18 replies to this topic

#1 64Paramount

64Paramount

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

We're having our first snow of the season today (Saturday) and where we live it was predicted that we'd probably only get a dusting, maybe 1 inch tops through tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

It's about 4:15PM Saturday and so far we have 3+ inches on the ground and while it does look very pretty, I can't say I'm very happy to see it.

It could be worse I suppose, last year at this time we had 8+ inches on the ground....

Sometimes you may have to look very close to see it, but a measure of grace exists within us all..

#2 davereo

davereo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

I'm ready for it over here but we been having a steady diet of warm fronts keeping the snow away.  This has been the mildest fall I can remember. Other areas in the region have gotten a fair amount of snow but we have been spared here.

Hopefully your dusting will melt away quickly so you can prolong your riding season. 

#3 limerickman

limerickman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15,908 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

It's a bugger when the snow hits alright.

So far we've been pretty lucky this winter so far. Temperatures are still in the 10-15 celsius range despite GMT daylight savings hours starting three weeks ago.

That's effectively three weeks off our winter thankfully.

Just happy to be here.

#4 maydog

maydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

Time to dust off the ol mountain bike. I rigged up a tow rope to put on the seat post and towed my 3 kids around the neighborhood on a sled for a half hour. Its great resistance training and they love it.

#5 jhuskey

jhuskey

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9,512 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

I been lucky so far. We have had some snow in the higher elevations but the weekends have been reasonable for training.

I just ordered one of those Proform TDF trainers in anticipation of bad weather and yes it does get too bad to ride outside. I will review it when I have tested it out for a while. 

Do not worry about old age, it doesn't last that long.

#6 64Paramount

64Paramount

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by maydog View Post

Time to dust off the ol mountain bike. I rigged up a tow rope to put on the seat post and towed my 3 kids around the neighborhood on a sled for a half hour. Its great resistance training and they love it.

Wow, I bet that is a good workout!

Sometimes you may have to look very close to see it, but a measure of grace exists within us all..

#7 sitzmark

sitzmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

We had a late October snow ("Octostorm") in New England with 4"-24" of snow depending depending on location, then a quick warm up.  Set out on a 90 mile group ride Nov 6 with a morning temp of 36*F and a mid day high of 55*F.  What perfect riding conditions!!    No need for cold weather gear, lots of color change in the trees, sunny day, a climb to a "mountain" (Wachusett) summit at the mid point of the ride, and great company.  As we climbed above 1,000 feet, we ran into some of the leftover snow from Octostorm.   Was able to ride a black ribbon of melted snow through some large snow patches and had to put a foot down and push through others.  Just a great day.

image 13.jpg

#8 Myosmith

Myosmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

We've been extremely lucky for NW Minnesota this year. Only a couple of dustings so far and well above seasonal average temps most of the time. I've been getting in 10-15 miles a day lately. Sounds like we are going to get our first shovelable snow over the next few days but I'm hoping the roads will stay clear enough so that I can keep riding. I suspect that I won't be able to ride local roads much longer as I'm in a rural area and the roads tend to get very rough and icy mid-winter.

#9 64Paramount

64Paramount

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post

We've been extremely lucky for NW Minnesota this year. Only a couple of dustings so far and well above seasonal average temps most of the time. I've been getting in 10-15 miles a day lately. Sounds like we are going to get our first shovelable snow over the next few days but I'm hoping the roads will stay clear enough so that I can keep riding. I suspect that I won't be able to ride local roads much longer as I'm in a rural area and the roads tend to get very rough and icy mid-winter.

Well, I hope your luck continues and you'lll be able to do so more riding this year.

Has it been really dry up there this Fall?

We're officially in drought conditions down here in the Twin Cities....

#10 colen219

colen219

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Merry christmas everybody!

#11 saints alive ?

saints alive ?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:47 AM

we been lucky this time last year we were snowed in

#12 davereo

davereo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

147.JPG

1/1/2011   leftovers from 12/26 blizzard.  So far this year we have had no snow fall at all. Great year for riding I logged 360 miles out on the roads this past December most ever.   

#13 jhuskey

jhuskey

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9,512 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Expecting snow tonight. Finally will get to ski. 

Do not worry about old age, it doesn't last that long.

#14 alienator

alienator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

When I talked to my daughter and wife tonight, they said they had 4 inches on the farm, with the snow continuing to fall unabated.  They're expecting snow for another two days.

Here?  Nada.  We're supposed to have temps in the 70's for the next week, but there is snow on top of Mt Lemmon.  While we might not get snow in town this year, we did finish off 2011 w/ more rain than the average yearly rainfall, something that hasn't happened since 1997.  Woo hoo!

You're so fetching when you're down on all fours.
..............................-David St. Hubbins

#15 maydog

maydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Still no significant accumulations of snow / ice on the roads in central Minnesota. I was able to put good rides in on the 30 and 31st of december and the past weekend. I only encountered one icy, snow packed downhill on a short shaded section of closed road near a golf course; I let the bike go where it wanted and I managed to stay upright. The rest of the roads are dry.

The temperature was 50+ yesterday and looks to be the same today.

Perhaps we will be punished soon?

#16 64Paramount

64Paramount

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

We have zero snow on the ground in the Twin cities (I think we've had 9 inches fall so far, but it's melted) and have had a couple of record breaking high temps in the past week. Supposed to have snow showers the next couple of days, but no significant accumulation.

But, the temp is supposed to dive below normal starting tomorrow and that's going to feel really cold since it's been so abnormally warm.

Last year we had over 50 inches on the ground by now and ended up with 76 inches total I think.

As I'm typing this I can see three of my neighbors standing outside in their shirt sleeves having a discussion about something, it's close to 50 degrees and it feels almost balmy.

#17 davereo

davereo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Same here in Southern New England. Zero inches of snow on the South Coast of Ma so far this year. Last year 2 major blizzards already at this time.

#18 limerickman

limerickman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15,908 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 64Paramount View Post

We have zero snow on the ground in the Twin cities (I think we've had 9 inches fall so far, but it's melted) and have had a couple of record breaking high temps in the past week. Supposed to have snow showers the next couple of days, but no significant accumulation.

But, the temp is supposed to dive below normal starting tomorrow and that's going to feel really cold since it's been so abnormally warm.

Last year we had over 50 inches on the ground by now and ended up with 76 inches total I think.

As I'm typing this I can see three of my neighbors standing outside in their shirt sleeves having a discussion about something, it's close to 50 degrees and it feels almost balmy.

Yes, it's been a very mild winter here on the west coast of Ireland.

12 celsius today.

This time last year it was -12 celsius which is freezing by our standards.

Winter training is going well because of the benign weather.

Just happy to be here.

#19 garyf

garyf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

I wish we could have some of your snow.  We're deprived of it in London and the home counties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users