Wheel sizes

Rain_of_Fire

Jun 5, 2006
Hi

My MTB has 26 x 2 wheels. I was having a problem with the rear wheel, spokes kept breaking (about once a week).

I went to the LBS to get a new wheel , only a cheapo one, and i was sold a wheel with the following stamped on it:

19 x 559

Is this the same size as 26 x 2 and is it compatible?

I put this wheel on the bike, the only problem now is that my rear tyre feels a lot flatter, even more so when cornering. My tyres are Nokian slicks 26 x 2.

Thanks

Paul

Rain_of_Fire said:
Hi

My MTB has 26 x 2 wheels. I was having a problem with the rear wheel, spokes kept breaking (about once a week).

I went to the LBS to get a new wheel , only a cheapo one, and i was sold a wheel with the following stamped on it:

19 x 559

Is this the same size as 26 x 2 and is it compatible?

I put this wheel on the bike, the only problm now is that my rear tyre feels alot flatter, even more so when cornering. My tyres are Nokian slicks 26 x 2.

Thansk

Paul
Do you still have your OLD wheel? I'm guessing that it has a 559-17 rim ...

The 559 number indicates the rim diameter in millimeters ...

the OTHER number indicates the bead-to-bead measurement in millimeters.

With a slightly wider rim, the wheel will be "flatter" ... not necessarily a bad thing on the trail ... not necessarily a good thing on the road.

The wheel you probably NEED is one that is has 36 spokes ... AND/OR, you have to have your delinquint wheel rebuilt where the spokes are properly tensioned ... THAT may or may not be worth the cost to you depending on the hub & rim + cost of having the wheel rebuilt.

OR, you can view this as an opportunity to learn how to lace up, tension, and true a wheel!