correct pressure?

Red_74

Guest
Hi there!

I've always been using mountain bikes, but recently I've enjoyed my first
racing bike, for faster commuting. The (slick) tires are very thin, ca.
1inch, and I have no idea what is the reasonable pressure for them. I pumped
them up as much as I could, and riding is great. I'm only not sure whether
it is safe enough or not, especially in the rain (are the slicks ok in the
rain at all?), the grip is far worse than what I'm used to in my mntn
bike...

any clues highly appreciated,

--
cheers! Red
http://linx.by/red_74

Red_74 wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've always been using mountain bikes, but recently I've enjoyed my
> first racing bike, for faster commuting. The (slick) tires are very
> thin, ca. 1inch, and I have no idea what is the reasonable pressure
> for them. I pumped them up as much as I could, and riding is great.
> I'm only not sure whether it is safe enough or not, especially in the
> rain (are the slicks ok in the rain at all?), the grip is far worse
> than what I'm used to in my mntn bike...
>
> any clues highly appreciated,

The recommended pressure can usually be read on the tire itself if you look
closely. Anywhere between 80 -140 psi depending on what kind of tire you
have. The thinner the tire the higher the pressure.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:r432d.103435$dP1.372281
@newsc.telia.net:
> The recommended pressure can usually be read on the tire itself if you look
> closely. Anywhere between 80 -140 psi depending on what kind of tire you
> have. The thinner the tire the higher the pressure.

That is the maximum pressure, not the "recommended" pressure. Using the
maximum on any roads that aren't perfectly smooth will give you a harsh ride
and more flats. Here's are a couple of articles on "recommended" tire
pressures:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/UArant.htm
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

"Red_74" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi there!
>
> I've always been using mountain bikes, but recently I've enjoyed my first
> racing bike, for faster commuting. The (slick) tires are very thin, ca.
> 1inch, and I have no idea what is the reasonable pressure for them. I pumped
> them up as much as I could, and riding is great. I'm only not sure whether
> it is safe enough or not, especially in the rain (are the slicks ok in the
> rain at all?), the grip is far worse than what I'm used to in my mntn
> bike...
>
> any clues highly appreciated,

Slicks will give as good of traction in the rain, on pavement, as any
bike tire with a tread. This is because of the small footprint or
patch on the road surface. Manufactures put a tread on most road tires
because people (customers) think it needs it, not because it does need
it.

Ken wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:r432d.103435$dP1.372281 @newsc.telia.net:
>> The recommended pressure can usually be read on the tire itself if
>> you look closely. Anywhere between 80 -140 psi depending on what
>> kind of tire you have. The thinner the tire the higher the pressure.

> That is the maximum pressure, not the "recommended" pressure. Using
> the maximum on any roads that aren't perfectly smooth will give you a
> harsh ride and more flats. Here's are a couple of articles on
> "recommended" tire pressures:
> http://www.roadbikerider.com/UArant.htm
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

Some tires are marked with a Min and Max pressure, others are marked with a
recommended pressure.
Using the maximum on roads that are perfectly smooth will give you a faster
ride and fewer pinch flats.

--
Perre

Red_74 wrote:
> Thanks for the hints and links, guys. The numbers on the (Michelin)
> tire are almost invisible though.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I have to wet the tire turn it
towards the sun and use a magnifying glass.
--
Perre