Who was silly enough to ride in Melb on Sat?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    me me me!
    4 hours of fun in the sun... or not.

    Who then went and bought over $400 of
    warm cycle clothing?

    me me me!

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    Yesterday was nasty as could be.. so I was inside all day :)

    Even today I walked Yarra Blvd (400m from home) in the nice warm sun, good
    to see lots of people out on the cycle.

    Tomorrow mornings commute is looking a little chilly... I went out and got a
    skull cap, arm warmers and shoe covers just last week.

    GPL

    "hippy" <sbirnie@NOSPAMbigpond.com> wrote in message
    > me me me!
    > 4 hours of fun in the sun... or not.
    >
    > Who then went and bought over $400 of
    > warm cycle clothing?
    >
    > me me me!
    >
    > hippy

  3. >>>>> "GPLama" == GPLama <gplNOpublic@LISTSiinet.netORSPAM.au> writes:

    GPLama> Tomorrow mornings commute is looking a little chilly... I
    GPLama> went out and got a skull cap, arm warmers and shoe covers
    GPLama> just last week.

    I really don't get the arm warmers thing. If it's cold enough for arm
    warmers then generally it's cold enough for a thermal top.

    What am I missing here?
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    > I really don't get the arm warmers thing. If it's cold enough for arm
    > warmers then generally it's cold enough for a thermal top.
    >
    > What am I missing here?

    Arm warmers are perfect for me because I really only want my arms
    covered if it's below about 7-8 degrees. So I can start with them on and
    once the sun comes out and it warms up I can take them off.

    DaveB

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    <euan_b_uk@yahoo.co.uk
    > I really don't get the arm warmers thing. If it's cold enough for arm
    > warmers then generally it's cold enough for a thermal top.
    >
    > What am I missing here?

    Arm warmers are great for tight arses like me
    because I only have to buy summer tops and
    arm warmers rather than two sets of tops..
    Cheaper!

    Of course, the ability to freeze my backside off
    rather than spend money (a.k.a stupidity) seems
    higher than most people's. After the last few rides
    in crusty weather I'm starting to 'need' warmer
    gear though - if only to extend the feeling in my
    arms, hands, legs and feet for 30mins..

    I think I killed my brake pads on Sat with all the
    road grit. That 'pad on rim plus wet grit' scraping
    sound makes me cringe.. bring on disc brakes for
    road bikes!

    hippy

  6. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "GPLama" <gplNOpublic@LISTSiinet.netORSPAM.au> wrote in message
    > "hippy" <sbirnie@NOSPAMbigpond.com> wrote in message
    >> me me me!
    >> 4 hours of fun in the sun... or not.
    >>
    >> Who then went and bought over $400 of
    >> warm cycle clothing?
    >>
    >> me me me!

    > Yesterday was nasty as could be.. so I was inside all day :)

    I went one better. After staying up all night watching the opening of the
    Olympics I spent all Saturday in bed. Everytime I kinda sorta woke up I
    listened to the wind and the rain and promptly went back to sleep.

    > Even today I walked Yarra Blvd (400m from home) in the nice warm sun,
    > good to see lots of people out on the cycle.

    Heh. I've been buying winter gear but I still haven't used it.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  7. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Cold weather gear? I don't need any of that stuff... I just pedal harder! :p

    The rain and wet roads do get on my nerves though.

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au wrote in message
    > I went one better. After staying up all night watching the opening of the
    > Olympics I spent all Saturday in bed. Everytime I kinda sorta woke up I
    > listened to the wind and the rain and promptly went back to sleep.
    >
    > Heh. I've been buying winter gear but I still haven't used it.

    Winter gear doesn't mean:
    doona, hot water bottle, clock/radio :p

    hippy

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "SomeGuy" <SomeGuy.1b15sy@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com

    > Cold weather gear? I don't need any of that stuff... I just pedal
    > harder! :p

    You didn't ride in Melb on Sat didya? :p

    I want the warm gear to prevent the formation of
    ice between my joints so I CAN pedal harder :)

    > The rain and wet roads do get on my nerves though.

    My ride buddy (who needed an hour in front of
    my heater before he would go out again) had already
    lost it on wet tram tracks before meeting me. He
    gets bonus points for stacking and still riding!
    I must say, I nearly did the same later on, when a
    couple of those Kew twats decided they wanted to
    park.. right THERE right NOW!
    Having bugger all brakes left for the ride out of the
    city meant slowing down had to start WELL before
    the need to stop arose :-S

    Related blog:
    http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=37

    hippy

  10. DRS

    DRS Guest

    > "DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au wrote in message
    >> I went one better. After staying up all night watching the opening
    >> of the Olympics I spent all Saturday in bed. Everytime I kinda
    >> sorta woke up I listened to the wind and the rain and promptly went
    >> back to sleep.
    >>
    >> Heh. I've been buying winter gear but I still haven't used it.

    > Winter gear doesn't mean:
    > doona, hot water bottle, clock/radio :p

    Electric blanket, thankyouverymuch.

    Hot water bottle. As if!

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  11. CH

    CH Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > I think I killed my brake pads on Sat with all the
    > road grit. That 'pad on rim plus wet grit' scraping
    > sound makes me cringe.. bring on disc brakes for
    > road bikes!

    Was drooling over one of these in my LBS the other day:

    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3XR1.html

    Would just need to swap the knobby tyres for some slicks. Mmm.

    -- CH

  12. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Rode to work - Newport Power station chimney was wet on the west side, bone dry on the east side - the rain must have been horizontally torrential. Somehow, I caught a gap between showers, and got there fairly dry by dodging puddles. Roaring westerly tail wind.

    At 5pm, the sky was dark, the roof was rattling, and I was steeling myself for a dash to Spencer St station, mummified like the Bibendum, the Michelin man, but a considerate co-worker dropped by with his car and took me home, recognising me and my partner's carlessness. Yay Doogs!

    M "weather wuss" H

  13. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >> hippy wrote:
    >> I think I killed my brake pads on Sat with all the
    >> road grit. That 'pad on rim plus wet grit' scraping
    >> sound makes me cringe.. bring on disc brakes for
    >> road bikes!
    >
    >Was drooling over one of these in my LBS the other day:
    >
    >http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3XR1.html

    Where did you see this?

    One of these, setup like my road bike, would be awesome for
    commuting and wet-weather training rides. I'd just have to practice
    my dismount-shoulder holding for the run up the stairs at work..

    hippy

  14. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    I did at that, to work and back. The wind was a tad on the chilly side.

  15. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >SomeGuy
    >I did at that, to work and back. The wind was a tad on the chilly side.

    Eeew work on the weekend.. ;)

    >>hippy wrote:
    >>I want the warm gear to prevent the formation of
    >>ice between my joints so I CAN pedal harder :)
    >
    >Heh, I guess I can understand that... you do sort of have to pedal
    >*really* fast when you start off to get the first warmth going :p.

    It wasn't the start of the ride that bothered me. More so the progressive
    freezing and numbness of body parts over the four hours.. I love that
    feeling of feet being a solid lump of concrete. I think my body ceases
    blood flow to my feet in order to feed the rest of my legs for forward
    motion..
    It only takes a hot 30min shower (water restrictions can go to hell!) and another four hours in front of a heater and I'm good to walk again ;-)

    hippy

  16. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >CH
    >Was drooling over one of these in my LBS the other day:
    >http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3XR1.html

    Found the new model as well.. and red goes faster:
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4XR1.html

    hippy

  17. CH

    CH Guest

  18. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >CH
    >>hippy wrote:
    >>http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3XR1.html
    >
    > Where did you see this?
    >
    >Beeline on Cowley Rd (Oxford, UK). Cyclocross seems to be fairly popular
    >over here.

    Ahh.. well that makes sense then!! I was thinking to myself "surely not
    in Oz?!" :)

    I know there's people riding CX bikes, but they're certainly not common.

    hippy

  19. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Well, might interest you to know that according to the folks at SHM in the City, when they move to their new premises in the QV they're intending to create a dedicated single speed and hopefully cyclocross section as well - May just be a pipe-dream of course, but the thought's there at least and they seem to be interested in getting a bit more cyclocross awareness/action in Melbourne.

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    couple of the guys in there are fixed-nuts (get it, get it? guffaw)
    his jaw dropped when i described my newly acquired bike to him and he new exactly what it was and it was all i could do but back away slowly before he started dribbling on me :)
    (PS its a Kuwahara Kierin bike apparently. Both him and Peter Moore were stunned when I said I picked it up for $300, so Im well chuffed)

Share This Page