What makes road cycling fun and interesting for you?

eduguy

Apr 18, 2016
I am a mountain biker wondering what makes Road Cycling fun and interesting for you? I'm not trying to ignite the feud between our two groups, so lets try and keep this peaceful!

I never saw the appeal of riding down a flat road for miles and miles. Being in the wilderness and riding over roots, rocks, and hitting some jumps just seemed so much more fun and exciting.

Do you enjoy road biking just for exercise? Is it to meet others who also bike? Is it to meet new people?

I have participated in countless of road cycling on an amateur basis - that means I leave the pack when I feel like being too pressured. For me, the fun was in challenging myself that I can ride with a group who are mostly semi-professionals. Another fun is when the group takes a pitstop in a roadside eatery, conversations would start and it's camaraderie is infectious. And not to forget the sights along the way particularly when the ride is in the provinces.

I have participated in countless of road cycling on an amateur basis - that means I leave the pack when I feel like being too pressured. For me, the fun was in challenging myself that I can ride with a group who are mostly semi-professionals. Another fun is when the group takes a pitstop in a roadside eatery, conversations would start and it's camaraderie is infectious. And not to forget the sights along the way particularly when the ride is in the provinces.

Wow! That actually sounds really fun and interesting, though I do admit it still does not seem very exciting. It sounds like friendship is a core part of what makes road biking an interesting hobby. Is there a website where I can look for road biking clubs in my area? Could I also ask where you usually go biking? Where could you ride to see those amazing sights, regardless of locations?

I am a mountain biker wondering what makes Road Cycling fun and interesting for you? I'm not trying to ignite the feud between our two groups, so lets try and keep this peaceful!

I never saw the appeal of riding down a flat road for miles and miles. Being in the wilderness and riding over roots, rocks, and hitting some jumps just seemed so much more fun and exciting.

Do you enjoy road biking just for exercise? Is it to meet others who also bike? Is it to meet new people?

Pretty much, the need for speed. I've never mountain biked before, but I can almost run at those speeds. Getting out of the saddle and tackling a hill or a sprint is invigorating.

Pretty much, the need for speed. I've never mountain biked before, but I can almost run at those speeds. Getting out of the saddle and tackling a hill or a sprint is invigorating.

To be fair, mountain biking isn't that slow, unless you are me :). I can see the speed being very exciting. Going fast is always fun! I commonly see roadies when I go up to Whistler, and I always thought about how much fun it would be to just speed down the Sea to Sky. All these reasons why road biking is fun is giving me the itch to pick up a road bike and head out. Thanks guys!

To me it is the actual act of pedaling a bike and feeling my legs and muscles working together in continuity.

I guess that is the reason I can ride on a bike trail, mtn road, or street and still get a feeling of satisfaction. So may guys say they hate the trail because there is nothing to look at. I myself don't ride to look at the sights or even where I am riding. I ride because I enjoy the act of riding and propelling myself forward.

I know some guys who say my rides look boring. But I say when I ride 3 times as much as they do over the year, I'm enjoying my riding a lot more than they are and probably why I am doing more. I say if they are bored, it's probably that they are boring to start with. :D

Put me on a mtn bike and point me uphill or downhill, put me on a road bike and point me uphill or downhill, put me on bike and point me north south east or west and I will enjoy it because I like riding. :cool:

I do find fun and interesting when I group cycling in a organized way at the relatively same speed across the road. That makes me feel like being part of a gang.

Wow! That actually sounds really fun and interesting, though I do admit it still does not seem very exciting. It sounds like friendship is a core part of what makes road biking an interesting hobby. Is there a website where I can look for road biking clubs in my area? Could I also ask where you usually go biking? Where could you ride to see those amazing sights, regardless of locations?

My usual route is from our town in Cainta to the nearby town of Antipolo where there is a moderate zigzag road in the uphill climb. Our place, by the say, is in the suburbs of Metro Manila. That town of Antipolo (it is now a city though) is partly atop a mountain range that used to be orchards and farms. But now most of those mountainsides are residential villages already. But still, there are nice vista. And the end of the trek is the Hinulugang Taktak, a natural waterfall that is almost dried.

Informal chats during the pitstop are not really personal but mostly general topics where anyone can join. Topics can range from political to historical, cultural or even movies.

I love riding on the road, especially when there's interesting and beautiful scenery to check out. I also love the freedom I have when compared to other road users. I can get off the road, and even manoeuvre through tight spots, which is impossible for car users.

I enjoy the scenery (it changes quickly) and the speed. If you're mountain biking you have to focus more on your path. I do enjoy riding some trails but hopping stumps and being on teeth chattering paths doesn't excite me.

I enjoy the scenery (it changes quickly) and the speed. If you're mountain biking you have to focus more on your path. I do enjoy riding some trails but hopping stumps and being on teeth chattering paths doesn't excite me.

Scenery seems to be a big part of road biking. Do you actively seek scenic routes? Do you know how fast you go in km/h or mph?

Being really nimble and light on the road, getting some nice and needed exercise, and overall enjoying the scenery and enjoying life to be honest! That is the best part of biking.

I really like to watch ne nature or houses around the road. I think that cycling is really about the adventure and the beautiful and interesting things you can see around yourself.

I really like to watch ne nature or houses around the road. I think that cycling is really about the adventure and the beautiful and interesting things you can see around yourself.

I agree with that. Mountain Biking also has really nice scenery, although it's different scenery compared to Road Biking. When you're mountain biking you're surrounded by nature, and I love that.

Scenery seems to be a big part of road biking. Do you actively seek scenic routes? Do you know how fast you go in km/h or mph?
Well, using my Garmin, it seems I know exactly how fast I go in MPH. Seeking scenic routes? Yes, sometimes. Today, for instance, I didn't have a time constraint so I headed to some country roads with lots of farms and fields and animals. It was relatively quiet and also cool. Very enjoyable. About 38 miles.

Speed,being able to set out tempo and control by myself,feel of relief when im riding alone.No stress at all thats the best part.

Funny I never found the appeal to mountain biking either, you ride a relative short distance, compared to road biking, bounce all around the place, and end up going nowhere, though I still have a MTB and I still use it on occasion. With road biking I can go into neighboring towns and poke around, I can take a touring trip to a further away place and camp out and do some fishing.

Funny I never found the appeal to mountain biking either, you ride a relative short distance, compared to road biking, bounce all around the place, and end up going nowhere, though I still have a MTB and I still use it on occasion. With road biking I can go into neighboring towns and poke around, I can take a touring trip to a further away place and camp out and do some fishing.

MTB seems to be a lot more exciting. Road biking and doing what you said seems more relaxing. With a MTB, you can still take touring trips and camp out though. It's definitely possible and the MTB is more capable on rough stuff, and if you have a cross country style MTB, it makes it easier.

MTB seems to be a lot more exciting. Road biking and doing what you said seems more relaxing. With a MTB, you can still take touring trips and camp out though. It's definitely possible and the MTB is more capable on rough stuff, and if you have a cross country style MTB, it makes it easier.

I hear you on that but my touring bike has the old 27" x 1 1/4 tires and there aren't too many places I can't go, I've ridden it loaded on gravel and dirt with no issues. Also a road bike offers more hand positions on the bar but then again someone could put a road bar on a MTB and do the same thing, and there are people who tour using MTB's that never leave the pavement. So sure a MTB can be used, I just prefer road bikes, they tend to be more comfortable on longer rides for my particular situation.

The fresh air, the awesome sights, the different people living their own lives while you drift past them. That is the beauty of cycling through the cities and the countryside, you'll never know what you will find. You just start pedaling and take your troubles away. Your mind wanders, your body relaxes, and your brain gets relieved from all the stress of the day. It is the best feeling ever.

Reactions: WonderW