Will 29"x1.8" Tire Fit On 700c Wheel?

mossman

Apr 6, 2015
I'm looking to put beefier tires on my Specialized Crosstrail hybrid, which currently has 700x35c wheels/tires. I'm curious if a 29"x1.8" tire will fit without issue. I'm 215 lbs and need a little more cushion than the 700x35's provide when hopping curbs, etc. and a bit better traction during light off-roading. If I can't get a beefier tire on there, then I will likely sell the bike (see classifieds section).

The 29x1.8 tires (622-45) should fit on the rim (remember, you'll need different tubes) ...

But, not all "Hybrid" frames are sized the same ...

Without seeing your frame OR said tire size installed, I'll suggest that if the odds are good that the frame WILL be able to handle the 29x1.8 tire because most Hybrid frames were once equipped with 622-42 tires AND had clearance to have a fender installed ...

If in doubt (not as good as actually fitting a wheel-and-tire, of course), YOU simply need to measure the interior width of your frame's rear stays ... that is, the gap between your current tires & the stays.

BTW. If you don't need knobby tires, then you may want to try a pair of more mundane "Hybrid" tires because they will probably cost less than 1/2 as much ...

Just measured the distance between the rear stays. There is about 2.5" of total clearance and about 3/8" clearance on either side of the existing 700Cx35 wheel. Appears to be plenty of room for a 1.8" 29er (right?).

I'm going to say "yes" ... you should be good-to-go as far as the frame clearance for the 622-45 tires ...

BUT, I still think that you may want to consider a set of the more plebeian 622-42 Hybrid tires, first ...

I would think that the difference (beside sidewall suppleness & cost!) is in the "pavement" tread vs. knobby tread.

While the tread pattern on traditional Hybrid tires is really for pavement and not designed for really loose stuff, I think the tire size is suitable for most hard packed gravel or moderately rutted fire roads.

BTW. I presume you are asking because you are planning on using mail order. Otherwise, just bring the bike into your LBS.

I noticed there are also 700x42 tires available. Not much luck finding many 622-42 tires. The Maxxis Wormdrive tires look pretty sweet. Can't seem to find them stateside though. In fact, they aren't even listed on the Maxxis website. What the hell?

622-42 is 700cX42. 700c is the name of the size. 622 is the ISO designation, which is also the bead seat diameter in millimeters.

Yeah, thanks. I gathered as much. I've been able to find a few now. I was searching the wrong thing. 700x42c has given me some good results.