Tri-bike or regular old road frame?

onyrlft

Nov 22, 2004
I used to ride upwards of a 1000 miles a month on a very light Cannondale in my younger days, but I've been out of the saddle for a while. I want to get back in, but I am considering a triathalon bike. I've never owned or ridden one. What things should I consider before commiting to this style of bike, or should I jst go with a more standard frame? My spouse will not permit me to buy a second bike if the first does not work out...

Thanks

onyrlft said:
I used to ride upwards of a 1000 miles a month on a very light Cannondale in my younger days, but I've been out of the saddle for a while. I want to get back in, but I am considering a triathalon bike. I've never owned or ridden one. What things should I consider before commiting to this style of bike, or should I jst go with a more standard frame? My spouse will not permit me to buy a second bike if the first does not work out...

Thanks

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm certain they will regardless, but I believe that tri bikes generally have stiffer and more aerodynamic frames. Both factors are intended to make up for the loss of aerodynamic efficiency you get in a pace line. You aren't allowed to draft in a tri so in order to save as much energy as possible while attainig high speeds they make them very stiff. The ride would be harsher and there are some differences in geometry such as a more aero riding position (flat) that many would probably find uncomfortable for any length of time. I believe that a road bike is a much better all around bike. Unless you are a very serious TT rider or Tri rider then I don't think it would be a good fit.

If I could only have one bike, I'd stay with a road bike. The tri bike will be a bit limiting on hard climbs, since they are really designed to get you down low and positioned forward for fast flat rides. I ride a road frame with clip on aero bars when I race triathlons. On many of our club rides, the guys with tri specific bikes are usually hurting on the major climbs.

Thanks for the comments. The tri bike I'm lookig at is a good deal, especially since it has speedplay pedals, but I think you might be right about the hills. I used to ride to climb, and I happen to live at the bottom of a seven mile hill with an 1800 ft gain (very fun return). A stiff frame is not a big deal. My old Cannondale (where ever it is now - I hope the thief got a good deal) was pretty rigid, but I forgave ther stiff ride over the lack of weight in the bike.