What eyewear do you use when it is really cold?

Intheloonybin

Sep 4, 2007
I was using a pair of clear safety glasses drilled at the top for venting, and they fogged up due to being to big. They were good down to about 32 degrees F.

I used a pair of optic nerve goggles this morning, and they frosted immediately. It was 5 degrees F this morning. :eek: <thats me with no goggles on.

Has anyone used double lens ski goggles? Do they work and not frost/fog. Are there any better brands/features you would recommend?

I was adjusting my breathing to keep that off of them, but they fogged on the inside.

Thanks!!

While commuting - none actually. Summertime I use my Oakley M-frame, in forest I use Oakley or a pair of cheaper, yellow glass skiiingframes.

I use glasses for protection against trees, sun and the wind. There ain´t none of them around while urban commuting at <12 m/h.

An update:

I rode home in a non-drilled pair of above mentioned safety glasses. (Hey.. They are $3.50 a pair... lol.)

They did not frost up at 12 degrees. They would fog slightly at stop lights, but would clear soon after. This is better than they did at the 25-35 degree range.

I returned the goggles to the store. The guy I work with there is going to ask what other people use.

The down side was that the safety glasses did not cover as much of my face, so there were cold spots that the balaclava can't cover.

I rode in this morning for 8 miles without eye cover, and it really sucked.

I usually average 15 mph on my commute on a mtn bike. Today was slower. I don't know if it was the two thanksgiving diners, or the cold with lots of layers. Probably both! ;)

I am thinking of looking at the double lens ski goggles.

Feel free to chime in!

Thanks!

There is a gel/cream type of thing that you can buy for your glasses to keep them from fogging. Just rub it on the lenses and voila, no fog. Its only like $5 a tube or something cheap, so just go to your local sunglass shop and grab some.

My Scott ski goggles frosted a bit at times on the really cold days despite having a bit of foam around the edges to allow breathing. Still looking for the ideal solution to combine with prescription eyewear.

10-15 degrees or so. It was one of the colder days of that winter. I think stuff condensed on the inside after evaporating off my face, or perhaps was blown up as exhaust through my balaclava. The foam between the lenses and my face either didn't vent well enough, or too well.

I figured it out this morning.

I had some carrera ski goggles in my closet. I thought that they had tinted lenses for skiing, but when I looked closer this morning, they are not tinted.

They worked great. It was 7 degrees F when I rode in, and they did not fog up at all.

Thanks for your help! :D

ToffoIsMe said:
There is a gel/cream type of thing that you can buy for your glasses to keep them from fogging. so just go to your local sunglass shop and grab some.
Saliva works fine. Most scuba divers know that you can either buy defogging agent for your goggles at a dive shop or you can spit in them for free. It works on glasses too.

Too funny chainstay...

I saw a guy riding downtown Minneapolis in a swimming mask yesterday.

Was it you?? LOL

I did not see if he had a snorkel or not :D .