Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a ballpoint pen

Firewalker wrote:

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?

> Hmmmm. I think I'll be changing my bike lock. No wonder so many bikes
> are
> stolen. You think you're safe. Does the insurance kick in for these
> types of thefts???
>
> Has anyone sent these to the manufacturer(s) yet? (Then again, they've
> probably already seen them)

The insurance does NOT kick in for these types of thefts. Kryptonite
guarantees against forceful breaking of their locks, and only then if you
have the lock remains and the police report to prove it.

Kryptonite has upgraded their EV disc lock to be supposedly immune to this
type of picking.

John M

MattB wrote:

> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?

> I think it's a good idea to have a townie.
>
> Matt

Amen. I had my GT Zaskar stolen this very way, I 'spect. Having a townie
is the only rational idea. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred
times: if you care about your bike, you will not let it out of your sight.

John M

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>>> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this?

>> I think it's a good idea to have a townie.
>>
>> Matt

> Amen. I had my GT Zaskar stolen this very way, I 'spect. Having a townie
> is the only rational idea. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred
> times: if you care about your bike, you will not let it out of your sight.
>
> John M

It's a sad statement on society today. There are FAR too many scumbags. If
it's not your, don't touch it!

--

I want a cross made out of kryptonite, so whether it's Dracula or Superman,
I'm prepared.

> Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple
> of seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
> beginning.
>
> It just can't be!

It sure can. Since the lock cylinder can simply be rotated instead of raked
like in a traditional lock, it doesn't even seem like there needs to be much
skill to open it. Did you read anything on the forum? It's reportedly been
reproduced.

I'm going to try it on Kryptonite once I find an appropriate pen. I will
post results here. In the meantime, I'll be using my traditional-key cable
lock and taking my road bike to class.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

There is plenty of manufacturers making bicycle locks. If Kryptonite
doesn't make a reliable one, someone does... or will. If the marketplace
demands locks that can not be picked by stinking ballpoint pens then we will
get them.

That's the only thought I have. ~BURP~

Dave

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:05:31 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple
>> of seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
>> beginning.
>>
>> It just can't be!

> It sure can. Since the lock cylinder can simply be rotated instead of
> raked
> like in a traditional lock, it doesn't even seem like there needs to be
> much
> skill to open it. Did you read anything on the forum? It's reportedly
> been
> reproduced.

Naw, but I'll check it out.

> I'm going to try it on Kryptonite once I find an appropriate pen. I will
> post results here. --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Cool.

--
Slacker

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:22:50 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the beginning.

It just can't be!
--
Slacker

Its real, seen it with my own eyes - and did it once. Granted, same lock,
another lock I looked at (on a friend's bike) didn't seem to work - the
inner cylinder was too big. If I find a pen with the right diameter though
I'm sure I could do it no problem.

Jon "Hmm, now would be a good time to get into bike theft for some spare
cash" Bond

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:16:31 -0400, Jon Bond
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:22:50 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
>>

> Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
> seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
> beginning.
>
> It just can't be!

Its real, seen it with my own eyes - and did it once.
Granted, same lock,
another lock I looked at (on a friend's bike) didn't seem to
work - the
inner cylinder was too big. If I find a pen with the right
diameter though
I'm sure I could do it no problem.

Jon "Hmm, now would be a good time to get into bike theft
for some spare
cash" Bond

That's so insane. Do these
http://www.atvillustrated.com/product_reviews/kryptonite/images/chainb.jpg
suffer from the same problem?

Guess it's time to finally get off my ass and get that renter's ins.
--
Slacker

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:22:50 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
>>

> Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
> seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
> beginning.
>
> It just can't be!

Its real, seen it with my own eyes - and did it once.
Granted, same lock,
another lock I looked at (on a friend's bike) didn't seem to
work - the
inner cylinder was too big. If I find a pen with the right
diameter though
I'm sure I could do it no problem.

Jon "Hmm, now would be a good time to get into bike theft
for some spare
cash" Bond

That's so insane. Do these
http://www.atvillustrated.com/product_reviews/kryptonite/images/chainb.jpg
suffer from the same problem?

Guess it's time to finally get off my ass and get that renter's ins.
--
Slacker

Circular key - so probably.

The NY 3000 U locks have a bladed key, so they're immune. I think a few of
the new york disc locks (which is the kind of lock there, they're designed
for motorcycle disc brakes) have the same bladed key.

Anything with a circular key is gonna be vulnerable to this method (if not
the bic pen, a properly sized tube)! Be careful out there!

Jon

In article <opsed9myxpm83lxu@slacker>, [email protected] says...
> Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
> seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the beginning.
>
> It just can't be!

I tried this on my Kryptonite Evo 2000. Took about 1 minute the first
time, about 15 seconds for anytime after that.

I'll never use anything with a round key on my bike again.

Bruce