Way OT: PBS Show 'The 60's Experience'

jmcquown

Guest
I got email from my friend Scott McKenzie (of the song 'San Francisco' fame)
yesterday. He recently did a show for PBS which is airing all this month.
He wrote:

"I did participate in another PBS fundraiser concert that's being telecast
this month on most of the local PBS affiliates, called "The 60's
Experience", which has some great vintage footage, as well as present-day
performances by John Kay, Eric Burden and Roger McGuinn, among others ...

Some of the stations have included another song I sang, called "We've Been
Asking Questions".

John Phillips wrote this song when his youngest son was old enough to go to
war, and the whole world knew that war was inevitable. John and I were
going to record it, but never got around to it in time. March 18 was the
fourth anniversary of John's death."

I checked the PBS listings and this show airs tonight (locally) at 8:00 and
several more times before the end of the month. If you like the music, you
might want to look up the show times in your area.

OB Food: He made corned beef & cabbage for St. Patrick's day. His cat
loved the corned beef but turned up his whiskers at cabbage.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

On 2005-03-21, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> I checked the PBS listings and this show airs tonight (locally) at 8:00 and
> several more times before the end of the month.

Yeah, it ran for the first time last night here in the SFBA. I missed
it because something better was on. Not to worry. It's on right now
(again!). They'll be running it every pledge break (what's the
frequency of those, now? ...every 6 weeks?) for the next two years.
Plus, we have 3 PBS stations here. Within the next month I'll spend
more time trying to avoid it than I did actually watching it.

It's become painfully clear that PBS has discovered the key to milking
baby boomers for donations, and geezer rock is that key. I just hope
some of these groups have a little self respect and don't go out on a
pitiful Perry Como note. I'd much prefer they come up with program of
old original tv/concert footage than drag out the these admittedly
great, but now dinosaur artists.

On 2005-03-21, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> pitiful Perry Como note. I'd much prefer they come up with program of
> old original tv/concert footage than drag out the these admittedly
> great, but now dinosaur artists.

OOPS!!....

Guess I shoulda watched a little of this one first. Lots of original
performance footage.

nb ...picking teeth after meal of filet of Vibram(TM)....

ps: John Kay looking good after all these years

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:55:23 -0600, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I got email from my friend Scott McKenzie (of the song 'San Francisco' fame)
>yesterday. He recently did a show for PBS which is airing all this month.
>He wrote:
>
>"I did participate in another PBS fundraiser concert that's being telecast
>this month on most of the local PBS affiliates, called "The 60's
>Experience", which has some great vintage footage, as well as present-day
>performances by John Kay, Eric Burden and Roger McGuinn, among others ...
>
>Some of the stations have included another song I sang, called "We've Been
>Asking Questions".
>
>John Phillips wrote this song when his youngest son was old enough to go to
>war, and the whole world knew that war was inevitable. John and I were
>going to record it, but never got around to it in time. March 18 was the
>fourth anniversary of John's death."

Here's a little trivia about Scott McKenzie and John Phillips. On
January 28, 1986 my wife and I had tickets to see the San Francisco
local morning show, "Good Morning San Francisco" on KGO TV-7. The
hosts were Fred LaCross and Terry Lowrey. That particular morning,
Scott McKenzie and John Phillips were guests on the show.

The show was due to go on live, but as fate would have it, the show
didn't. My wife and I were sitting in the audience waiting room,
watching the ABC network feed before the audience was to be seated in
the live studio to see the show. That morning the Space Shuttle
Challenger was launched with the school teacher on board. It didn't
make it to orbit and the show we were in the audience for never made
it on the air. They went ahead and taped the show and it was shown
several weeks later. We did get to hear Scott McKenzie sing "San
Francisco" live, however.

Rusty
Sacramento, CA

jmcquown wrote:

> I got email from my friend Scott McKenzie (of the song 'San Francisco'

fame)
> yesterday. He recently did a show for PBS which is airing all this month.

Wow! Funny thing, Jill....

The jukebox at our fave corner bar has Scott's song _San Francisco_ (it's
#7001), it's a fave song that one of my best friends always plays when we
are there...played it Saturday in fact.

--
Best
Greg

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-03-21, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> pitiful Perry Como note. I'd much prefer they come up with program
>> of old original tv/concert footage than drag out the these admittedly
>> great, but now dinosaur artists.

> OOPS!!....
>
> Guess I shoulda watched a little of this one first. Lots of original
> performance footage.
>
> nb ...picking teeth after meal of filet of Vibram(TM)....
>
> ps: John Kay looking good after all these years

Yup... some of them look (and perform) pretty well after all these years.
Of course, the rest of them are dead. Oh well.

Jill

On 2005-03-21, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yup... some of them look (and perform) pretty well after all these years.
> Of course, the rest of them are dead. Oh well.

I still couldn't finish watching the whole thing. Hell, 15 mins of music and 20-25
mins of sniveling for donations. Screw that ****. I just turned it
off and put on my old lp's.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-03-21, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yup... some of them look (and perform) pretty well after all these
>> years.
>> Of course, the rest of them are dead. Oh well.

> I still couldn't finish watching the whole thing. Hell, 15 mins of
> music and 20-25 mins of sniveling for donations. Screw that ****. I
> just turned it
> off and put on my old lp's.

True enough... I hate the sniveling begging for money thing. But I told
Scott I'd watch so... (sigh)

Jill

AlleyGator wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
> they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
> can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's? Well
that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime with a nice
shitake mushroom soup ;)

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

>AlleyGator wrote:
>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
>> they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
>> can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

>Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's? Well
>that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime with a nice
>shitake mushroom soup ;)
>
>Jill

Gimme a break, eh? Just because I missed part of it, doesn't mean I
didn't enjoy it. And, BTW, neither of my kids has 2 heads or anything
like that. Although, I would highly discourage anyone else - "don't
try this at home". I am home for the second day, barfing like a
sea-slug. Which reminided me of the wonderful mushroom experience.
Oh, and thanks for the "dayum" to add to my list of memorabilia -
that's a new one - the south WILL rise again? At one point in my life
I dated a girl from Austin - I think I learned a whole new language
while we were together. Forgive me, I'm sick. ughh.

news:vWR%[email protected]...
> AlleyGator wrote:
>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
>> they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
>> can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

> Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's?

You know the saying ... if you remember the 60s, you weren't there?
Sounds like gator was there.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>You know the saying ... if you remember the 60s, you weren't there?
>Sounds like gator was there.

Unfortunately, Nancy I was truly "there". And, sadly, that's why my
double major in Chemistry and Psych, with the minor in Biology that
was supposed to send me to med school was a waste of my parents money
(which I'm still paying back to my mother, by the way). Private
schools are a terrible waste of cash - Oh, wait a minute - it was MY
fault, not theirs. And there was that terrible "Disciplinary board of
Review" thing - Jeez, you would think no one ever heard dynamite
before. BTW, did you know that if you're tight with the head lab
assistant, you can leave cider under your counter for a long time, and
then sneak into the science bldg after midnight and distill your own
hooch? Nasty stuff, BTW.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's? Well
>that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime with a nice
>shitake mushroom soup ;)
>
>Jill

Another really off-topic side note - humor me, I'm so sick I wish I
was dead - When I get into my son's truck to move it, I never know
whether I'm going to be assaulted by some guy screaming "ONLY BIT***S
TELL LIES" or Led Zep, or Metallica, or Hank Williams SENIOR or "you
are my sunshine" from the "o brother where art thou" soundtrack. The
kid truly loves all kinds of music. My daughter is "all country - all
the time" - where she got it from, I don't know. Course, the only
thing in her life right now is an imaginary yellow corvette z06
convertible. Which a nearby neighbor and old friend just bought -
she's convinced, just to make her mad. And the guy's son is someone
she sort of "dated" for a while - I headed her off a while back with -
"Don't get stupid - OK?", so we're on fabulous terms, as you might
imagine. Myself, I'm more likely these days to be discovered
listening to Albinoni, Locatelli, Vivaldi or Bach. Ok, Way off topic -
has anyone actually purchased and RECEIVED the "Australian Pink Floyd"
Liverpool DVD set? I want it bad, but it's from a British site, and
they don't take Visa, and haven't answered an inquiry I sent them.
Not a good sign.

AlleyGator wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> AlleyGator wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember
>>> anything they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms,
>>> ya know. I can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

>> Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's?
>> Well that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime
>> with a nice shitake mushroom soup ;)
>>
>> Jill

> Gimme a break, eh? Just because I missed part of it, doesn't mean I
> didn't enjoy it. And, BTW, neither of my kids has 2 heads or anything
> like that. Although, I would highly discourage anyone else - "don't
> try this at home". I am home for the second day, barfing like a
> sea-slug. Which reminided me of the wonderful mushroom experience.
> Oh, and thanks for the "dayum" to add to my list of memorabilia -
> that's a new one - the south WILL rise again?

(laughing) I may live in the southern U.S. but I'm not *from* here.
Reminds me of my favourite joke:

A woman from the southern U.S. and a woman from NYC are sitting in an
airport. The southern woman says to the NY woman, "So, where are you from?"
The NY woman sniffs and says, "I am FROM where we don't end a sentence with
a preposition." The southern woman thinks about it a moment, then says,
"Okay, where you from, *****?" :)

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

>A woman from the southern U.S. and a woman from NYC are sitting in an
>airport. The southern woman says to the NY woman, "So, where are you from?"
>The NY woman sniffs and says, "I am FROM where we don't end a sentence with
>a preposition." The southern woman thinks about it a moment, then says,
>"Okay, where you from, *****?" :)

Thanks fer trying to cheer me up.