What Helmets & How Many?

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
I have 2 Giro Pneumos, a Giro Eclipse, and a Giro Ionos.

Wife has 2 Pneumos, Giro Stylus and a Giro Ionos.

I'm not crazy about the Eclipse. Once I tried a Pneumo and Ionos, I was sold.

We also found a couple of helmet cases at Sport Chalet about a year or two ago. I really like them. $20 each. I believe they are actually for ski helmets but work great for cycling helmets. We stash our cycling equipment in a big equipment bag heading out to the trail. So the cases protect the helmet straps, velcro etc from damage caused by shoes etc.

The case in the middle is actually a Giro helmet pod that was included with my wife's Pink flame Pneumo. Th other two are Giro helmet cases.

What is your helmet of choice?

giro2_zps3034ca59.jpg

0bikestuff2_zps6shymwgz.jpg

I have to admit that I do no wear a helmet at all. I've tried several but I just cannot get on with them so I now go without one and accept the risk that I'm taking in doing so.

I have a random Bell one that I bought a few years ago when i first started cycling and I have recently upgraded to a Bontrager Starvos. It's a very comfortable piece of kit.

I think I have 3 current Specialized helmets, a Specialized 1991 helmet, a cheap Bell I bought late night at a big box when I was setting out on a long ride and couldn't find my then-only Specialized, and a couple of Giro snowboarding helmets for winter.

I just have a regular Schwinn helmet. I've actually gone through a couple over the years and they always hold up well until one last spill finally cracks the shell. When the one I have now finally wears out I think I'm going to look into getting something a little more expensive and heavy duty.

I can't imagine riding without a helmet, especially mountain biking or commuting with traffic. It's worth it to me just for the peace of mind that allows me to ride more confidently.