Chain Chatter

I recently had a chain, cassette and chain rings replaced. All new
parts were supposed to be of the same specs as those being replaced.

Now, however, the chain will not ride on two of the inner sprockets
without chattering or completely skipping those two sprockets.
Sometimes trimming a little helps, sometimes not.

The limit screws are properly set, and the tension in the cable seems
to work fine for all shifts except to those cogs. I made sure there
were no stiff links and even installed a new rear derailleur cable, but
nothing seems to help.

Any thoughts on the probable cause?

John

In article
<[email protected]>,

> I recently had a chain, cassette and chain rings replaced. All new
> parts were supposed to be of the same specs as those being replaced.
>
> Now, however, the chain will not ride on two of the inner sprockets
> without chattering or completely skipping those two sprockets.
> Sometimes trimming a little helps, sometimes not.
>
> The limit screws are properly set, and the tension in the cable seems
> to work fine for all shifts except to those cogs. I made sure there
> were no stiff links and even installed a new rear derailleur cable, but
> nothing seems to help.
>
> Any thoughts on the probable cause?

Chain too short?
Derailleur B screw adjustment?
Derailleur cage misalignment or jockey wheel slop?

--
Michael Press

If the chain shifts onto the largest an smallest cogs fine and doesn't
over shift, the limit screws are fine. you say it's just the middle two
cogs and the rest are fine?

Werll, here are my guesses. Has the cassette been disassembled at ant
time? The spacers might be the wrong size, there might be foreign matter
(grit) between one of the parts, or those cogs might be the wrong type,
or worn.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

[email protected] wrote:
> I recently had a chain, cassette and chain rings replaced. All new
> parts were supposed to be of the same specs as those being replaced.
>
> Now, however, the chain will not ride on two of the inner sprockets
> without chattering or completely skipping those two sprockets.
> Sometimes trimming a little helps, sometimes not.
>
> The limit screws are properly set, and the tension in the cable seems
> to work fine for all shifts except to those cogs. I made sure there
> were no stiff links and even installed a new rear derailleur cable, but
> nothing seems to help.
>
> Any thoughts on the probable cause?
>
> John

Campy? If it is, check the chain length, and if that is good, then it
is B screw. Had the exact same problem. After checking that my
current chain would work with my 13/29 and adjusting the B screw, I
forgot to return it to its original position with the 13/26.

Could also happen with shimano, but I have limited experience there.

D'ohBoy