What is the suitable mountain bike in 350$?

i am from California and want to purchase a mountain bike for my younger brother. he is just 13 years old and i want to gift this bike his next birthday. I know he will be so happy to see that. Still I didn't tell him that I have decided to give him a mountain bike. As I love his so much so I will be happy to see him surprised and glad.
I don't need so hardy or so high quality materials as he is a child and my budget is also low.

Once i thought that I will present a longboard but I have changed my mind and now I think bike is the best option. I just want to hear some guys experience about the good bike in this price. Or you guys can suggest me which think will be a good Birthday gift for my Brother.

If you can find a 2-or-3+ year old NOS (new old stock) JAMIS Hardtail, then it may be available in your price target range.

Otherwise, that's a tough budget ceiling for a new bike.

You know, without knowing your family's genetic proclivities, your brother is probably going to grow several more inches in the next few years ... so, frame sizing is definitely going to be an issue. Unless one of the two of you were adopted, then I think it will be 'okay' to estimate a bike for someone halfway between his current height and your height ...

Unless YOU are over 6' tall, then without knowing anything else, I reckon you should possibly aim for a 15" frame (small-medium) ...

With that in mind, stick with the more common NAME brands ... GIANT, JAMIS, SPECIALIZED, TREK.

Stick with a Hardtail ...

JAMIS still makes some steel framed bikes, so they presumably still make a steel Hardtail ... IMO, a steel frame has the benefit of extraordinary durability at the expense of an added 2+/- lbs.

I think that SHIMANO components are subjectively 'better' because they are almost universally interchangeable with other Shimano components ...

SRAM may be great (or NOT!?!), but component interchangeability from one of their lines to another can be problematic.

Call around to the shops which are within a reasonable driving distance ... tell them that you are "looking for a NEW OLD STOCK Hardtail for your younger brother" and that you only have an after-tax budget of about $300 -- THAT will allow THEM to try to come close by saying that they probably can't match that price but they do have one they can sell you for ~$350 ...

A helmet is a good accessory ...

Good luck!

I just bought a 10 year old Kona Caldera, in near perfect condition, off Craigslist for $200. I would start there. Fantastic deals are to be had if you look.