Why i don't care for univited wheel suckers

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Darn, sorry about the typo in the title. :mad:

Good example of why I don't like uninvited wheelsuckers who disrupt our group.

We've seen this dude many times on the trail. Actually a decent strong rider.

OK, we all know that my wife would not stay on my wheel if I didn't let here. I can sprint away and drop her at any time. Even on a bad day I could kick her ass! :D But that is not why I ride. I ride so that we can both have a good fun time riding together. She's done a lot of work to get to her level so that she can enjoy her cycling.

OK so we are out with friends enjoying our ride. We're holding a pace that keeps everybody happy. I'm holding steady at a pace that allows my wife to stay on but not so easy that she doesn't get any benefit from cycling. We are riding with friends who are all out there for the same reason. Enjoy the ride together.

So a couple times we roll up on this guy. Again, I am not trying very hard, I'm at a good cruising speed. He hops on the back and sucks wheel for a couple of miles. Then after he recovers he races around. OK you're making yourself look like an idiot cause as you can see, we don't react. Nobody gives a damn and nobody reacts or chases you down so you pretty much look stupid.

Now you really look stupid cause you faded and just holding a cruising speed we roll by you without trying or even wanting to pass you. But like the fool you are you hop on the back again thinking it's a race. I don't see how you can not make the connection that it is not a race. Nobody is grunting or attacking, or even breathing hard.But still you think it's a race and sprint around again.

OK so you make yourself look stupid that is OK with us cause we're laughing at your silly ass! :D

But! A month later we run into you again. This time you are determined to win the race! Oh yeah, what race?!:rolleyes:

So our group of 4 passes you again. Actually 5 because another uninvited wheel sucker hopped on the back but that is cool cause he's well behaved and we have no problem with that. So we continue on but as mentioned, this time you are determined to win the race! So you move up from behind an start bumping our friends out of their position one by one. Pretty soon you've bumped them all out one by one. Then you bump out my wife so I sit up and look at you like wtf are you and why are you on my wheel, where's my wife? :mad:

So the chump takes that opportunity to make his break for the win. Good go away cause you are making our ride dangerous. But unfortunately he fades again and oh **** we have to pass him again and not really wanting to do so. So we slow a bit but the fukker is fading more and more. You would think at this point the dude gets the idea that we aren't racing or that even if we were he is not going to "WIN THE RACE".

But we are about 5 miles from the end of our 44 mile ride and wtf should we have to stop so this moron? Hoping he rides away but he can't. So we roll by again and he hops on the back again.

BUT this time he moves up about 2 or 3 spaces and bumps one of our friends out again. I don't know exactly what happened but I hear 2 guys shout out loud. It's our 2 ride buddies at the back. The moron swerved hard and almost took 2 of them out while bumping up for position. He hit the guy in front of him but neither went down.They end up yelling at the guy giving him an earful. that's when I pulled out the camera and took a pic. So that later I could record the event for times like this when people wonder why I don't like uninvited wheel suckers (who have no sense of organization).

So we have to stop to get rid of this dope. But the dude stops with us, oh sheot! He starts telling us, oh yeah I was dong this and then I went around and tried to race you then you caught me blah blah blah!". So my friend when off on the guy, dude we aren't racing you and wft were you doing bumping rides out of line? You almost took us down and you shouldn't be riding with us cause you are dangerous!". :mad:

He had no idea what my friend was talking about. He was actually kind of hurt not knowing that he sucked!

That would be my guess is that a lot of guys think they are good riders when they are not. Of course we have a few friends that are not expert bike handlers but we compensate for that because "WE ALL KNOW EACH OTHER!".

So maybe it's a good idea to avoid groups you don't know. Try to get a feel of the riders passing you before you hop on. Are they really racing you or do you just suck? Is it a guy and his wife just our for a ride or is it Lance and the peleton trying to cross the finish line first for bonus points?

So anyway this dude gets his ass chewed by 2 of our riders.o_O

But the next time, which was this Sunday we encounter the guy, it's the same situation. We pass the guy then he hops on the back. Mike recognizes the guy and tells him to ride safely or gtf out! So he hops on and actually does ok by our standards. We actually pulled over at a park hoping to lose the guy anyway seeing it's early in the ride and not knowing what might go through his head later. But he stops with us!

At least this time he is well behaved. But it took for someone to open his eyes on his riding habits and his perception of what others are doing on their rides.

If it's a plan to go out and go fast then it's cool if other riders we pass hop on but you will be called to the front! FTR, too many guys are too wussy to lend a hand IMO! We've done it and out of 10 guys that hop on, only 2 or 3 will go to the front when their turn comes in the rotation.

I'll tell you, even if I am on a ride alone, no wife or buds to worry about, I still don't hop on anybody's wheel. I'm out for a workout and this is how I get it, by working out not sucking somebody's wheel letting them do the work for me! :cool:

The day the dude almost took out 2 of our riders. After that the dude ahead of him was scared to get back in line worried the guy was going to hit his wheel again. No he won't go down but the others might if he hits his wheel again.

Moments after he almost took out our riders. Good thing he didn't do that the first time when he bumped out my wife. I they would have went down I would have beat his ass unconscious then blamed it on the crash seeing he wouldn't remember it anyway! :D

0rider1_zpsgwjvw3vd.jpg

The next time we passed him. You can see we are relaxed and not pushing hard to pass. Mike's even giving the peace sign. He was well behaved this time. :cool:

That's him in the back. Again passed him with little effort. At leas he didn't try to "race" us again.

031316B_zpsvpdsbia6.jpg

I remember the first time I joined a big group that passed by our place. With the intention of joining, I had prepared and cyclists are courteous with their ilk so I was welcomed inside. But after a kilometer or so is the start of the ascent that gave me a hard time that I had to walk my bike. It was embarrassing because the guys at the back were egging me to go on. And so as not to disrupt their pacing, I turned back not really going back but just to show them that I'm leaving the pack. Surely I had created a sort of disturbance but just slight.

I remember the first time I joined a big group that passed by our place. With the intention of joining, I had prepared and cyclists are courteous with their ilk so I was welcomed inside. But after a kilometer or so is the start of the ascent that gave me a hard time that I had to walk my bike. It was embarrassing because the guys at the back were egging me to go on. And so as not to disrupt their pacing, I turned back not really going back but just to show them that I'm leaving the pack. Surely I had created a sort of disturbance but just slight.

To me it is very acceptable if the pack is accepting. Many many times we try to motivate other riders to hang on or keep up or even complete a ride. :cool:

It's the guys that nearly take down our riders that we do not feel we should accept them. :eek:

Mr. Beanz, your story had me riding the rivet, so to speak, on the edge of my seat. I'm glad nobody got hurt, feelings or otherwise.:confused:

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
To me it is very acceptable if the pack is accepting. Many many times we try to motivate other riders to hang on or keep up or even complete a ride. :cool:

It's the guys that nearly take down our riders that we do not feel we should accept them. :eek:

Once we were riding in a group of about 30 bikes when a high speed drunk Russian dude on a bike crashed into us...

A girl broke something! They picked her up with Le Ambulance!

Univited Wheelsuckers are like someone who shows up at your backyard BBQ and opens himself a frostie.

Losers.

OTOH....if a friend is suffering or if you are stronger, you should do your duty and pull.

There are some real annoyances out there. Feel your pain. But this is why I hate group rides. It seems like I always hear about some crazy **** going on. Cars being aggressive or something like you describe. You did say you allowed one guy to ride along because he behaved but if it's ok for one, you make it ok for all. I would suggest simply telling all others to either "go on" or "fall back" , that you want to keep it just your riders. May come off a bit terse but you avoid the ****. Happy pedaling!

He was actually kind of hurt not knowing that he sucked!

This was an opportunity to educate a rider that lacked both riding skills and social skills.

1. Drop back to his position.
2. Wrap a large Mr. B. arm around his shoulder.
3. Explain EXACTLY what is happening here:
a. No, we are not riding in a competition. We are having fun.
b. This is my wife and these are my friends. We have fun together.
c. You will NOT ride in a competitive or unsafe way near us or you WILL be gone.

p.s. Throwing a couple of, "You capiche?", "Es verdad, homes?" into your explanation usually helps.

p.p.s. A hard sideways shove that moves him into the drainage canal always helps comprehension.

OTOH....if a friend is suffering or if you are stronger, you should do your duty and pull.

I'll tell ya! One thing that frustrates me is that I have at times 3 or 4 other guys in our group who whine before we even start the ride. Whining how they are tired or how they haven't been on the bike the last week so they have an excuse not to take the front.

Being at the front for the entire 44 mile ride pulling 4 healthy men around because they whine is not exactly considered "doing your duty". :mad:

Id consider doing your duty is when some dude pulls you for 30 miles, at least step up and offer some assistance for a couple miles at least.

----------------------
This is from some dude who shows up to ride at times. I never invite him but he knows when we start so somewhat of an uninvited rider.

As I have mentioned before. I have this one guy who gets cocky the more he rides during the week. So it seems he wants to show off on the weekend rides. If we stop at a part to fill the bottles, he lets us take off ahead then says, "don't worry, I will catch you!". He does this 2 or 4 times on the ride. I think he feels the others will be impressed knowing he stopped for whatever reason but was strong enough to catch up.

Well I got tired of it so I called him to the front. He refused and started whining about how he couldn't because the wind would tire him out. He did it again on the last ride so I lifted the pace making it harder for him to catch up.

Once he did, I lifted the pace even more. We ended up dropping him! The he started whining asking why I lifted the pace on him. I explained it to him. You have energy to fart around but no energy to lend a hand?

Plus if you were not invited to ride along, you have no right to ask the lead rider to hold a certain pace so you can play games. :rolleyes:

This was an opportunity to educate a rider that lacked both riding skills and social skills.

1. Drop back to his position.
2. Wrap a large Mr. B. arm around his shoulder.
3. Explain EXACTLY what is happening here:
a. No, we are not riding in a competition. We are having fun.
b. This is my wife and these are my friends. We have fun together.
c. You will NOT ride in a competitive or unsafe way near us or you WILL be gone.

p.s. Throwing a couple of, "You capiche?", "Es verdad, homes?" into your explanation usually helps.

p.p.s. A hard sideways shove that moves him into the drainage canal always helps comprehension.

Actually I did explain the situation to him after the other guys reamed his butt ha ha! He ended up telling me that he wanted me to go to Mexico to do a century out there with him. Not sure of the name but maybe something like "Tecate Century" ride. He said we could get matching jerseys and ride as a team.

Of course I passed on the offer. I know I'll spend money to travel just so I can drag some dude around on a ride he wants to do! o_O But at least he was cool!

Actually I did explain the situation to him after the other guys reamed his butt ha ha! He ended up telling me that he wanted me to go to Mexico to do a century out there with him. Not sure of the name but maybe something like "Tecate Century" ride. He said we could get matching jerseys and ride as a team.

Of course I passed on the offer. I know I'll spend money to travel just so I can drag some dude around on a ride he wants to do! o_O But at least he was cool!

Sooo, Mr. B... If I come ridin' with you guyyyzzz you want me to "Be On Top"? :D

" Hi fellas I'm ready to haul! :D You're gonna keep 27kmh average or I'm gonna kick your @Ss! " :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.