KH 20 / KH 24 hub moving?

corbin

Guest
Howdy all,
I just got my new KH 20. I noticed that the hub seems to have some play.
If I turn the unicycle up side down, I can move both cranks at the same
time, just slightly. When I ride it, I can somtimes feel it move just
slightly.

Is this to be of concern? I've tried tightening most things to be fairly
tight; except the piece that holds the frame to the hub; According to
the directions, this should never be over tightened.

any advice?

thanks,
corbin

--
corbin - Treehouse Muni Rider
corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561

hmm...i dont' really want to tab the axle. is it going to hurt anything
to not do anything about it? should i try and see if unicycle.com will
take it back and give me a better one?

thanks!

--
corbin - Treehouse Muni Rider

<a
href="http://www.corbinstreehouse.com">http://www.corbinstreehouse.com</a>
corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561

Hub slop has been a problem with the recent batch of KH unicycles.
There seems to have been some quality control problems on that batch.

You've got three choices
1) Contact Unicycle.com and find out if they will replace or repair the
wheel
2) Send the wheel to Darren Bedford to fix
3) Fix it yourself

You can find out about sending it back to Unicycle.com, but you'll end
up with some down time as you're waiting for things to ship back and
forth.

Darren Bedford has fixed a bunch of KH hubs. I'm sure he can fix yours
if you send it to him. But again, you'll end up with some down time as
you're waiting for things to ship back and forth.

You can fix it yourself. It isn't hard to do. A little JB Weld epoxy
will fix it. Or Darren Bedford may know of something other than epoxy
that will work better.

I recently fixed my Profile hub. It was experiencing axle slop. The
Profile is similar to, but not the same as the KH hub. They both have
an axle press fit in the hub body. The Profile uses a single keyway and
two Woodruff keys. The KH uses six keyways and a splined axle. Steve
Howard put up a gallery of a 'Dissected KH Hub'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/KH_hub)

I just made a gallery of my 'Dissected Profile Hub'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Profile_hub) along with a description of
the repair process.

The repair process isn't all that hard, but it does require some special
tools. If I had a KH hub with slop I'd fix it myself rather than
sending it back.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

iamthewaltrus wrote:
> *Thanks for the info John, I was able to fix my hub today and it feels
> fantastic. Very easy to do. *

Did you epoxy it?
Keep us all updated if the fix doesn't hold up. I'm curious how this
epoxy fix holds up long term for the Profile hub and KH hub.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Hi John (and others),
I'm going to mail the wheel back to unicycle.com; they said they would
fix it. Sigh....i'll just have to ride my 24 for a while!

My 24 was moving a little too, but my hub was just a little loose.
Tightening it solved that problem.

thanks all!

corbin