where's the outrage???

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
    biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
    drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
    abuse among its performers.

    Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
    was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.

    WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
    television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
    in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
    that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
    an independent agency.

    "The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
    one," McMahon said.

    Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    or what??

    Tags:

  2. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
    > biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
    > drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
    > abuse among its performers.
    >
    > Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
    > was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
    >
    > WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
    > television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
    > in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
    > that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
    > an independent agency.
    >
    > "The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
    > one," McMahon said.
    >

    > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > or what??

    Supposedly for all of the above, but do you really have faith in
    Vince? He's so sleazy he'd have to crawl up out of the slime to kiss
    the Enron criminals' asses.
    Bill C

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Bill C wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    > > STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
    > > biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
    > > drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
    > > abuse among its performers.
    > >
    > > Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
    > > was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
    > >
    > > WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
    > > television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
    > > in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
    > > that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
    > > an independent agency.
    > >
    > > "The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
    > > one," McMahon said.
    > >

    > > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > > or what??

    > Supposedly for all of the above, but do you really have faith in
    > Vince? He's so sleazy he'd have to crawl up out of the slime to kiss
    > the Enron criminals' asses.
    > Bill C

    Don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel.

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 5 Dec 2005 16:57:20 -0800, "Scott" <hendricks_scott@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
    >biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
    >drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
    >abuse among its performers.
    >
    >Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
    >was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
    >
    >WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
    >television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
    >in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
    >that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
    >an independent agency.
    >
    >"The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
    >one," McMahon said.
    >

    >Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    >wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    >going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    >or what??

    Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers each
    carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
    percentages and you wonder what they'll test.

    Ron

  5. Roy Scherer

    Roy Scherer Guest

    They will test to make sure that they are not using too much dope. The
    threshold will be somewhat high.
    "RonSonic" <ronsonic@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > On 5 Dec 2005 16:57:20 -0800, "Scott" <hendricks_scott@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
    > >biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
    > >drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
    > >abuse among its performers.
    > >
    > >Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
    > >was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
    > >
    > >WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
    > >television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
    > >in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
    > >that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
    > >an independent agency.
    > >
    > >"The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
    > >one," McMahon said.
    > >

    > >Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > >wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > >going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > >or what??

    > Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers

    each
    > carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
    > percentages and you wonder what they'll test.
    >
    > Ron

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    RonSonic wrote:
    > On 5 Dec 2005 16:57:20 -0800, "Scott" <hendricks_scott@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
    > >biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
    > >drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
    > >abuse among its performers.
    > >
    > >Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
    > >was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
    > >
    > >WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
    > >television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
    > >in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
    > >that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
    > >an independent agency.
    > >
    > >"The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
    > >one," McMahon said.
    > >

    > >Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > >wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > >going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > >or what??

    > Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers each
    > carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
    > percentages and you wonder what they'll test.
    >
    > Ron

    We should test for the ability to recognize rhetorical questions.

  7. Scott wrote:

    > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > or what??

    I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
    around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
    the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
    the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
    traveling between gigs.

  8. On 5 Dec 2005 23:03:38 -0800, onexge@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
    >around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
    >the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
    >the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
    >traveling between gigs.

    Amusing mental picture of two guys that hit each other over the head
    with metal chairs in public pulling off to the side of the road to
    toke together.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  9. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On 5 Dec 2005 23:03:38 -0800, onexge@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
    > >around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
    > >the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
    > >the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
    > >traveling between gigs.

    > Amusing mental picture of two guys that hit each other over the head
    > with metal chairs in public pulling off to the side of the road to
    > toke together.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    Sort of like rugby players having beers together after a game?

  10. Scott wrote:

    > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > or what??

    Dumbass -

    All of the above.

    Those guys do something like 5 shows a week. Reportedly their bodies
    take a tremendous amount of punishment. It's not surprising - look at
    what they're doing - flying off the ropes, landing in the ring,
    sometimes landing *outside* of the ring and busting furniture on each
    other.

    The steroids to recover from the punishment and the recreationals to
    get "up" for the melodromatic overacting for the performances.

    Grapevine says that "professional" wrestling has the highest drug abuse
    rate of any avocation. Ya, it seems stupid because the "sport" is so
    stupid, but when one imagines what they have to do, then the drug use
    becomes even more obvious than that of the NFL.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  11. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    > >
    > > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > > or what??

    > Dumbass -
    >
    > All of the above.
    >
    > Those guys do something like 5 shows a week. Reportedly their bodies
    > take a tremendous amount of punishment.

    Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
    center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
    have the facts.

  12. On 6 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "RicodJour" <ricodjour@worldemail.com>
    wrote:

    >Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
    >center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
    >have the facts.

    Dumbass dumbass-

    I think that it is a safe assumption that a pro has a few techniques
    other than landing head first on the hardest object. That's why they
    go to schools for that sort of thing. OTOH, even then, there has to be
    a level of abuse. The 'reportedly' is until we have a graduate of
    their local wrestling school as a member of rbr. Bill C may be a
    volunteer, but he's getting a touch old.

    I did trip over a cord on stage once and fell off into folding chairs.
    Didn't hurt much, but wouldn't want to do it every day. No one hit me
    with a chair after I landed, either - just stood around laughing.

    Tough crowd.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  13. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    onexge@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
    > around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
    > the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
    > the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
    > traveling between gigs.

    Disquieting.

    Bob Schwartz

  14. RicodJour wrote:
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > > Scott wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
    > > > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
    > > > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
    > > > or what??

    > > Dumbass -
    > >
    > > All of the above.
    > >
    > > Those guys do something like 5 shows a week. Reportedly their bodies
    > > take a tremendous amount of punishment.

    > Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
    > center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
    > have the facts.

    Dumbass -

    I'm no xpert on professional wrestling. Just saw a short documentary
    about it on TV.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  15. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    RonSonic wrote:

    > Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers each
    > carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
    > percentages and you wonder what they'll test.

    I'm certain that the WWE's drug testing policy will be as real as their
    fights.

  16. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On 6 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "RicodJour" <ricodjour@worldemail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
    > >center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
    > >have the facts.

    > Dumbass dumbass-
    >
    > I think that it is a safe assumption that a pro has a few techniques
    > other than landing head first on the hardest object.

    Oh, I see. It's safe to assume they have techniques to make their
    antics not be an exertion, but it's not safe to assume that a guy
    getting clotheslined into a backflip (even if it's an act) might punish
    the body. Thanks for clearing that up.

  17. On 6 Dec 2005 08:52:08 -0800, "RicodJour" <ricodjour@worldemail.com>
    wrote:

    >Oh, I see. It's safe to assume they have techniques to make their
    >antics not be an exertion, but it's not safe to assume that a guy
    >getting clotheslined into a backflip (even if it's an act) might punish
    >the body.

    The 'inability to read for comprehension' award has been won - I'd
    send you the directions as to where to claim your prize, but they're
    written down and I don't want to be responsible for you getting lost.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  18. amit

    amit Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > Dumbass -
    >
    > The steroids to recover from the punishment and the recreationals to
    > get "up" for the melodromatic overacting for the performances.

    dumbass,

    the main reason for using drugs is to have the extreme physique one
    needs to be a successful character.

    that said most of the drug related wrestling deaths (too many to list)
    are due to recreational drugs.

  19. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On 6 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "RicodJour" <ricodjour@worldemail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
    > >center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
    > >have the facts.

    > Dumbass dumbass-
    >
    > I think that it is a safe assumption that a pro has a few techniques
    > other than landing head first on the hardest object. That's why they
    > go to schools for that sort of thing. OTOH, even then, there has to be
    > a level of abuse. The 'reportedly' is until we have a graduate of
    > their local wrestling school as a member of rbr. Bill C may be a
    > volunteer, but he's getting a touch old.
    >
    > I did trip over a cord on stage once and fell off into folding chairs.
    > Didn't hurt much, but wouldn't want to do it every day. No one hit me
    > with a chair after I landed, either - just stood around laughing.
    >
    > Tough crowd.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    Hell yeah
    When I was 18 I would've done it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for
    most of them it's like most of show business. Almost all of them make
    shit for money, think d3 US pros here, spend their lives driving from
    city to city and state to state, to go work in some HS gym instead of
    an industrial park.
    I have no illusions about my wrestling ability though. Two of my Air
    Force friends were really good amateur wrestlers, one much smaller than
    me, think average cyclist, and one much bigger. I'm pretty sure he's
    the Craig Ewert here:
    http://tinyurl.com/7jawh
    When I'd get a little cocky Mike, my roomate, would tie me in a knot
    and almost remove a limb or two. Craig would just abuse anyone who
    tried him without doing any real damage though there was no doubt he
    could've. Good thing they both were really even tempered nice guys.
    It's amazing what a real good wrestler can do.
    Would've been nice to have a script since I was getting trounced
    without one. ;-)
    Bill C

  20. Curtis L. Russell wrote:

    > >I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
    > >around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
    > >the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
    > >the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
    > >traveling between gigs.

    > Amusing mental picture of two guys that hit each other over the head
    > with metal chairs in public pulling off to the side of the road to
    > toke together.

    Sounds like just another Bay Area training ride with the
    cyclocrossers ...

    Ben
    It's the guys that hit each other with folding chairs in private
    that worry me

Share This Page