What is JOIKA (Mexican food)?

spamfree

Guest
What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I dont
know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now knowing
what it is. Any mexican food people on here?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
> bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
> when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
> dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
> knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?

The only reference I have seen regarding "joika" is
Norwegian for venison meatballs. Open the can...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
> bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
> when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
> dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
> knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?

JOIKA is not a word of Spanish language origin. I'm pretty
familiar with Mexican food and that is not anything that I
ever heard of.

> What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
> bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
> when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
> dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
> knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?

How sure are you that it is Spanish? I googled on joika and
got a reference to canned raindeer meatballs from Norway:

http://www.norwaypost.no/store/asp/product.asp?product=87

It also appears (although it's not clear) that JOIKA is the
name of the company that produces them, not the name of the
food. I think that is true of other canned foods, that the
name of the company is in bigger type than the food item.

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:19:41 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
>bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
>when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
>dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
>knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?

This is another lonely troll, folks.

-sw

<[email protected]>...

http://tinyurl.com/3abra

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine
meltin' in a pot of thieves
wild card up my sleeve
thick heart of stone
my sins my own
they belong to me, me

people say "beware!"
but I don't care
the words are just
rules and regulations to me, me"
- patti smith

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:19:41 -0500,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
> >bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
> >when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
> >dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
> >knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?
>
> This is another lonely troll, folks.
>
> -sw

Someones askes a question and they're a troll. There can be
no discussion of anything unless Steve authorizes it.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:50:07 -0400, "Tesoro" <[email protected]>
wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
>> bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
>> when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
>> dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
>> knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?
>
>The only reference I have seen regarding "joika" is
>Norwegian for venison meatballs. Open the can...

OK, here is the ingredient list just as it says on the can.
Maybe it is some other language, but the can looks mexican
to me. Especially the cartoon guy in the sombrero.

Ingredienser i kakene: Reinsdyrkjett, storfekjett, vann,
potetmel, salt (hey, I know what that is),melkeprotein og
krydder. Saus: Buljong, hvetemel, marintfett og ekte
geitost. Nettovekt 400g, hvorav 200g joikakaker Lagres tert
og frostfritt Best fer utgangen av 2008.

That's exactly what it says, except some of the letter "e"
are actually a circle with a slash thru them.

Thanks

On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:23:37 -0500, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:19:41 -0500,
>[email protected] wrote:
>
>>What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
>>bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
>>when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
>>dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
>>knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?
>
>This is another lonely troll, folks.
>
>-sw

*PLONK*

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:20:38 -0400, "Saerah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in message
><[email protected]>...
>>What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
>>bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
>>when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
>>dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
>>knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?
>>

>http://www.norwaypost.no/store/asp/product.asp?product=87

Yep, that's exactly what the can looks like. You must hane
done some serious web searching. I couldnt find anything.

Not sure if I want to eat this stuff though, at least not
sober. <lol>......

Thanks for all the help.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:28:41 -0400, "Tesoro" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
>in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:19:41 -0500,
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can?
>> >I bought a can when a store was going out of business,
>> >and when I got home i found it is all written in
>> >Spanish. I dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to
>> >eat it, now knowing what it is. Any mexican food people
>> >on here?
>>
>> This is another lonely troll, folks.
>>
>> -sw
>
>Someones askes a question and they're a troll. There can be
>no discussion of anything unless Steve authorizes it.

WTF gives you this impression?

This is the same idiot who keeps coming in here blasting
Atkins and saying they're sick of this and sick of that, not
to mention numerous other suspect posts all from this same
news host (which all have the same style as the ones from
this troll).

Maybe if you did your research and had a clue what I was
referring to, then you'd be in a better position to flame
me. But as it stands you're just another babbling idiot.

I can't really blame you, though, as my superior
intelligence is often met with envy and jealousy from the
less fortunate such as yourself.

Toodles.

-sw

On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:51:35 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>*PLONK*

Who-hoo! I got plonked by the Atkins troll! Count them - 5
different threads in 2 months about how he's sick of Atkins.
Also can't tell spanish from scandanavian. Duh.

-sw

On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:51:04 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>OK, here is the ingredient list just as it says on the can.
>Maybe it is some other language, but the can looks mexican
>to me. Especially the cartoon guy in the sombrero.
>
>Ingredienser i kakene: Reinsdyrkjett, storfekjett, vann,
>potetmel, salt (hey, I know what that is),melkeprotein og
>krydder. Saus: Buljong, hvetemel, marintfett og ekte
>geitost. Nettovekt 400g, hvorav 200g joikakaker

Spanish. heh.

-sw

[email protected] wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:50:07 -0400, "Tesoro"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can?
> >> I bought a can when a store was going out of business,
> >> and when I got home i found it is all written in
> >> Spanish. I dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to
> >> eat it, now knowing what it is. Any mexican food people
> >> on here?
> >
> >The only reference I have seen regarding "joika" is
> >Norwegian for venison meatballs. Open the can...
> >

> OK, here is the ingredient list just as it says on the
> can. Maybe it is some other language, but the can looks
> mexican to me. Especially the cartoon guy in the sombrero.
>
> Ingredienser i kakene: Reinsdyrkjett, storfekjett, vann,
> potetmel, salt (hey, I know what that is),melkeprotein og
> krydder. Saus: Buljong, hvetemel, marintfett og ekte
> geitost. Nettovekt 400g, hvorav 200g joikakaker Lagres
> tert og frostfritt Best fer utgangen av 2008.
>
> That's exactly what it says, except some of the letter "e"
> are actually a circle with a slash thru them.
>
> Thanks

Definitely not Spanish. The first two ingredients are
reindeer meat and sturgeon.

[email protected] wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:20:38 -0400, "Saerah"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>[email protected] wrote in message
>><[email protected]>...
>>>What is JOIKA? It's some sort of Mexican food in a can? I
>>>bought a can when a store was going out of business, and
>>>when I got home i found it is all written in Spanish. I
>>>dont know spanish. I'm not sure if I want to eat it, now
>>>knowing what it is. Any mexican food people on here?
>>>

>>http://www.norwaypost.no/store/asp/product.asp?product=87
>>

>Yep, that's exactly what the can looks like. You must hane
>done some serious web searching. I couldnt find anything.

did an advanced search on google for "joika" on english
pages. too me all of 5 minutes, even with my slow
connection.
--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine
meltin' in a pot of thieves
wild card up my sleeve
thick heart of stone
my sins my own
they belong to me, me

people say "beware!"
but I don't care
the words are just
rules and regulations to me, me"
- patti smith

>Not sure if I want to eat this stuff though, at least not sober.
><lol>......
>
>Thanks for all the help.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:28:41 -0400, "Tesoro"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
> >in message news:[email protected]...

> >> This is another lonely troll, folks.
> >>
> >> -sw
> >
> >Someones askes a question and they're a troll. There can
> >be no discussion
of
> >anything unless Steve authorizes it.
>
> WTF gives you this impression?
>
> This is the same idiot who keeps coming in here blasting
> Atkins and saying they're sick of this and sick of that,
> not to mention numerous other suspect posts all from this
> same news host (which all have the same style as the ones
> from this troll).
>
> Maybe if you did your research and had a clue what I was
> referring to, then you'd be in a better position to flame
> me. But as it stands you're just another babbling idiot.
>
> I can't really blame you, though, as my superior
> intelligence is often met with envy and jealousy from the
> less fortunate such as yourself.
>
> Toodles.
>
> -sw

Your "superior intelligence?" That's a good one, steve. Sort
of like Danny DeVito's "superior tallness." I must say,
however, that your sense of humor takes the cake.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:28:41 -0400, "Tesoro"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
> >in message news:[email protected]...

> >> This is another lonely troll, folks.
> >>
> >> -sw
> >
> >Someones askes a question and they're a troll. There can
> >be no discussion
of
> >anything unless Steve authorizes it.
>
> WTF gives you this impression?

It just seemed like an innocent question. Thats all.

> This is the same idiot who keeps coming in here blasting
> Atkins and saying they're sick of this and sick of that,

Are you sure of that? How? If they choose to "blast Atkins"
don't they have the freedom of speach to do that? And if
that subject doesn't sit well with you then why not simply
pass the thread over and move on to something "you" enjoy
talking about? I guess the problem is is that you're not
interested in getting along with others, its much more fun
to instigate and stir up ****, right Steve?

>not to mention numerous other suspect posts all from this
>same news host (which all have the same style as the ones
>from this troll).

Suspect posts and similar style? Sounds pretty
circumstantial. I sure hope you're not a Federal Prosecutor!

> Maybe if you did your research and had a clue what I was
> referring to, then you'd be in a better position to flame
> me. But as it stands you're just another babbling idiot.

I didn't flame you, I simply pointed out that you can't come
into this NG and post a question without passing it by you
first. Ya, know, making sure everyones papers are in order
and such. If it made you feel better to call me a babbling
idiot then I guess you are a better person than me.

> I can't really blame you, though, as my superior
> intelligence is often met with envy and jealousy from the
> less fortunate such as yourself.

I can't tell you the extent of my jealousy Steve. In fact I
sit here now wondering why I bother to live another day
when I'll never amount to anything close to what you've
become Steve.

In the end it was just a simple question but if you've been
around long enough you know, there aren't any simple
questions in Usenetland. Every single thread turns into
someone (usually the same people) bickering over the most
insane things. I manage to function everyday in the real
world without having to call others names and others don't
find a need to call me names either (school yard type stuff
don't ya think?), yet it happens here quite regularly. Its
kind of ironic that the most common offenders of this
childishness also seem to be the ones who proclaim to be the
most intelligent, but how can that be? If you don't ask the
question properly, from the right newshost with a unique
style you get labeled a troll and called names. I remember
when Usenet was useful and full of people that were friendly
and courteous to others. Nowadays almost every NG has their
"thugs" that make sure every damn post is checked for
spelling, comprehension, accuracy and whatever else they can
find wrong with it so the original topic is lost within
several posts. In a sense these thugs are the "trolls" since
they cause more noise than any of the original posts would
have created. I'm sure glad I don't know any of you people
personally.

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:28:41 -0400, "Tesoro"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote
> >in message news:[email protected]...

> >> This is another lonely troll, folks.

> >Someones askes a question and they're a troll. There can
> >be no discussion of anything unless Steve authorizes it.
>
> WTF gives you this impression?

Come on, Steve, you can't fool us. We all know the cabal
(there is no cabal) met last year and appointed you in
charge of authorizing discussion on this newsgroup. It
doesn't matter how many times you deny it, we all know
the truth.

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

> OK, here is the ingredient list just as it says on the
> can. Maybe it is some other language, but the can looks
> mexican to me. Especially the cartoon guy in the sombrero.
>
> Ingredienser i kakene: Reinsdyrkjett, storfekjett, vann,
> potetmel, salt (hey, I know what that is),melkeprotein og
> krydder. Saus: Buljong, hvetemel, marintfett og ekte
> geitost. Nettovekt 400g, hvorav 200g joikakaker Lagres
> tert og frostfritt Best fer utgangen av 2008.
>
> That's exactly what it says, except some of the letter "e"
> are actually a circle with a slash thru them.

Clearly a Scandinavian language. Pretending it's mashed
German plus English plus Norse and faking some words I get -

Ingredients in cans: reindeer meat, fish meat, water,
potato, salt, milk protein with modification. Sauce: Stuff I
can't even guess. Net weight 400g, serving size 200g Store
something with refrigerator Best for use by 2008

Wow cream of reindeer stew. Rudolph and all.

Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> Ingredienser i kakene: Reinsdyrkjett, storfekjett, vann,
>> potetmel, salt (hey, I know what that is),melkeprotein og
>> krydder. Saus: Buljong, hvetemel, marintfett og ekte
>> geitost. Nettovekt 400g, hvorav 200g joikakaker Lagres
>> tert og frostfritt Best fer utgangen av 2008.
>>
>> That's exactly what it says, except some of the letter
>> "e" are actually a circle with a slash thru them.

That must be the ø which is not used in Spanish (and
especially not in Mexicanian).

> Definitely not Spanish.

My best guess is that it's Norwegian. Somebody out there
needs to get their language radar adjusted.

--
Il faudrait que tout le monde réclame Auprès des autorités
Une loi contre toute notre indifférence Que personne ne

Carla Bruni, «Tout le monde»