What do you think of the new elio? would you be seen in one?

Jun 6, 2006
It seems like a great little car but would you be seen in one?

It looks like a decent little car for the $6800 price.

It can do 100 or get 84 mpg at more normal speeds so it would be good for long highway trips.

Actually, I've looked into this subject a few times over the past several months. The Elio is an interesting little car, but I do have a few problems with it. I'm not sure I like the inline aspect, as there can only be one passenger and he has to sit behind the driver, which could make conversation difficult, and would probably make the driver feel like he's pushing a taxi. Another thing... is it a car or a motorcycle? States are debating that as we speak, from what I understand. I think my state has decided that it's a car, so you wouldn't need a bike license to drive it, but I'm still not sure because the three wheels just don't seem safe to me. Two wheels in the front and one in the back is possibly safer than putting the single wheel in the front, I don't know. I wonder how well the car/bike turns? How does it recover in a skid? I love the price tag, but couldn't they make the thing look just a hair more like a car? I guess the Elio is a "maybe" for me. We'll see.

It's like the other micro vehicles appearing...a bicycle on the side of the road is one thing; getting out INTO traffic driving one of these recycled beer cans is another. Out here in West Texas, if an Elio got hit by a cowboy Cadillac (any of the various makes of three quarters or one-ton pickups), the cowboy would probably not even notice the crunch as he went right over the top of it.

I think the Obama administration didn't want to give them a pass from all safety regulations just because it's a three wheeler and technically a motorcycle.

I am not sure if they required safety testing or merely withheld a certain loan until they put a few elios through crash tests, but I think Elio is doing it.

Google it. They are giving plenty of attention to crash safety.

It has a steel space frame like Saturns or Fieros. The old Pontiac Fiero was known as one of the most crashworthy small cars ever made and proved the space frame concept that Saturn went on to use.

Not all microcars are the same. The Smart ForTwo is another example. It's too small to have crumple zones but its cabin is just uncrushable.