Which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kilgore Trout, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the same price.

    Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

    Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

    Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

    -K.T.

    Tags:

  2. A, no question.

    Bianchis should be Celeste.

    Dan

    P.S. Hidden costs on used bikes include possibly replacing the stem, handlebars, crank arms, and
    seat, to get a good fit. This is one reason used bikes shouldn't be bought at much more than
    50% the depreciated value of a new bike, IMHO.

    Kilgore Trout wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    > same price.
    >
    > Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    > Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
    >
    > Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    > stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
    >
    > Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
    >
    > -K.T.

  3. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    Despite being a big sucker for orange bikes, I'd get the lugged 96. Sounds like it's definitely in
    better shape (and lugs are great, IMO).

    Bruce

  4. In article <3e358290.192985341@news-server.austin.rr.com>, Kilgore Trout
    <fortheboards@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    >same price.
    >
    >Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    >Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

    If you're going to bother buying a Bianchi this is the one.

    >Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    >stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

    Ugly.

    Boy do I hate fitting rimstrips on those CXP21s. A 16mm rimstrip is about as wide as fits in the
    channel but the nipple holes inside the rim are exactly that width as well. I ended up using Velox
    and contact cement last time. Just a minor peeve...

    --Paul

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Daniel Connelly" <djconnel@ieee.org> wrote in message news:3E358B3D.3070701@ieee.org...

    > A, no question.
    >
    > Bianchis should be Celeste.

    > P.S. Hidden costs on used bikes include possibly replacing the stem, handlebars, crank arms, and
    > seat, to get a good fit. This is one reason used bikes shouldn't be bought at much more than
    > 50% the
    depreciated
    > value of a new bike, IMHO.

    I hate Celeste, prefer orange. Plus, I'd go for the bike with less mileage. In addition to the
    above, true drivetrain condition is hard to assess. It may work perfectly and look good now, but you
    want to avoid having to spend another $100+ 3 months for a new cassette and chainrings.

    There are plenty of virtually unused bikes for sale, so there's no reason to get stuck with one
    that's worn out.

    Matt O.

  6. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
    >same price.
    >
    >Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
    >Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
    >
    >Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
    >stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
    >
    >Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
    >
    >-K.T.

    I would make sure to ride them before purchase. You made no mention of size but your personal
    preference is most important here, which one do you like best??

    If this were my choice, I would choose the lugged bike with the Celeste paint. As someone else
    commented, if it a Bianchi, its got to be Celeste.

    Jon Isaacs

  7. In article <3e358290.192985341@news-server.austin.rr.com>, fortheboards@yahoo.com says...

    >I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the same
    >price. Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock
    >(1996 Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste. Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown
    >mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front
    >der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

    Get the '96 model. The 98 sounds like it is well used and would need some money invested to get
    ready to ride.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  8. Daniel Connelly wrote:

    > A, no question.
    >
    > Bianchis should be Celeste.
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > P.S. Hidden costs on used bikes include possibly replacing the stem, handlebars, crank arms, and
    > seat, to get a good fit. This is one reason used bikes shouldn't be bought at much more than
    > 50% the depreciated value of a new bike, IMHO.

    Some/all of those "hidden costs" exist on new bikes too. People don't always know straight out if
    the bike is dialed in to the degree they find they want.

  9. On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:54:22 -0500, Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > I hate Celeste, prefer orange. Plus, I'd go for the bike with less mileage.

    But the green one had the lower mileage.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
    something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
    and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

Share This Page