What should i be eating before a big race?

wardie2000

Jun 9, 2003
Hi,

I have a big RR in the UK on sunday, and am wondering what types of food i should be eating in the build up to the race i.e. the next 5 days.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Wow, thats a big question!!!!!

Try searching 'cyclingforums' for TAPERING and CARBOHYDRATE LOADING.

Not only should you be adjusting your diet, but more than likely you should be adjusting your training too.

How long is the RR and how much of a priority is it for you? These two factors will perhaps have the greatest impact on how you decide to change training and diet in a lead up to the race!

the race is only 92km, but i have found that i will be racing the likes of Julian Winn!

the race isn't a high priority, i want to see how my early season form is and what i need to work on for future races.

i am only 20 so i don't expect much, there is a prize which i would like to win, which is for people in the same category as me. this is my first full season racing, i dabbled last year with cycling and rugby but have decided to quit the rugby and go for cycling.

i have been training with a couple of ex-pros and they are impressed, so i want to do aswell as i can.

i am just unsure of what my diet should be

thanks

Chris

Chris, do search the forum. For races over 2 hours (as yours will be) nutrition will be very improtant.

Have you considered getting a coach yet? The ex-pros will be able to give you some good advice and unlike any forum they can see what you are doing and talk to you directly. Both of these factors lead for better advice being given.

May be you don't need any special food adjustments,you should be eating basically the same way you eat for that training.

Pardon me for intruding in this discussion. I have seen an interview of a celebrity who was to join the iron man competition. The interviewer asked the participant of his preparation including the nutrition. Since the triathlon is a race that aims to break your body, you need a lot of protein that you can get, the celebrity said. But he does not take supplements because he prefers the natural food for his protein needs. My idea of protein is beef.

Eat a lot of Meats, Eggs, Cheeses, Milk, anything that has lots of protein. You're only 20, for a two hour race you lots of energy and protein. When I was 20, I used to eat one whole fried chicken and eggs before any ride, it gave me the power and stamina I needed then.

Always try to take protein meals and stay off the starchy meals. As long as you follow the advise and that which your coach gives you, I assure you that it is going to be a great time being part of the occasion. I wish you the very best as you make an attempt on that.

Eat a lot of Meats, Eggs, Cheeses, Milk, anything that has lots of protein. You're only 20, for a two hour race you lots of energy and protein. When I was 20, I used to eat one whole fried chicken and eggs before any ride, it gave me the power and stamina I needed then.

That is the things as he is going to need a whole lot of proteins to be able to survive on the race. It is not going to be easy, but it does not mean that success won't be gotten from that point as well.