What pedals and shoes should i buy for road cyling?( cheap please)?

adrienne224

Sep 19, 2017
And can anyone tell me where I can find a pair of shoes with pedals that come with them. Or can anyone tell me what shoes I should buy for a road bike and what pedals would go with it.

there are road-style pedals and MTB-style pedals.
MTB-style have smaller cleats that can be recessed into the soles.
This means you can walk pretty good in MTB shoes.
The downside - according to some - is that they don't distribute the load over the foot as well.
I've never felt it as a problem. Good MTB shoes are stiff enough that it isn't an issue for me.
Road-style have a far bigger cleat. Walking is awkward. Power transfer supposedly better.
IMO its perfectly OK to do road riding in MTB shoes, at least on a fitness/recreational level.
A MTB shoe CAN'T take a road cleat.
SOME road shoes are drilled for both cleat sizes.
As a new rider, you're not missing much - If anything - by starting with MTB.
Once you've decided between road/MTB, go shop for a shoe that fits your feet AND has the preferred drilling.
Fit really is your top priority. Nothing else matters If you can't wear the shoes.
When you found shoes, go shop for pedals.
If you buy them new they will come with the appropriate cleats.
Assemble and ride.
One rookie mistake is not to mount the cleats well enough. And a slipping cleat can be real hard to unclip. Use of threadlock is advisable.

If you want cheap, you're probably better off looking at MTB stuff.
Wellgo do decent pedals.

Pretty much everything dabac has just said.

I prefer MTB pedals and cleats, I like being able to walk around easily and being able to clip in on BOTH sides is really nice. Lots of good options for cheap MTB pedals too. The Shimano M520 is indestructible, and dirt cheap.

Some brands that have cheaper shoes include Shimano, Pearl Izumi and Nashbar, but there are plenty of there for less than 50 bucks.

Turn the tension WAY down on the pedals when you first get them, and practice clipping in and out while leaning against something on the bike. It really doesn't take long to learn at all, I can't believe I was so scared of going clipless, I can't imagine riding flat pedals now.

Seconding and third'ing dabac's advice.

1. Decide if you want to use a road or mountainbike (shimoNO road pedals and cleats are generally referred to as SPD-SL while thier mountain bike system is just called SPD) or road shoe-pedal-cleat system. Road cleats are said to provide greater foot stability on the pedal, may offer more adjustment range (debatable) ans 'can' be more comfortable.

2. Buy a shoe that is comfortable. The shoe must fit you well and not cause pain or you will be tossing it in the trash quickly.

3. Do not be afraid to adjust your cleat position so that you have no knee or foot discomfort / pain. As dabac stated. Loctite or some other semi-permanent thread locking compound is recommended.

4. And as GR2002 advised...if your new pedals have adjustable release tension, turn it down for starting out and familiarizing yourself with how clipless systems feel and function.

5. Stick a set of hex key wrenches in your pocket. Adjust your cleats, tighten or re-tighten your cleats as required and increase the release tension as your confidence and experience un-clipping dictates.

While good advice this appears to miss Adrienne's point doesn't it?

If you're looking for cheap and convenient the Shimano 520 SpD pedals are the ones to use.

For shoes: the harder the soles the less problems you will encounter with hot foot.

However, the harder/stiffer the sole the more important fit is and the more expensive the shoe is.

If your idea of a long ride is 25 miles or less, then buying the soft soled tennis shoe type of shoe is the cheapest way to go. Also the shoe laces generally spread the load on the foot more evenly so that precise fit is less of a problem.

There are other pedals made by other manufacturers that can use the two-bolt mounting system but usually they are harder to find and very often more expensive.

I can only recommend that you go down to your LBS and have a pair fitted to you, trying to buy shoes via the internet will be a real pain, but a properly experienced bike shop will have measurement devices to make sure you get the right shoe for your feet. I can't recommend any brands since again depending on your feet will determine what shoe is going to be best for you.

While stiffer is better in a shoe the problem is that as the stiffness ratio go goes up so does the price of the shoe, so you'll have to compromise on stiffness if you want an inexpensive shoe.

Pedal wise you haven't told us if you are using the bike for commuting or training. Shimano makes some really nice pedals in the 105 model, however if you are commuting then Shimano makes a pedal called the PD M324, another good pedal to look at if you want something cheaper than the 105 is the Look Keo Classic 3 but not so much for commuting purposes but can be.

Whatever shoe/pedal you get you have to make sure the combination will work together, this is where a good LBS can be extremely helpful.

MTB style SPD pedals are easier to use IMHO than road type SPD-SL pedals. The shoes are also much easier to walk in because you can recess the cleat in the tread and it is steel so it won't wear out so easily.

Bike Nashbar used to sell an inexpensive SPD copy pedal and cleat. Those worked pretty well.

MTB style SPD pedals are easier to use IMHO than road type SPD-SL pedals. The shoes are also much easier to walk in because you can recess the cleat in the tread and it is steel so it won't wear out so easily.

Bike Nashbar used to sell an inexpensive SPD copy pedal and cleat. Those worked pretty well.

I agree if a person will be riding and want to walk while on a ride a MTB set up is idea. I have MTB pedals (Speedplay Frog's) on my main road bike, and use SPD (SIDI) shoes and they're great for how I like ride.

I stopped seeing the cheap Nashbar M520 copy cats, they called them "VP Components". $13 bucks for a pair shipped was pretty amazing for what they are. I did however, notice significant bearing wear after 1,100 miles but for 13 bucks who cares! A person can score M520s for less than $30 shipped easily though. If Nashbar sells anymore of the knock offs I'm going to pick up a couple of pair just for back ups or for my hybrid bike that I don't ride much.

GRUNDIG has taken out the popular amplifier of this system and year of this year (more than $2001) classes in the Australian 1994-95 Consumer Electronics Providers Association/Sound and Picture Awards. Grundig home video and audio products are dispersed by Southern Cross Electronics, based in Sydney. Grundig's successful nominations arose in the organization's Fine Arts collection. Judges mentioned the Model V3 amplifier because of the superb Euro- styling, features and higher output. This amplifier can also be smart enough to close off the sound and then flip down the motorised volume control if you brief the speaker cables. It retails for about $899. What is the Difference between 2-way, 3-way and 4-way speakers? Difference between them

"Styling, ergonomics and performance" required the Grundig R1 (Rack 1) Bundle into the direct from the sound system of this year (roughly $2001) class) This program combines Grundig's model R1 receiver incorporating a stereo amplifier rated at 120 watts per channel; even a CD player model CD1; along with double tape deck model CCF2. Kenwood's trendy mini-system model UD-552 maintained the award for sound system of this year ($1001 to $2000). Main features of the model include Kenwood's seven-CD broadcasting system; double tape deck with Dolby B and C noise-reduction program and Dolby HX-Pro headroom growth, along with the amplifier has been generously powered by 60 g (rms) per channel.

The UD-552 also offers an additional line output for a subwoofer station and is provided with matching three dimensional speakers. Sound system of this year (around $1000) has been granted to Denon's personal sound system model D-08, dispersed by AWA Distribution. The D-08 includes CD player with optical digital outputsignal; double cassette deck; AM/FM amplifier and speaker amplifier rated at 40 watts per channel. The two dimensional loudspeakers which include the machine are produced from natural wood. Melbourne-based Pioneer Electronics was also a huge winner. Pioneer scooped the maximum tally of major awards and citations with a narrow margin in the traditional rival, Yamaha. The Simple Difference Between Coaxial and Component Speakers

Sony, that gained the portable audio/headphone stereo product of this year was also notable, getting top commendations for products nominated in five different sections. The CESA/Sound and Picture Awards sets apart a class annually to reevaluate technical invention. Unsurprisingly, this segment brings some big guns, together with commensurately sizeable price tags, for example Yamaha's recordable/readable compact disk drive model CDE100, that retails for about $9995. This season, but the gong for technical invention was pinned to the cheapest product, Gemstar's G-code immediate video programmer model VIP88A, that sells for about $ 129.

Most subscribers of all Green Guide will understand about G-code, the TV time-shifter's fantasy. G-codes are the amounts printed together with the TV series entrances in the program pages plus they create programming a VCR a cinch. Whenever you have one of those nifty little VCR programming devices, all you need to do is loading a blank tape from the VCR, essential from the G-code, and then depart the programmer near your VCR. Even the palm-size programmer does the restof the G-code was devised by former Aerospace scientists Henry Yuen and also Daniel Kwoh following the then President George Bush dropped a a lineup about living in a era when scientists could place people in the moon but nobody had yet devised a VCR that the typical person may program. Based on judges in the yearly awards: "The G-code programmer is a genuine consumer product that has had a significant impact on the current market and delivered real functional price.

It's solved a significant difficulty for numerous consumers." Philips, that divides the G-code programmer in Australia, said over 50,000 units were sold here because its Australian launch from March this year. Philips operates a G-code inquiries lineup, phone 131124. The CESA/Sound and Picture awards brought nominations in over 20 classes, that included hi-fi elements and systems, loudspeakers, colour TV and video, home theater, movie cameras and car sound systems. CESA awards for products of this year for 1994-95 were: Amplifier: Grundig Fine Arts V3.

Digital sound reproduction part: Sharp MiniDisc MDM11ABK. Compact disk player: Yamaha CDC 745. Loudspeaker (around $700): Monitor Audio MA7 Gold MkII. Loudspeaker ($701-$2000): Picture 3 MkII. Loudspeaker ($2001 and much more): Mirage M3si. Home theater part: Yamaha RXV870. Sound system (around $1000): Denon D-08. Car Audio System (over 150 g rms total power): Alpine Ai-Net VR-Series HSV Senator. Color television (around 51cm): Sanyo CPP2186TX. TV/video Factor product: Pioneer SDM-1407 100cm projection TV. Home video tape recorder (mono): Akai VSG-415EA. Home video tape recorder (hi-fi): JVC HR-J615EA. Technological invention: Gemstar VIP88A G-code programmer. How to choose the best car speakers

I stopped seeing the cheap Nashbar M520 copy cats, they called them "VP Components". $13 bucks for a pair shipped was pretty amazing for what they are. I did however, notice significant bearing wear after 1,100 miles but for 13 bucks who cares! A person can score M520s for less than $30 shipped easily though. If Nashbar sells anymore of the knock offs I'm going to pick up a couple of pair just for back ups or for my hybrid bike that I don't ride much.

Stay away from MTB SpD knockoffs. They do not have the adjustments designed properly and since new riders will inevitably try to turn the clip-in pressure down they unscrew from the mechanism and it's almost impossible to get them back together again.

You are in luck. Get some flat pedals and just wear any shoes you have when you ride. I wear sneakers and casual leather shoes or whatever. Here is some review of the science of flat pedals vs. fancy pedals;
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE&pp=ygUZZHlsYW4gam9obnNvbiBmbGF0IHBlZGFscw%3D%3D

That video is true.

And it remains true if you have an efficient pedaling technique.

Pulling up the pedals, trying to eliminate "dead spots" in your pedaling stroke is actually less efficient UNLESS you're getting poor traction with your wheels such as climbing up a steep gravel road or steep, wet road.

The same muscles you pull the pedals up can also be recruited on the down stroke but they will be more efficient and produce more force on the down stroke.

The hamstrings for example can pull the pedals up but will produce far more force pushing the pedals down by extending the hips, together with the glutes. The hip flexors can also be used to pull the pedals up but some of the flexor muscles are your quadriceps and the quadriceps, just like the hamstring will produce far more force pushing the pedals down.

Another fact about muscles is that it is not efficient in continuous application of force. It prefers applying force in short pulses just like you do when running as we evolved for many thousands of years to run.

Therefore, unless your rear wheels are slipping and you have good traction, put everything you got in the pushing the pedals down, quads, hamstrings, and glutes. If you are well trained in this technique and got good recruitment of the glutes and hamstrings extend hips to push the pedals down, the perceived effort of cycling will go down quite substantially. Climbing will become so much easier. Hammering at FTP will be pure joy.

Remember, take everything you got to push the pedals down and not up! That's how the pros do it!
200w.webp

That video is true.

And it remains true if you have an efficient pedaling technique.

Pulling up the pedals, trying to eliminate "dead spots" in your pedaling stroke is actually less efficient UNLESS you're getting poor traction with your wheels such as climbing up a steep gravel road or steep, wet road.

The same muscles you pull the pedals up can also be recruited on the down stroke but they will be more efficient and produce more force on the down stroke.

The hamstrings for example can pull the pedals up but will produce far more force pushing the pedals down by extending the hips, together with the glutes. The hip flexors can also be used to pull the pedals up but some of the flexor muscles are your quadriceps and the quadriceps, just like the hamstring will produce far more force pushing the pedals down.

Another fact about muscles is that it is not efficient in continuous application of force. It prefers applying force in short pulses just like you do when running as we evolved for many thousands of years to run.

Therefore, unless your rear wheels are slipping and you have good traction, put everything you got in the pushing the pedals down, quads, hamstrings, and glutes. If you are well trained in this technique and got good recruitment of the glutes and hamstrings extend hips to push the pedals down, the perceived effort of cycling will go down quite substantially. Climbing will become so much easier. Hammering at FTP will be pure joy.

Remember, take everything you got to push the pedals down and not up! That's how the pros do it!
200w.webp

You do realize the dude in the video said this experiment was on a short flat surface and that it did not work well climbing. So I doubt this is the way the pros do it, they climb plenty. Lance and Indurain pushed spinning high rpm's and not "mashing". Probably something to do with working well with the pros as they won the TDF several times. And yes, they were all doing drugs. :D

You do realize the dude in the video said this experiment was on a short flat surface and that it did not work well climbing. So I doubt this is the way the pros do it, they climb plenty. Lance and Indurain pushed spinning high rpm's and not "mashing". Probably something to do with working well with the pros as they won the TDF several times. And yes, they were all doing drugs. :D
Oh, the drugs!

I doubt the dude ever used flat pedals long enough to learn how to climb well in it. Especially long, paced climbs and even steep climbs in dry conditions.

I can pace long climbs at 4 to 5 watts/kg on flat pedals which is nearly Indurain's climbing power-to-weight BEFORE the drugged seasons.

Flat pedals only give me trouble in wet conditions and if the gradient is steep enough, I lose traction because I can't power through the whole "pedal circle" and probably because my tires really suck in wet surfaces (tread is not supple at all due to puncture-proof design).

Hey, g'day. I hear you on the flat pedals. Climbing with 'em takes skill and practice, no doubt. But going on about drugs and power-to-weight ratios may not be the best approach here. Let's focus on improving technique and sharing trail experiences. By the way, any tips for tackling wet conditions? My tires could use an upgrade.

Absolutely! For road cycling, you'll want to look into clipless pedals and shoes. Shimano, Look, and Speedplay are popular brands. For shoes, consider compatibility with your chosen pedal system. Shimano and Look's entry-level pedals often come with cleats. Should you go with Shimano, their SPD-SL shoes will be a solid choice. Happy cycling! ‍♂️

While clipless pedals and shoes are indeed essential for road cycling, it's worth exploring alternative viewpoints on this matter. Some cyclists argue that flat pedals can offer a more versatile riding experience, allowing for easier foot placement and a greater sense of freedom. Additionally, flat pedals can be beneficial for beginners or those who prefer a more casual approach to cycling. Ultimately, the choice between clipless and flat pedals depends on personal preference and the specific goals of the cyclist. Happy pedaling!