Which bike box do you use anw why?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gurrie, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Gurrie

    Gurrie Guest

    I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike on the plane.

    What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?

    I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am open
    to other options....

    Any and all advice is appreciated,

    Regards,

    Craig

    Tags:

  2. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    I ran into a guy from Sydney the other day. He had an impressive looking Giant MTB which he had brought with him on the plane. He told me he used the standard Qantas cardboard box, no problems at all, apart from the fact it couldn't fit in the car of his pick up friend.

    You seem to be getting all worked up about these boxes. Most people seem to be happy to use a standard airline box for interstate travel.

  3. Sbr_24_7

    Sbr_24_7 Guest

    There is a great deal on a 2d hand bike box on ebay right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657621599&category=2918

    "Gurrie" <lameus2@bigfoot.comHATESPAM> wrote in message news:401b7c3d_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
    > I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike
    on
    > the plane.
    >
    > What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?
    >
    > I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am
    > open to other options....
    >
    > Any and all advice is appreciated,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Craig

  4. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    Qantas will sell you a cardboard box (about $16) which does the job just fine. Can be a problem
    getting it in taxis.

    Jack Russell

    Gurrie wrote:

    >I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike on the plane.
    >
    >What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?
    >
    >I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am
    >open to other options....
    >
    >Any and all advice is appreciated,
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Craig

  5. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    My wife and I used each used an Iron Case to get our bikes to Hawaii last October. They're great,
    you can put an amazing amount of stuff in there with your nike. We borrowed them from friends, we
    bribed the first one with some Kona coffee and the second with some macadamia nut chocolates. Are
    you going somewhere interesting? Can you bribe your friends too?

    My backup plan was a couple of cardboard bike boxes we scrounged from a local bike store. Ask around
    at the stores, they usually just through them out.

    BTW - a friend of mine was told that the airline would have cardboard boxes to take his bike to IM
    Coeur d'Alene. Well, they didn't have anything suitable and he had to pull his bike apart and put it
    in 3 separate boxes. If you can't beg / borrow / steal a decent box, then buy one.

    Alan.

    "Gurrie" <lameus2@bigfoot.comHATESPAM> wrote in message news:401b7c3d_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
    > I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike
    on
    > the plane.
    >
    > What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?
    >
    > I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am
    > open to other options....
    >
    > Any and all advice is appreciated,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Craig

  6. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Jack Russell wrote:
    > Qantas will sell you a cardboard box (about $16) which does the job just fine. Can be a problem
    > getting it in taxis.

    Or get one free from your LBS who would only have to take it to the tip anyway, so both parties
    are happy.

    &roo

  7. Diana

    Diana Guest

    Check the bike shops in your area to see if they rent out bike cases or knows of someone who will. I
    did that for my trip to IM Florida. I rented a trico for $35 from the bike shop. It doesn't have
    wheels so it could be tricky getting it through the airport. I shipped mine through sports express
    directly from the bike shop (they will pick up from your house or hotel) to my hotel for the same
    price that the airlines charge and I didn't have to worry about lugging it around. I would
    definitely do it that way again. So easy and not expensive.

    I have used a tri all 3 as well. I liked it because I could put a lot of stuff in it. It did have
    wheels which make it easy to get through the aiport. One problem I had (and so did several of my
    friends) the latches break quite often. The manufacturer was great and would send new latches free
    of charge. But you need a rivet gun to put them on or have a bike shop do it incurring a labor
    charge. But still a great case. They have several sizes, I would get the upsable one so that I have
    the option of shipping it or bringing it on the plane.

    Diana

Share This Page