whats your suggestions for guiness extreme records?

tomsey

Guest
i recieved an email this morning about a guiness world record TV show
starting up here in aus.

i was wondering everyones thoughts about what sort of records i could
set or break either live in a studio or in an australian unicycling
extraviganza segment...

Hi Alex,

It was good to chat with you this morning and I’m exited at the prospect
of having you on our show. As promised here are a few details pertaining
to the show.

We’re already sending camera crews around Australia documenting record
attempts or existing record holders. We will also feature Guinness World
Record attempts LIVE in studio when we tape the program in front of an
audience.

I will contact our head office in London today and find out whether
there are currently any existing records for some of the possible
unicycling categories we discussed earlier eg, Longest Handrail Grind on
Unicycle, Longest Distance on Pole on Unicycle, Highest Drop into Ramp
on Unicycle and Unicycle High Jump. If there are current records I’ll
get the guidelines and statistics sent straight away. If these
categories don’t yet exist we will try and create new records with
future guidelines to be based on your methods.

I’ll be in touch as soon as I know more and look forward to seeing the
mpegs you mentioned. If you have any further queries please don’t
hesitate to contact me.

---------------------
im not too sure why, but i think i am breaking this out of confidence,
oh well..

tomsey

--
tomsey - hardcore unicyclist

www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net
tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

Highest drop would probably be a good one. It would have a good audience
appeal. I think the current record for highest drop on a bike is about
13 feet (straight down, without run-up), so if you could manage a little
more than that, you could even beat a bike record on a unicycle!

How would these proposed records relate to previous unicycle records
which are well-documented in unicycle circles, but which wouldn't
necessarily be accepted by Guiness? It would seem kind of dishonest, for
instance, to set a high-jump record of 90cm, when it's well known other
riders have done higher. (I'm not making any assumptions about your
ability, just saying that Guiness might consider something like that to
be a record, when it actually wouldn't be.) Any records you set should
be real records.

--
jsm - Freestyler

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Tomsey, are there any tricks that you actually think you are the best in
the world at? If there are, then present all of them to Guiness. If
there aren't, then you should probably direct Guiness to the people who
actually have the records in these categories (highest hop). It would
be lame to have a record only due to Guiness's ignorance.

Longest rail grind seems reasonable, but who knows if you're the best at
it.

Maybe you can post some of your personal best records here, and people
who can top them can let you know. If there are any records that people
can't top, there you go. It seems like a tough position to be in,
bitter sweet.

--
hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

Longest sustained snit from being asked if one is a clown while
unicycling.*

*tomsey, this is not directed at you, just a general pointless comment
from the peanut gallery.

--
JJuggle - My Duchess of Prunes

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

'7th Annual LBI Unithon' (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) -
Saturday, June 11, 2005.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

What you guys are asking is that all potential record attempters
eliminate themselves from possibly holding a record if there may have
been or may be someone who, if they could be bothered to go through the
formalities, could do better if they felt like trying.

Go for any record you want. If you can get it, it's all yours and
you'll be on the books. If you can, improve and try again until you
have it.

Don't let real or imaginary ghosts defeat you before you even start.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

forrestunifreak wrote:
> *Longest still stand maybe.Kris Holm probally has the highest drop,but
> its not recorded by guiness............... *

For longest stillstand you'll have to do better than 15 minutes, I
believe. Yes, I think KH has done a drop of about 14'. Doing these is
very dependent on the landing surface (and landing angle). Kris landed
to soft, angled dirt. It is not an official record. The 15-minute
stillstand was done at Unicon last summer with many expert witnesses.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

I would say try to get the longset grind. Its something that is not well
documented, you can do it on a sloped rail on the ground or a handrail.
And I dont think there is currently anyone out there that has really
pushed this part of grinding.

Cheers and goodluck
Chex

--
Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20

Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

johnfoss wrote:
> *For longest stillstand you'll have to do better than 15 minutes, I
> believe. Yes, I think KH has done a drop of about 14'. Doing these is
> very dependent on the landing surface (and landing angle). Kris landed
> to soft, angled dirt. It is not an official record. The 15-minute
> stillstand was done at Unicon last summer with many expert witnesses.
> *

I thought KH's record was 16.5 feet high?

--
forrestunifreak - Mr. addict/team YAMS member

"You do not make the unicycle-the unicycle makes you."

~Y.C. tv

'torkerusa.com' (http://torkerusa.com)

Checkernuts wrote:
> *I would say try to get the longset grind....
> ....I dont think there is currently anyone out there that has really
> pushed this part of grinding.*

ahem

--
onetrack - that gliding guy

thedan.com unicycle team member

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil

Jim Neighbors is way cool

onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

I didnt mean that people wernt going big and doing record grinds all the
time, I just dont think anyone is recording the actual distance of the
grind beyond a 6set, 8 set, whatever.

That means even if someone sets a record for a 16 foot grind it would be
one, as no one has officially recorded doing one for distance, not that
no one has ever done a grind that big.

--
Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20

Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

im gonna have to agree with alot of the folks and highest drop would be
the most spectacular and cool, to those none uni'ing folk out there, and
the longest grind would be cool becuase they have to longest grind for
skateboarding in there

Chase

--
Unitik908 - team YAMS member

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat

Given that it's for TV and a live audience it will need to be something
visually appealing. I think that while something like a pedal grab
would be interesting for a unicyclist- it's not likely something a
non-unicycling audience would necessarily get. Maybe a simple high jump
over a bar would be better. And there are well documented records so
you know what you have to beat.

Something like a longest grind or biggest drop (but Kris's or Yoggis
would be tough to beat), or longest glide or fastest glide might work
too.

Good luck!

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

the guy said the longest grind etc. would be real complicated coz of the
angle, stair length and rail width amongst other vairables that would
have to all be documented... sounds like too much work...

i aint forgetting all the other guys. mike, kevin, shaun etc. but im
gonna have to go big or die trying to set the first ever handrail grind
record. 18+ sounds like a pretty good goal. i dont want it to be a 14
like my current pb.

dude... if i was gonna set a record i wanna make sure i beat current
unofficial world records. i reckon if i work hard enough i could get up
and around the 105 mark rolling hop. and as for highest drop, it all
depends on my unicycle holding up, but again its gonna have to be huge
to beat unoffical records.

i could also get another record, first person killed whilst trying for a
unicycling world record, how awesome would that be.

its gonna take a lot of work (if this thing gets the ok from producers)
on my behalf to put up an outstanding record.
i do know this

side note: imagine a record purpose built grind rail that was endless,
with a smooth slope and nice grinding surface, ahhh