Where to find a road partner who isn't so funny.

grandamn

Apr 18, 2011
I'm 30 and looking for someone to ride with in NY around the same age. I went to a couple of different club meetings and it always seems to be older people who are, well, funny.

Define "funny". What is it that you're looking for?

Ride groups are a spider web of connections. If you keep poking around you'll get connected with what you want.

Funny like 'Tucker and Dale vs. Evil' or funny like, in the head?

A good strategy is to find some individuals on the road you enjoy riding with and then ride with their groups/clubs if they have them. There's a good chance they are like minded folks, at least for the smaller clubs. Finding a good club is much like finding a good date.

Let's see what you are like after using recreational drugs for several decades. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Reactions: davereo
Originally Posted by grandamn .

I'm 30 and looking for someone to ride with in NY around the same age. I went to a couple of different club meetings and it always seems to be older people who are, well, funny.

bwa-ha-ha-ha!!! As an active member of a New York-based cycling club, I'd be willing to bet OP went to one of my club's meetings...perhaps even met me!

Yep, I'm older than 30.

And apparently some folks think I'm funny too.

But if you met any of us on the road, you'd probably find that
A) we don't let anyone's age affect our desire to ride, or the types of rides we do. Cycling is the Great Democratizer: I've been on group rides where some members were 25 years younger than me and some were 25 years older than me...but it didn't impact how/where/why we rode, in fact it was only a noticeable curiosity after the fact;
and B), we're all extremely serious about safety, predictability, and not-being-an-asshat-on-the-bike. Nothing "funny" there at all.

You seem like you would fit right in with those "funny" people, so what's the problem?

Originally Posted by Froze .

You seem like you would fit right in with those "funny" people, so what's the problem?

Problem is he's 30 and suddenly realized he'll soon be older and funnier. Scares everyone the first time. Trying to run away, but as we all know.... <grin>

I'm not discriminating about age. I just thought if would be better for me if at a stop I could talk to someone at the same point in life and have more in common with. I don't have kids or in-laws. Instead of talking about taking the kids to soccer on Sunday i'd rather talk about going out on Friday.

I'm not discriminating about age. I just thought if would be better for me if at a stop I could talk to someone at the same point in life and have more in common with. I don't have kids or in-laws. Instead of talking about taking the kids to soccer on Sunday i'd rather talk about going out on Friday.
Well, if you really need to ride only with people like you, I suggest you invest a bit more effort in finding such a group. It likely exists, but others can't and shouldn't do your work for you. Of course, it could turn out that others don't want to ride with you.

I've got to admit I've pedaled with few that display your type of ignorance, be those people older or younger.

I always prefer the company of people who look, think, and act just like me /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif How boring is that? The groups I've ridden with have been pretty diverse with everyone from 20 year old hipsters to 60 year old hippies, hard core roadies, weekend warriors, and soccer mom's trying to stay in shape. Just as I like riding new routes, under varying conditions, and even on different bikes, I find that you can get a lot out of associating with a variety of people. Sure you have to weed out the occassional equine sphincter, but for the most part, all cyclists share a kind of kinship. Just be open minded and you'll be amazed at how interesting people can be.

Prolly going to find a lot of 30 somethings are smack dab in the middle of kids sports, busy careers, etc. Sometimes riding comes second, third or not at all in their time- challenged days. When they get a chance for a breather they are the funny older people you ran into. Sometimes it's enjoyable to share common interests with others and sometimes (usually always) it's interesting to see life from the eyes/experiences of others. In addition to 2-3 regular groups, I ride with 5-6 other groups less frequently. They all have different intensity levels, ride objective, etc, but they all love to ride. Could be you end up on a ride with a group of 50-60 somethings who have children in your exact circumstance and who are also trying to connect with riders with similar interests...

Like I said ... cycling community networks run very deep and wide -especially somewhere like NYC. Take the blinders off and see where it leads.

That's not being funny, that's being old. Welcome to life, man.

No, I dig it. When I raced I joined clubs that raced and I loved it because we were pretty much on the same page. I have especially fond memories of the Cyclonauts Racers, a family oriented club in Springfield, Mass., that did a particularly wonderful job of bringing together all age groups. Now that I don't race, I don't have much in common with most rec riders.

I get a kick out of the antics on Facebook of the younger crowd. They're out going to parties and branding themselves and I'm there mainly to keep an eye on my employer and daughter.

Riding groups each have a different personality you just need to ride with more groups to find one that fits your "type of funny".

To be perfectly honest you would enrich your life and riding experience 10 fold by taking the time to talk with and interact with people who have different things to offer. How boring would life be if all we had to talk about was the same thing over and over. You can talk about going out on Friday to someone who doesn't. You would be offering them the opportunity to live vicariously through you. Not every relationship hinges on what we can take but what we can offer.

I'm getting older every year and don't want to hang around with people my age so much either. I don't think you are my type either. Where can I find a group of 20s something attractive women to ride with? I'm willing to travel.

ahhh....whatever. The replies in this forum is what I meant by funny. I'm sure non of you would have a problem riding with the NAACP Cycling Club but I'm sure you would feel more comfortable riding amongst your peers.Merry Christmas!

Evidently your having one of those nights to remember. Your posting on cycling forums before midnight. No wonder you cant keep up with those old timers./img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

ahhh....whatever. The replies in this forum is what I meant by funny. I'm sure non of you would have a problem riding with the NAACP Cycling Club but I'm sure you would feel more comfortable riding amongst your peers.Merry Christmas!
Uh-huh. Right. Don't project your bigotry and closed mindedness on others. My peers, in cycling, would be people on bicycles, so I'd happily ride with the fictitious NAACP Cycling Club. I'm not frightened or made uneasy by things or people that are different than me. The more you talk, the more it seems that you will have difficulty finding a group to ride with.

Reactions: 64Paramount