Work Bench Plans For Bicycle Maintenance

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
Are there plans available for work benches that satisfy the needs of bicyclists? Or is any old workbench design good enough, as long as it can support a load of stuff and various vises?

Thanks

Bob

An old desk...a resin 6' table...a Harbor Freight el cheapo 'oak' work bench...a home made dimensional lumber special. All of it is plenty good to work on bikes and hold a couple hundred pounds of tools, lubricants, cleaners and shop supplies.

Or go berserk and hit Lowes/Home Depot/Menards for a garage full of diamondplate cabinets, rollaway boxes and a butcher block laminate bench top.

I get the message! Thanks again, CampyBob!

One icy cold day I watched an entire YouTube video series on how to build the perfect woodworker's bench and a shorter one on building a rollable stand to hold clamps. The guy who built the woodworker's bench did his homework, he visited the carpentry shop that serves a TV show because the cast and crew need very rapid turnaround on stage props, scenery, furniture. Now that shop had benches! Big ones! Little ones! Medium ones!

Bob

I went the dimensional lumber route. That is no longer my basement. I attached a peg board to the back of it. I also have a good vice attached, but it's a good view. The bench is sturdy as all heck and when the top gets ruined, about $20 will replace it. I want to say the whole thing cost me like $65 there board backer was another $40 or so. for an 8ft bench that's not bad.

image.jpg

I have a very simple workbench in my garage for my bicycles. I've found that I don't need anything special or complicated from my workbench. As long as it's sturdy, and I have the right tools, then I'm more than content. I built mine from some old wood, and that's pretty much what I've been using for the past couple years. I know people that have these insanely fancy setups, and they are quite impressive!