fanciness defeated the purpose though, it had slits wide enough to grab the chain. Darn hipster.

FreeHueco said:
I have a few... I apologize in advance. :)

6. Trek bikes... They are the Honda of the bike world. Sure they work, but every other clown on the bike has one...

Hey I got my Trek in 1985, when everyone was riding Miyata.

Froze said:
Helmet mirrors? Actually I almost bought one yesterday!! Why you snurkle? because after years of riding and having bike accidents my 56 year old neck is having problems turning without discomfort to see behind me...but I couldn't let my pride down enough yet to buy one, but someday I may have to.

Pride isn't the issue for me against helmet mirrors - but having a piece of hard plastic or glass that close to my face that's just begging to rip my eyeballs out like a fatman eating oysters doesn't seem like a great think to do. Those bar end mirrors that just add width and an extra point on contact for both parked and passing cars... not keen on those either. Unless everyone starts driving those electric Nissan Leafs, I'll continue to rely on sound and a quick look under the armpit or over the shoulder.

Forget mini bikepumps too when possible - full sized frame fitting pump for me unless I'm out on the Cannondale were the 95psi proven mini-pump is taken with me. CO2 - not keen on those either. Out in the back roads there's a big risk of getting too many punctures and it's a hella long walk even to get back to where there's cellphone reception... Besides, you can't beat dogs with CO2 cartridges like you can a sturdy Blackburn frame fitting pump.

Cell phones - the iPhone gets stuck in the saddle pouch and saved my as$ the other day when what I thought was the only way home at the end of a long ride was 'closed for repair'. Didn't fancy what I thought was a 40 minute detour in near 110F heat just having run out of water. Navigon's GPS app showed me a quicker way home than I was gonna take anyway... Sweet.

Froze said:
Sarcasm from a sarcasm master? What the master said was: "you truely get what you paid for with that kind of thing"; nothing wrong with that statement, you do get what you pay for and paying $200 for a new bicycle gets you a bike that can take you around the block for awhile but not on constant 20 mile plus rides.

When I started cycling the only bike I had was a Peugeot Robert Millar, complete with Carbolite 103 tubing, 5 speed freewheel (that 13 to 17 jump was brutal), plastic Simplex rear mech with plastic friction gear levers and weinman brake calipers that flexed back and forth in a strong breeze... OK I exagerate a little on the last one, but that bike saw me through many 80 to 100mile club runs during winter for a couple of years through some gnarly countryside in northwestern England.

That bike cost ~$140 brand new. Don't knock cheap bikes. I was lighter back then and could go uphill about as fast on that bike back then than I can go up hill now on a Dura Ace 7900 equiped Cannondale Hi-Mod resplendant with a wireless PowerTap. The bike really doesn't make a massive difference... I could probably double check that by piecing together my old 653 bike with 80's Campag stuff and throw the PowerTap on it.

I only have a fancy bike now because I want a fancy bike that I couldn't afford when cycling was a near religion - not because it'll make me faster. If I believed it would I'd be a gulable fool.

Time trial bikes are a different story but event most of the drag savings are due to rider positioning.

Ah... those steel chrome plated rims in the wet - awesome fun. I miss them. NOT!

$200 for a road bike in Wal Mart ?? Never in a million years would I pay that much.

Yard sales is the way to go for me.

I have to disa...oh wait! Haha! I actually am looking for garage sales/craigslist bikes, I need something to murder during the winter.