should you walk during rest days during training?

gty

Guest
I'm in 3rd week of training for 10 kms and my legs etc are tired. I
went on long walk on my off day and it seemed to make my legs even more
tired. I didn't think walking would be very demanding?

gty wrote:
> I'm in 3rd week of training for 10 kms and my legs etc are tired. I
> went on long walk on my off day and it seemed to make my legs even more
> tired. I didn't think walking would be very demanding?

it's not very demanding. perhaps there's a more serious problem? i think
that perhaps you've got a case of epstein/barr syndrome. this is very
common in people that post silly questions on newsgroups. how is the
adventure race training coming? are you finding there is any benefit
from the conditioning you built up with mountain climbing?

i'm running 6 kms after 3 weeks so i guess the mountain climbing
helped, but not as much as i thought. cardiovascularly , i'm quite weak
since it takes me 7 minutes per km. i have a 10 km event in 7 days and
i likely will have to rest all week . the frustrating thing is that i
could handle 11 hr hikes and now i can only run 40 minutes every second
day. i have had chronic fatigue and continuous flu symptoms in the past
from social anxiety. i guess it takes years and not weeks to get into
competive condition.

gty wrote:
> I'm in 3rd week of training for 10 kms and my legs etc are tired. I
> went on long walk on my off day and it seemed to make my legs even

more
> tired. I didn't think walking would be very demanding?

When I'm not well rested, I find walking somewhat demanding, especially
if the weather is warm and muggy. I heard that it's good to take days
off from exercising. For some reason, that doesn't work for me. I need
to do some kind of exercise every day. I do know what you mean about
walking though. Walking isn't demanding if I've been running first!

I'm trying to accelerate my training in a short period. My legs and
ankles are sore and exhausted so i was just wondering if i should stay
off my legs completely. I guess i should be weight training and doing
push ups until my legs are rested. I'm a workholic and like to work 16
hrs/day so this 40 minutes/day jogging seems too little.

when the legs hurt you can't really do much/. time to eat and rest....
and now and then take a day or two off....

the go gas ain't made yet to re go legs..
take's time. this is why they get stiff, hurt and no want to go........
do upper body butt be care full with back....
the spine no go. you in a heap of trouble....... spine do legs and
back.upper.
I try not do spine so much. because lower upper.
yet my abbs are in need to be tone really bad.
interesting post....
I am adding cross to my bike riding now too........weight lifting.
upper lower.

legs kick dance at moon........think ballet karate. jst moveing to
air. with sticks.....
loseing snaps crakel pops...... feel so much better now.

I find its an age-dependent thing.
In my 20s I'd do something equally athletically
demanding on a non-running day, like a 100 mile
bike ride. I might go months without a true vegetating
day. Now, years latr, I take true rest days, because I
need them.