Yesterday's trip to work (vid)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin Dann, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. Martin Dann

    Martin Dann Guest

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuCUDo1ochA

    Cycle past a car and lorry using the overtaking lane on a
    dual carriage way.

    Initially I pulled into a reasonable position to pass the
    car, expecting to pull in afterwards, but then saw the
    lorry. You can just see the slight wobble as I start to
    pull in, then carry on in the overtaking lane.
    After the car, I was too close to the lane markings.

    Would adopting a more primary position have encouraged
    undertaking?

    Also note the car in front of me whilst we are passing the
    stopped vehicles, it is far too close to the lorry, and
    appears to want to undertake.

    Martin.

    Tags:

  2. Martin Dann

    Martin Dann Guest

  3. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    Martin Dann said the following on 20/07/2007 01:08:

    > Also note the car in front of me whilst we are passing the stopped
    > vehicles, it is far too close to the lorry, and appears to want to
    > undertake.

    I would read that slightly differently - yes, he was way too close to
    the lorry in front of him, but was just going to pull back over to the
    left hand lane. Because he couldn't see where he was going, he didn't
    see the other lorry stopped in the left hand lane until he'd started
    pulling over, so pulled back out again. Of course, we can't see what
    happens after - perhaps he tried again and did undertake!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  4. Martin Dann <martin.dann@virgin.net> wrote:

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuCUDo1ochA
    >
    > Cycle past a car and lorry using the overtaking lane on a
    > dual carriage way.
    >
    > Initially I pulled into a reasonable position to pass the
    > car, expecting to pull in afterwards, but then saw the
    > lorry. You can just see the slight wobble as I start to
    > pull in, then carry on in the overtaking lane.
    > After the car, I was too close to the lane markings.
    >
    > Would adopting a more primary position have encouraged
    > undertaking?

    possibly

    > Also note the car in front of me whilst we are passing the
    > stopped vehicles, it is far too close to the lorry, and
    > appears to want to undertake.
    >
    > Martin.

    this said at the point holding the line would seem the safest option, at
    slower speed i sometimes see that going though hampton hill by car get
    someone on a bike doing there best to try to cling to the left rather
    than just holding the road.

    roger

    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  5. Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in news:46a0631a$0$1616
    $ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

    > Martin Dann said the following on 20/07/2007 01:08:
    >
    >> Also note the car in front of me whilst we are passing the stopped
    >> vehicles, it is far too close to the lorry, and appears to want to
    >> undertake.

    > I would read that slightly differently - yes, he was way too close to
    > the lorry in front of him, but was just going to pull back over to the
    > left hand lane. Because he couldn't see where he was going, he didn't
    > see the other lorry stopped in the left hand lane until he'd started
    > pulling over, so pulled back out again. Of course, we can't see what
    > happens after - perhaps he tried again and did undertake!

    That's my reading, the car pulled over, intending to go into the left
    hand lane, but because he was a tad too close to the vehicle in front
    his line of sight was not too good, so he pulled back out again.
    Your road positioning was fine (probably more assertive than I would
    have been (that's not a criticism), but I find the speeds on the vid
    difficult to judge).

  6. Martin Dann

    Martin Dann Guest

    Mike the unimaginative wrote:
    > Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in news:46a0631a$0$1616
    > $ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:
    >
    >> Martin Dann said the following on 20/07/2007 01:08:
    >>
    >>> Also note the car in front of me whilst we are passing the stopped
    >>> vehicles, it is far too close to the lorry, and appears to want to
    >>> undertake.

    >> I would read that slightly differently - yes, he was way too close to
    >> the lorry in front of him, but was just going to pull back over to the
    >> left hand lane. Because he couldn't see where he was going, he didn't
    >> see the other lorry stopped in the left hand lane until he'd started
    >> pulling over, so pulled back out again. Of course, we can't see what
    >> happens after - perhaps he tried again and did undertake!

    Moving lorry pulled in quickly after passing the stopped
    lorry. There was a roundabout after the end of the vid. If
    the vid was x meters long, the roundabout was about 2x/3
    meters further. However 95+% of lorrys go straightish-left
    at the roundabout.

    > That's my reading, the car pulled over, intending to go into the left
    > hand lane, but because he was a tad too close to the vehicle in front
    > his line of sight was not too good, so he pulled back out again.
    > Your road positioning was fine (probably more assertive than I would
    > have been (that's not a criticism), but I find the speeds on the vid
    > difficult to judge).

    I was going as fast as I could to maintain the line.
    Needless to say I had to slow down afterwards to get my
    breath back.

    Martin.

  7. coyoteboy

    coyoteboy Guest

    Martin Dann wrote:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuCUDo1ochA
    >
    > Cycle past a car and lorry using the overtaking lane on a dual carriage
    > way.
    >
    > Initially I pulled into a reasonable position to pass the car, expecting
    > to pull in afterwards, but then saw the lorry. You can just see the
    > slight wobble as I start to pull in, then carry on in the overtaking lane.
    > After the car, I was too close to the lane markings.
    >
    > Would adopting a more primary position have encouraged undertaking?
    >
    > Also note the car in front of me whilst we are passing the stopped
    > vehicles, it is far too close to the lorry, and appears to want to
    > undertake.
    >
    > Martin.

    TBH i see nothing wrong on that vid (other than the car wanting to
    undertake the lorry whilst driving up his bum) - I would have done
    exactly the same thing. If someone had tried to undertake me I'd have
    chuckled in their face as they had to stop for the broken down lorry -
    most of the time people can see far enough in advance to see things like
    that when behind a bike.

Share This Page