Will an 11 cog wheel work instead of a 13 cog on a Shimano megarange?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by IanC3po@yahoo.co.uk, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
    smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
    bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
    invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
    problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

    Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
    rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article
    <1160502954.026786.302230@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
    IanC3po@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
    > smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
    > bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
    > invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
    > problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
    > rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

    There is a problem replacing the first (smallest)
    cogwheel because it is different from the inside
    cogwheels. Be sure the chain is long enough, even
    though it is only two more cogs; or replace the chain.
    See Sheldon's pages for cogwheel replacement, and chain
    fitting details.

  3. Someone wrote:
    > I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
    > smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
    > bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
    > invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
    > problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

    If the sprocketsn are worn, the chain is definitely toasted. You will
    certainly need a new chain. Shouldn't be any issue witth the cranks.

    > Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
    > rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

    No, not possible, the replacement parts are not available. Also, the
    11-34 is a totally different mechanism than that used in the 11-34.
    Shimano had to completely re-invent the freewheel to get an 11 to work.
    The result is the finest freewheel ever made, and it's dirt cheap!
    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7

    Sheldon "Seven Come Eleven" Brown

  4. IanC3po@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
    > smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
    > bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
    > invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
    > problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

    No

    > Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
    > rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

    Yes but shiftimng off the 11t 'may' be problematic.

    > Thanks

  5. TonyKiz

    TonyKiz Guest

    Replace the whole freewheel with another Mega 7 and you will have no
    problems. They're cheap enough, too.

  6. On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:12:22 GMT, Michael Press <jack@abc.net> wrote:
    >In article
    ><1160502954.026786.302230@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
    > IanC3po@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
    >> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
    >> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
    >> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
    >> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
    >>
    >> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
    >> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

    >There is a problem replacing the first (smallest)
    >cogwheel because it is different from the inside
    >cogwheels. Be sure the chain is long enough, even
    >though it is only two more cogs; or replace the chain.
    >See Sheldon's pages for cogwheel replacement, and chain
    >fitting details.

    Uh.. he's going from a 13 to an 11, if anything, he should make sure the
    chain isn't too long. The large/large combination will remain the same,
    therefore minimum chain length stays the same.

    Jasper

Share This Page