when did everyone first learn to ride a bike without stablizers

infinitive one

Aug 3, 2003
i would be interested to know when everyone else started cycling without stablizers i started at the age of 3

I learnt to ride at about 8 years of age. Dad bought me a 24 inch bike. He took me out, held the seat for 20 or 30 metres, then let me go. After 3 or 4 goes I was away. Stabilisers are for babies!

I did the same with my kids, only they started at about 4 years age. It only took a few goes (sans stabilisers) and they rode easily.

I was six when I learned how to ride a bike. It was a heavy, balloon tired women's bike.

I was six when I learned to ride 'two wheels'.

I did teach a five year old girl how to ride two wheels and go no-handed around a gym once. She was a very impressive!!

My son didnt learn to ride till he was 11. My next youngest (a girl) learned around age 8. My youngest (girl) just learned at 4.

I learned at 12 (!)

Originally posted by HellonWheels
My son didnt learn to ride till he was 11. My next youngest (a girl) learned around age 8. My youngest (girl) just learned at 4.

I learned at 12 (!)

I think i was around 6.

had to be 8 or 9. first crash next day involving a parked car....oops

I started around 7, I think... I was wondering if anyone has used those training handles to teach their child to ride a bike? I'm looking at buying one for our 5 year old son. The one I'm looking at is called the Ready Rider. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Angelk816
I started around 7, I think... I was wondering if anyone has used those training handles to teach their child to ride a bike? I'm looking at buying one for our 5 year old son. The one I'm looking at is called the Ready Rider. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kids generally pick up the balance thing pretty quickly. The only pain for you is having to run along beside them for the first few goes. If the handle makes this easier then go for it. However, if it becomes an escape for the child not to learn to balance properly then I'd say forget it.

5 or 6. My memory's a bit vague on anything below the age of ten or so.