What's the fastest You've gone!!

I did 68.3 mph on the Blue Ridge Parkway per my portable Garmin GPS Unit. Cycle Computer maxed out at 45 mph. I was scared out of my wits but I was even more afraid of applying any brakes at that speed.

I feel like such a wimp. I got going about 40 MPH going down a hill the other day, and I started braking. I did have to make a left turn at the bottom, but that wasn't the issue. I started braking long before that. This bike is a new ride for me, with under-seat steering, and I'm still feeling my way. But wow, does it ever pick up speed!

poweredbysweat said:
I feel like such a wimp. I got going about 40 MPH going down a hill the other day, and I started braking. I did have to make a left turn at the bottom, but that wasn't the issue. I started braking long before that. This bike is a new ride for me, with under-seat steering, and I'm still feeling my way. But wow, does it ever pick up speed!
If you have under seat steering, you must have a recumbent, right? If so, you have a lot more courage than I do just to ride one of them. It looks like it would take a lot of getting used to it just to ride, period. Much less ride fast. I think most of these posts are going to be about folks riding down big hills. Luckily my ride was pretty close to straight down one hill and straight back up the next.

kdelong said:
If you have under seat steering, you must have a recumbent, right? If so, you have a lot more courage than I do just to ride one of them. It looks like it would take a lot of getting used to it just to ride, period. Much less ride fast. I think most of these posts are going to be about folks riding down big hills. Luckily my ride was pretty close to straight down one hill and straight back up the next.
Yes I do. I had another Bent before this one, but it was much more conventional. I had three things to get accustomed to, with this one:
1. Short Wheel Base
2. Under Seat Steering
3. Toe Clips (prior to this, I only used straps). The bike came with FROG pedals, so I had to purchase the clips.

Every day, I get more confidence. It's getting to the point, where I can hold a reasonably straight line real well. Here's a pic:
492838350_35443747bf.jpg

Hi Jim,

Looks like a nice ride. That seat looks a little too comfy for me. I could just imagine getting too comfortable and falling asleep at 20 - 30 MPH on a bike! Sorry that this is off the subject.

89kph (55.3mph) down a short, but very steep hill

it's funny how wind direction affects speed, even on very steep hills. On this hill, without a tailwind, I struggle to hit 80kph

Decending fast is great fun but always in my mind is; man, if something happens this is going to hurt. My fastest is 45 MPH. One of my favorite decents ends on a bridge (with no shoulder) over the Genesee river in Portageville NY. The speed limit is 35 at the bridge so I always take the middle of the lane to prevent crazies from trying to pass.

Xsmoker said:
Decending fast is great fun but always in my mind is; man, if something happens this is going to hurt. My fastest is 45 MPH. One of my favorite decents ends on a bridge (with no shoulder) over the Genesee river in Portageville NY. The speed limit is 35 at the bridge so I always take the middle of the lane to prevent crazies from trying to pass.
YIKES! But probably a good idea. The only trouble is that Americans in cars like the "freedom" to speed at any velocity they choose.

poweredbysweat said:
YIKES! But probably a good idea. The only trouble is that Americans in cars like the "freedom" to speed at any velocity they choose.
174mph......oh, without a motor, 56. I want to crack 65 on my new one.

Remember, if its to loud or fast, your too old.

poweredbysweat said:
Hey, I resemble that remark.

going straight with a bit help from the wind 51mph. wind can be your friend or your enemy.

I want to hit 50 mph on my bike, I've gotten to 42 mph and that is almost sprinting down a long hill, not super steep, just long and straight. Go figure that there is an "s" turn at the end of it that I have to keep in mind

35 is my best so far, but not because of fear of the speed, but fear of the road conditions, No good hills around here that are paved well. Too many potholes and patchwork repairs.

46mph on my old 90' Fuji Ace (Steel Frame); back when I was 17-18... I would be scared to hit that nowadays ;) (old man at 32)

58mph down long moderate down grade, too fast to try to apply my breaks but fast enough to apperciate the good construction of my frame.