whats your suggestions for guiness extreme records?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by tomsey, May 17, 2005.

  1. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

    i recieved an email this morning about a guiness world record TV show
    starting up here in aus.

    i was wondering everyones thoughts about what sort of records i could
    set or break either live in a studio or in an australian unicycling
    extraviganza segment...

    Hi Alex,

    It was good to chat with you this morning and I’m exited at the prospect
    of having you on our show. As promised here are a few details pertaining
    to the show.

    We’re already sending camera crews around Australia documenting record
    attempts or existing record holders. We will also feature Guinness World
    Record attempts LIVE in studio when we tape the program in front of an
    audience.

    I will contact our head office in London today and find out whether
    there are currently any existing records for some of the possible
    unicycling categories we discussed earlier eg, Longest Handrail Grind on
    Unicycle, Longest Distance on Pole on Unicycle, Highest Drop into Ramp
    on Unicycle and Unicycle High Jump. If there are current records I’ll
    get the guidelines and statistics sent straight away. If these
    categories don’t yet exist we will try and create new records with
    future guidelines to be based on your methods.

    I’ll be in touch as soon as I know more and look forward to seeing the
    mpegs you mentioned. If you have any further queries please don’t
    hesitate to contact me.

    ---------------------
    im not too sure why, but i think i am breaking this out of confidence,
    oh well..

    tomsey

    --
    tomsey - hardcore unicyclist

    www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net
    tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

  2. caw89

    caw89 Guest

  3. jsm

    jsm Guest

    Highest drop would probably be a good one. It would have a good audience
    appeal. I think the current record for highest drop on a bike is about
    13 feet (straight down, without run-up), so if you could manage a little
    more than that, you could even beat a bike record on a unicycle!

    How would these proposed records relate to previous unicycle records
    which are well-documented in unicycle circles, but which wouldn't
    necessarily be accepted by Guiness? It would seem kind of dishonest, for
    instance, to set a high-jump record of 90cm, when it's well known other
    riders have done higher. (I'm not making any assumptions about your
    ability, just saying that Guiness might consider something like that to
    be a record, when it actually wouldn't be.) Any records you set should
    be real records.

    --
    jsm - Freestyler

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  4. hecklar

    hecklar Guest

    Tomsey, are there any tricks that you actually think you are the best in
    the world at? If there are, then present all of them to Guiness. If
    there aren't, then you should probably direct Guiness to the people who
    actually have the records in these categories (highest hop). It would
    be lame to have a record only due to Guiness's ignorance.

    Longest rail grind seems reasonable, but who knows if you're the best at
    it.

    Maybe you can post some of your personal best records here, and people
    who can top them can let you know. If there are any records that people
    can't top, there you go. It seems like a tough position to be in,
    bitter sweet.

    --
    hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
    hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

  5. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    Longest sustained snit from being asked if one is a clown while
    unicycling.*

    *tomsey, this is not directed at you, just a general pointless comment
    from the peanut gallery.

    --
    JJuggle - My Duchess of Prunes

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    '7th Annual LBI Unithon' (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) -
    Saturday, June 11, 2005.
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  6. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    What you guys are asking is that all potential record attempters
    eliminate themselves from possibly holding a record if there may have
    been or may be someone who, if they could be bothered to go through the
    formalities, could do better if they felt like trying.

    Go for any record you want. If you can get it, it's all yours and
    you'll be on the books. If you can, improve and try again until you
    have it.

    Don't let real or imaginary ghosts defeat you before you even start.

    --
    U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  7. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > *Longest still stand maybe.Kris Holm probally has the highest drop,but
    > its not recorded by guiness............... *

    For longest stillstand you'll have to do better than 15 minutes, I
    believe. Yes, I think KH has done a drop of about 14'. Doing these is
    very dependent on the landing surface (and landing angle). Kris landed
    to soft, angled dirt. It is not an official record. The 15-minute
    stillstand was done at Unicon last summer with many expert witnesses.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  8. Checkernuts

    Checkernuts Guest

    I would say try to get the longset grind. Its something that is not well
    documented, you can do it on a sloped rail on the ground or a handrail.
    And I dont think there is currently anyone out there that has really
    pushed this part of grinding.

    Cheers and goodluck
    Chex

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

  9. johnfoss wrote:
    > *For longest stillstand you'll have to do better than 15 minutes, I
    > believe. Yes, I think KH has done a drop of about 14'. Doing these is
    > very dependent on the landing surface (and landing angle). Kris landed
    > to soft, angled dirt. It is not an official record. The 15-minute
    > stillstand was done at Unicon last summer with many expert witnesses.
    > *

    I thought KH's record was 16.5 feet high?

    --
    forrestunifreak - Mr. addict/team YAMS member

    "You do not make the unicycle-the unicycle makes you."

    ~Y.C. tv

    'torkerusa.com' (http://torkerusa.com)

  10. fcwegnm0b

    fcwegnm0b Guest

    Tomsey, don't you have a rediculous pedal grab height? Like 130 cm or
    something...? I seem to remember you besting Kris Holm's personal
    record.

    Dave

    --
    fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

    I caught you a delicious bass.
    fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

  11. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    Checkernuts wrote:
    > *I would say try to get the longset grind....
    > ....I dont think there is currently anyone out there that has really
    > pushed this part of grinding.*

    ahem

    --
    onetrack - that gliding guy

    thedan.com unicycle team member

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil

    Jim Neighbors is way cool

    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  12. tugboat

    tugboat Guest

    Good call Mike. And there are several people who are pushing it, at
    least with attempts if not successes, a record handrail grind would
    actually have to be pretty big these days.

    Kevin

    --
    tugboat - street unicyclist

    "You won't get hurt if you land it!"
    tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

  13. tugboat

    tugboat Guest

    Good call Mike. And there are several people who are pushing it, at
    least with attempts if not successes, a record handrail grind would
    actually have to be pretty big these days.

    Kevin

    --
    tugboat - street unicyclist

    "You won't get hurt if you land it!"
    tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

  14. Checkernuts

    Checkernuts Guest

    I didnt mean that people wernt going big and doing record grinds all the
    time, I just dont think anyone is recording the actual distance of the
    grind beyond a 6set, 8 set, whatever.

    That means even if someone sets a record for a 16 foot grind it would be
    one, as no one has officially recorded doing one for distance, not that
    no one has ever done a grind that big.

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

  15. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    im gonna have to agree with alot of the folks and highest drop would be
    the most spectacular and cool, to those none uni'ing folk out there, and
    the longest grind would be cool becuase they have to longest grind for
    skateboarding in there

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - team YAMS member

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat

  16. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    Given that it's for TV and a live audience it will need to be something
    visually appealing. I think that while something like a pedal grab
    would be interesting for a unicyclist- it's not likely something a
    non-unicycling audience would necessarily get. Maybe a simple high jump
    over a bar would be better. And there are well documented records so
    you know what you have to beat.

    Something like a longest grind or biggest drop (but Kris's or Yoggis
    would be tough to beat), or longest glide or fastest glide might work
    too.

    Good luck!

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

  17. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

    the guy said the longest grind etc. would be real complicated coz of the
    angle, stair length and rail width amongst other vairables that would
    have to all be documented... sounds like too much work...

    i aint forgetting all the other guys. mike, kevin, shaun etc. but im
    gonna have to go big or die trying to set the first ever handrail grind
    record. 18+ sounds like a pretty good goal. i dont want it to be a 14
    like my current pb.

    dude... if i was gonna set a record i wanna make sure i beat current
    unofficial world records. i reckon if i work hard enough i could get up
    and around the 105 mark rolling hop. and as for highest drop, it all
    depends on my unicycle holding up, but again its gonna have to be huge
    to beat unoffical records.

    i could also get another record, first person killed whilst trying for a
    unicycling world record, how awesome would that be.

    its gonna take a lot of work (if this thing gets the ok from producers)
    on my behalf to put up an outstanding record.
    i do know this

    side note: imagine a record purpose built grind rail that was endless,
    with a smooth slope and nice grinding surface, ahhh

    --
    tomsey - hardcore unicyclist

    www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net
    tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038