Jump to content








Photo

small lump inside buttock


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gman0482

gman0482

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

How is everyone?

 

I rescently found a small hard lump deep under my right buttock, almost resting up against the sitz bone.  If I press my fingers into it, I can slightly move it around and almost can pintch it with two fingers.  It's not visible, and not a sore on the skin.  It almost feels like a piece of a bone, but I figured that can't be it.  The pain is mild, and it hurts on the saddle more so at the beginning.  Now that it's winter, I'm on the trainer almost everyday, with no saddle movement, so that can't be good and probably the cause of it.

 

Anyone had this problem before ?

 

Thank you,

-Greg















#2 davereo

davereo

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

I discovered a peanut size lump in almost the same area on my wife a few years back.  It turned out to be a fatty tumor that was removed at the day surgical center.  It was not dangerous but grew at a fairly rapid rate. Pay close attention to it and report your findings to your primary care Physcian. It could turn out to be nothing at all but never take your health for granted.

Dave



#3 tonyzackery

tonyzackery

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Have had the same experience.  Occurred when I was on the trainer for an extended period.  Went away when I altered my saddle tilt upward slightly - moved more of the pressure rearward and off the sit bones just enough.  Give it a try...


Do, or do not - there is no "try".

#4 gman0482

gman0482

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

Thanks guys, Davereo I'll definitely monitor this closely and call my doc if it worsens. 

 

TZ, You're right about the saddle.  I am putting much too much pressure on my sit bones now.  I also think that my saddle Specialized Alias 143 isn't right for me.  I'm trying to find 'the one' but so many out there. 

 

I'm 99.9% sure it's from the trainer, as I'm in full mode now with 2 at times 3 days on 1 off, and at high intensity. 



#5 swampy1970

swampy1970

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Did anyone ever take a minute to think about why 'sitbones' got their name? 

 

The sitbones should 'sit' on the saddle - where the ideal point is depends on their width and your saddles width. If you sit too far forward the sitbones will not receive all the pressure they should and too much weight will be on the penerium - most likely causing pain and/or numbness and sometimes some other weird oddities. Sometimes adding a barely perceptable amount of upward tilt to the nose of the saddle can help greatly.

 

Gman - did you sit on the Specialized "butt-o-meter" when buying your saddle?



#6 gman0482

gman0482

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Well I measured my sitz bone distance with the Specialized gel meter rescently, and I think I would be ok in a 135mm.  I know what I sometimes do during my workouts, is move back/forward to change up position, or depending on my intensity, I'll move to a different position to beter my effort.  It's not good I know, as sometimes I'll be hanging off the back on the edge of the saddle, and especially now, that I gotten used to 100+ rpm at all times.  Also, from having my previous problem with the groin numbness, which is almost non-existant now, I still tend to move around for that reason just out of habit. 

 

The weird thing is that it doesn't really hurt.  I mean I do feel it as a small discomfort right at the beginning, but quickly stop paying attention to it.  It's just weird how it has a hard bone-like feel to it, less than 1/2 inch in diameter, and I can pinch it with my fingers, move it slightly, but almost no pain when I do that.

 

I took 2 days off already, which sucks IMO, and goning to get back on today and see how it goes.  I will lift up the nose a little, and I bid on a couple of nice saddles, Fizik Aliante 135 ,and Selle Italia 131. 

 

Thanks for the help, any other replies would be great.

-Greg   



#7 swampy1970

swampy1970

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:10 PM



Originally Posted by gman0482 View Post

Well I measured my sitz bone distance with the Specialized gel meter rescently, and I think I would be ok in a 135mm.  I know what I sometimes do during my workouts, is move back/forward to change up position, or depending on my intensity, I'll move to a different position to beter my effort.  It's not good I know, as sometimes I'll be hanging off the back on the edge of the saddle, and especially now, that I gotten used to 100+ rpm at all times.  Also, from having my previous problem with the groin numbness, which is almost non-existant now, I still tend to move around for that reason just out of habit. 

 

The weird thing is that it doesn't really hurt.  I mean I do feel it as a small discomfort right at the beginning, but quickly stop paying attention to it.  It's just weird how it has a hard bone-like feel to it, less than 1/2 inch in diameter, and I can pinch it with my fingers, move it slightly, but almost no pain when I do that.

 

I took 2 days off already, which sucks IMO, and goning to get back on today and see how it goes.  I will lift up the nose a little, and I bid on a couple of nice saddles, Fizik Aliante 135 ,and Selle Italia 131. 

 

Thanks for the help, any other replies would be great.

-Greg   



You're assuming it has something to do with the saddle. It might not... That you rarely have numb nuts now makes the case against the saddle somewhat sketchy at best. It sounds like the saddle is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

 

It could be something as dumb sounding as washing detergent not being properly rinsed out of the shorts and you sitting, and riding, more. It could be purely just something that's singled handedly happened because you are training more, sweating lots on the trainer and sitting all of the time. 100rpm for a while and all that weight and movement pressing the sweat into your skin... Just what nature intended. NOT! It could be a minor bacterial infection just waiting to go ape one your a$s - something that might need lancing in a little while. It could always be a tumor or internal anal dingleberry...

 

Until you get it checked out you'll never know.



#8 gman0482

gman0482

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

It's not on or in my skin, not an irritation, sore or infection, or anything like that.  It's deep under the tissue right againt the bone, and hard as the bone itself.  Nothing to do with the skin.  My numbness is a completely separate issue. 

 

Anyways, it went away to almost unnoticeable and I don't feel it anymore at all, thanks to slightly lifting  nose of the saddle (thanks TZ).  Still there, but very very small.  Whats weird, is that I did a hard workout with it being the original size, and after I got off, it was smaller.  I'm still going to check it out with the doc though.

 

So once again looking for a new saddle, as this one is still not the right one, eventhough the width is correct.  All that the butt-o-meter can tell me is the correct width, but it won't find the right saddle for my a$$.  Looking towards a Fizik Antares or Selle SLR.  I have a couple of designs and details I'm looking for and hopefully get the right one. 

 

Thanks,

-Greg



#9 swampy1970

swampy1970

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Personally, if the size of that critter went down and you have a doc visit planned then I'd hold off on buying a new saddle... It sounds like the slight change in saddle position may have helped. Then again it may be coincidence that the lump is smaller now than it was. Until you find out what it really is and how to treat it, it's all going to be a crapshoot that you're gonna throw money at and not know if it's going to be doing any good.

 

But, it's not my money so I'll leave this one with a "good luck" and hope things work out for you.



#10 tonyzackery

tonyzackery

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:15 PM



Originally Posted by gman0482 View Post

It's not on or in my skin, not an irritation, sore or infection, or anything like that.  It's deep under the tissue right againt the bone, and hard as the bone itself.  Nothing to do with the skin.  My numbness is a completely separate issue. 

 

Anyways, it went away to almost unnoticeable and I don't feel it anymore at all, thanks to slightly lifting  nose of the saddle (thanks TZ).  Still there, but very very small.  Whats weird, is that I did a hard workout with it being the original size, and after I got off, it was smaller.  I'm still going to check it out with the doc though.

 

So once again looking for a new saddle, as this one is still not the right one, eventhough the width is correct.  All that the butt-o-meter can tell me is the correct width, but it won't find the right saddle for my a$$.  Looking towards a Fizik Antares or Selle SLR.  I have a couple of designs and details I'm looking for and hopefully get the right one. 

 

Thanks,

-Greg



Good to hear things are working out - literally and figuratively.

Along with saddle tilt, a slight fore/aft adjustment can also work wonders when one is have a PITA...


Do, or do not - there is no "try".

#11 swampy1970

swampy1970

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

The mayor called - he's looking for missing telephone poles and rumour has it there's one being used as gman's seatpost...

 

What size of frame are you using, Gman? 



#12 gman0482

gman0482

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

LOL, I got a 61cm frame (which I know it's at least 1cm too small), and my seat post needs an upgrade.  I got a 330mm post, that's maxed out.  I'll probably grab an EC70 400mm post. 

 

With my new Quarq, the SRAM cranks will be 2.5mm longer @ 177.5, so that's a plus I guess.   I also just got a nice used-but-brand-new Fizik Aliante, which seems nice at the moment (on the trainer mind you).



#13 swampy1970

swampy1970

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:05 PM



Originally Posted by gman0482 View Post

LOL, I got a 61cm frame (which I know it's at least 1cm too small), and my seat post needs an upgrade.  I got a 330mm post, that's maxed out.  I'll probably grab an EC70 400mm post. 

 

With my new Quarq, the SRAM cranks will be 2.5mm longer @ 177.5, so that's a plus I guess.   I also just got a nice used-but-brand-new Fizik Aliante, which seems nice at the moment (on the trainer mind you).

 

It could be a plus, or if you have the flexibility of a lump of granite it could be a minus as the pedal is now coming up an effective 5mm more...

 

Hopefully it works out well for you.

 



#14 gman0482

gman0482

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:50 AM



Originally Posted by swampy1970 View Post



 

It could be a plus, or if you have the flexibility of a lump of granite it could be a minus as the pedal is now coming up an effective 5mm more...

 

Hopefully it works out well for you.

 

 

Yea I think I can flex that much extra, but it would also only be coming up 2.5mm higher.   

 



 



#15 skcyclist

skcyclist

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

I recently got one on the right side due to improper seating position.  I was sitting in the right "groove" instead of centered on the sit bones, where there is less flesh to injure.  When I am centered, though there is less flesh to cushion, there seems to be a better distribution of weight. My dermatologist prescrbed Cordran Tape, steroid infused, but it so far has done nothing to improve the condition.  Yesterday, I drove quite a distance in a car, and the lump doubled or tripled in size.  And once there is a lump, the bigger it gets the more aggravated to sit on.  The vicious circle effect. If I sit centered on the saddle and avoid sitting for long periods of time, maybe I can get this under control.  Hate the thought of not riding at all.  Doc said I could get a steroid shot, but I'm not anxious to get that done.  Trying aspirin and cold packs to see if that helps. It has shrunk, but when irritated it swells up again.  Good luck all. Steve



#16 skcyclist

skcyclist

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

I saw another Dermatologist.  This one took a look and determined it was a sebacious cyst. The previous Dermatologist had rx'd steroid treated tape, but that didn't appear to do anything.  This Dr. gave me a steroid shot right there and it already seems to be shrinking and is less painful. She said it would take a month to go away.  If it doesn't, plan B may be to drain or remove it.  Both dermatologist opined that these cysts are not uncommon among cyclists.  If you have lump and it doesn't go away fairly quickly, see a Dr.



#17 skcyclist

skcyclist

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

I've made an earlier re lump near right sit bone.  Since then I've seen two other dermatologists and a GP.  The GP didn't know what it was and the second dermatologist gave me a cortisone shot. The shot seemed to work for a couple weeks, then the lump got worse.  So dermatologist 3 who said the tape was useless, the shot was a nice try but didn't work, so he's got me taking an antibiotic and has recommended less riding for awhile.  I tell you, the state of the medical profession is less than stellar.  Don't be afraid to get multiple opinions if things aren't working out.  Do your own research as well. 



#18 swampy1970

swampy1970

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:07 AM



Originally Posted by gman0482 View Post



 

Yea I think I can flex that much extra, but it would also only be coming up 2.5mm higher.   

 



 


All things being equal, you'd normally have to drop the saddle to compensate for the longer crank. 2.5mm doesn't sound like much but if you're in the right ballpark as it is then it could be just enough to give you oddball lower back pain or tenderness behind the knees. You might not even notice it until you do longer rides that are pretty hard...

 

If you end up dropping the saddle 2.5mm, combined with the extra 2.5mm of crank length then it's an effective 5mm going over top dead center...
 

 

 



#19 pat0482

pat0482

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

That was long ago you posted these comments.  As I have found myself similarly afflicted, have you resolved your issue?






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users