HPV Land Speed Records in Oz?

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
Whilst looking for a cycling event I'd be good at (road, no hills, no corners :))
I found the site below. Does anyone have any further knowledge of record
attempts in Oz? I know there is a lot (relatively) of action in the 'states but
not so much here. I thought our trackies might want to give something like
this a shot?

http://www.ozhpv.org.au/speedrecord.htm

hippy

hippy said:
Whilst looking for a cycling event I'd be good at (road, no hills, no corners :))
I found the site below. Does anyone have any further knowledge of record
attempts in Oz? I know there is a lot (relatively) of action in the 'states but
not so much here. I thought our trackies might want to give something like
this a shot?

http://www.ozhpv.org.au/speedrecord.htm

hippy

Steele Bishop and Lachlan Thompson's attempt in 1984 at 78kmh is about as good as Aussies have done to date.
http://www.ozhpv.org.au/images/aero3.jpg
http://www.ozhpv.org.au/images/aero2.jpg
http://www.ozhpv.org.au/images/aero1.jpg

Well below the record held by Sam Whittingham from Canada at 128.9kmh
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/speedchallenge-2004.htm

Finding a suitable length of road is one of the problems.
We've got a long way to go in Oz.
There are plenty of skilled HPV builders in Australia.
Some fit riders, used to riding in the recumbent position are what is required.

Pete
OzHPV Canberra

hippy said:
Whilst looking for a cycling event I'd be good at (road, no hills, no corners :))
I found the site below. Does anyone have any further knowledge of record
attempts in Oz? I know there is a lot (relatively) of action in the 'states but
not so much here. I thought our trackies might want to give something like
this a shot?

http://www.ozhpv.org.au/speedrecord.htm

hippy

The VicHPV guys run races etc a few times a year.
See - http://home.vicnet.net.au/~vichpv/ I've been there on my 'upright' & chased some bents, lotsa fun. :)
The bent scene can be a bit 'wooly sock' rather than aero-advantage-speed-record. :p

Bikesoiler said:
The VicHPV guys run races etc a few times a year.
See - http://home.vicnet.net.au/~vichpv/ I've been there on my 'upright' & chased some bents, lotsa fun. :)
The bent scene can be a bit 'wooly sock' rather than aero-advantage-speed-record. :p

do the wooly socks come with the 'bents? ;)

didnt that english olympic champ (Sydney2000) guy try and beat the landspeed record in a fully faired number recently...

>Poiter
>Finding a suitable length of road is one of the problems.

Any suggestions people? Melbourne preferably..

>There are plenty of skilled HPV builders in Australia.

Suzyj wanna add a land speed record breaking 'bent to your "To Build" list?

>Some fit riders, used to riding in the recumbent position are what is required.

Yes, specificity is a key component to training (that's why I ride so many
different bikes! Doh! :) ).
Will a fast wedgie rider make a fast bent rider?
Any idea how long the adaptation takes?

BikeSoiler: Do they have to be WOOL!?!
Q-Bert says "Makin' me itch.. i.. i.. itch.. making me itch.. makin'.. makin'.. makin' me itch..ii.. itch"

Reckon I could just get away with a pocket calculator, pant clips and
rearview mirrors taped to my glasses?

hippy

flyingdutch said:
do the wooly socks come with the 'bents? ;)

didnt that english olympic champ (Sydney2000) guy try and beat the landspeed record in a fully faired number recently...

If you mean Jason Quealy, it was the Blue Yonder team.
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2001/Blue_Yonder_Team.htm
Their hi tech effort at Battle Mountain in 2001 was just too heavy and big, which proves that computers are not always right!

Don't tag every 'bent rider by a couple of wooly socks and cardigan elbow patches. They might be the only ones you have ever caught up to.

Pete

Poiter said:
If you mean Jason Quealy, it was the Blue Yonder team.
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2001/Blue_Yonder_Team.htm
Their hi tech effort at Battle Mountain in 2001 was just too heavy and big, which proves that computers are not always right!

Don't tag every 'bent rider by a couple of wooly socks and cardigan elbow patches. They might be the only ones you have ever caught up to.

Touche! ;)

http://www.speed101.com has lots more speed record stuff..

I reckon setting a new Aussie speed record would be a fun thing to do..
Anyone wanna build me a super aero bent? :)

hippy

hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Yes, specificity is a key component to training (that's why I ride so
> many
> different bikes! Doh! :) ).
> Will a fast wedgie rider make a fast bent rider?

Generally, yes.

> Any idea how long the adaptation takes?

Took me about 6 months of irregular riding. But peak performance
seems to come from not riding a wedgie at all, spending all riding
time on the recumbent.

Check this out:

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/images...pg?PHPSESSID=f4334ac10c86ad26474b8139292108cb

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/main.p...Mo&PHPSESSID=f4334ac10c86ad26474b8139292108cb

Flying furniture is supplying me one of these for my new touring
stead.
Means I have to sell my SWB touring recumbent built by Mr Wayne
Kotzur.

Anyone out there want to buy a touring recumbent?? (Hippy?? - Carn
another bike won't hurt... Just a teeny weeny wafer... :)

The Kotzur took me to 101km/h fully touring loaded in Tassie. Stable
and overtaking cars/trucks. Wicked. When loaded right the faster it
goes the more solid it feels.

Tom
(Who is dreaming of the endless tour, from sweaty Singapore.)