Which bike box do you use anw why?

Gurrie

Guest
I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike on the plane.

What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?

I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am open
to other options....

Any and all advice is appreciated,

Regards,

Craig

Originally posted by Gurrie
I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike on the plane.

What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?

I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am open
to other options....

Any and all advice is appreciated,

Regards,

Craig

I ran into a guy from Sydney the other day. He had an impressive looking Giant MTB which he had brought with him on the plane. He told me he used the standard Qantas cardboard box, no problems at all, apart from the fact it couldn't fit in the car of his pick up friend.

You seem to be getting all worked up about these boxes. Most people seem to be happy to use a standard airline box for interstate travel.

There is a great deal on a 2d hand bike box on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657621599&category=2918

"Gurrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike
on
> the plane.
>
> What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?
>
> I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am
> open to other options....
>
> Any and all advice is appreciated,
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig

Qantas will sell you a cardboard box (about $16) which does the job just fine. Can be a problem
getting it in taxis.

Jack Russell

Gurrie wrote:

>I am flying interstate later in the year and need to travel with my bike on the plane.
>
>What do you guys use in regards to a box/packaging etc when flying?
>
>I am considering a Tri-All-3 bike box if I can find one cheap enough (ie second hand), but I am
>open to other options....
>
>Any and all advice is appreciated,
>
>Regards,
>
>Craig

My wife and I used each used an Iron Case to get our bikes to Hawaii last October. They're great,
you can put an amazing amount of stuff in there with your nike. We borrowed them from friends, we
bribed the first one with some Kona coffee and the second with some macadamia nut chocolates. Are
you going somewhere interesting? Can you bribe your friends too?

My backup plan was a couple of cardboard bike boxes we scrounged from a local bike store. Ask around
at the stores, they usually just through them out.

BTW - a friend of mine was told that the airline would have cardboard boxes to take his bike to IM
Coeur d'Alene. Well, they didn't have anything suitable and he had to pull his bike apart and put it
in 3 separate boxes. If you can't beg / borrow / steal a decent box, then buy one.

Alan.

Jack Russell wrote:
> Qantas will sell you a cardboard box (about $16) which does the job just fine. Can be a problem
> getting it in taxis.

Or get one free from your LBS who would only have to take it to the tip anyway, so both parties
are happy.

&roo

Check the bike shops in your area to see if they rent out bike cases or knows of someone who will. I
did that for my trip to IM Florida. I rented a trico for $35 from the bike shop. It doesn't have
wheels so it could be tricky getting it through the airport. I shipped mine through sports express
directly from the bike shop (they will pick up from your house or hotel) to my hotel for the same
price that the airlines charge and I didn't have to worry about lugging it around. I would
definitely do it that way again. So easy and not expensive.

I have used a tri all 3 as well. I liked it because I could put a lot of stuff in it. It did have
wheels which make it easy to get through the aiport. One problem I had (and so did several of my
friends) the latches break quite often. The manufacturer was great and would send new latches free
of charge. But you need a rivet gun to put them on or have a bike shop do it incurring a labor
charge. But still a great case. They have several sizes, I would get the upsable one so that I have
the option of shipping it or bringing it on the plane.

Diana