maillard heliocomatic

Gregory McGuire

Guest
I have an older Peugeot Ph10 year 1984. It has had replaced an heliocomatic
6 speed cassette/freewheel. It needs a new one. Also I have the original
freewheel. Can this be repaired or is there a replacement. I measured the
distance between the dropouts and it looks like 126mm.
Anybody have one of these older bikes?
Is there anyone out there that can remember the great peugeot bicycle? I
have had 3 Peugeot bicycles, this one is different it has a heliocomatic
hub/freewheel, with 6 speeds.

Dig around on the web.

There are various 6-speed units available still, such as Sachs, Shimano,
etc.

-pete (still running 7-speed freewheel 135mm hub on my tourer, nearly
0-dish, and loving it!)

news:[email protected]...

Gregory McGuire wrote:
> I have an older Peugeot Ph10 year 1984. It has had replaced an heliocomatic
> 6 speed cassette/freewheel. It needs a new one. Also I have the original
> freewheel. Can this be repaired or is there a replacement. I measured the
> distance between the dropouts and it looks like 126mm.
> Anybody have one of these older bikes?
> Is there anyone out there that can remember the great peugeot bicycle? I
> have had 3 Peugeot bicycles, this one is different it has a heliocomatic
> hub/freewheel, with 6 speeds.

Andrew Muzi, as I remember, still has some Heliocomatic stuff.
Phil brown

Gregory McGuire wrote:
> I have an older Peugeot Ph10 year 1984. It has had replaced an heliocomatic
> 6 speed cassette/freewheel. It needs a new one.

A little info: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#helicomatic

Regular freewheels (Shimano, etc.) obviously don't work on the Maillard
hub. Ask around at long-established bike shops in your area, see if
anyone has NOS Maillard freewheels. I know of a couple shops that have
them... dunno if they're worth the money, though.

-Vee

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Duck killed by a chopper?

Could happen.

I watched an expert flying a radio-controlled helicopter the other day.
Amazing! He could cut the grass flying it inverted.

Taking out a French mallard would have been duck soup.

- Frank Krygowski

Gregory McGuire wrote:
> I have an older Peugeot Ph10 year 1984. It has had replaced an heliocomatic
> 6 speed cassette/freewheel. It needs a new one. Also I have the original
> freewheel. Can this be repaired or is there a replacement. I measured the
> distance between the dropouts and it looks like 126mm.
> Anybody have one of these older bikes?
> Is there anyone out there that can remember the great peugeot bicycle? I
> have had 3 Peugeot bicycles, this one is different it has a heliocomatic
> hub/freewheel, with 6 speeds.

I have the tool to remove the freewheel. You are welcome to borrow it.

Doug

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Duck killed by a chopper?

> Could happen.
>
> I watched an expert flying a radio-controlled helicopter the other
> day. Amazing! He could cut the grass flying it inverted.
>
> Taking out a French mallard would have been duck soup.

Good one. (Just for the record, my eyes are going! I really thought it
said "mallard".)

Bill Magoo

Gregory McGuire wrote:
> I have an older Peugeot Ph10 year 1984. It has had replaced an heliocomatic
> 6 speed cassette/freewheel. It needs a new one. Also I have the original
> freewheel. Can this be repaired or is there a replacement. I measured the
> distance between the dropouts and it looks like 126mm.
> Anybody have one of these older bikes?
> Is there anyone out there that can remember the great peugeot bicycle? I
> have had 3 Peugeot bicycles, this one is different it has a heliocomatic
> hub/freewheel, with 6 speeds.

I have a heliomatic/Sram freewheel for sale. $40..call me

303-440-3535

>Dig around on the web.
>
>There are various 6-speed units available still, such as Sachs, Shimano,
>etc.

Unfortunately none of them will fit a helicomatic hub.
-----------
Alex

Interesting stuff, and I thought I'd seen a lot of freewheel and freehub
designs. I guess not:-]

I did a quick search, and noticed there are several NOS on EBay, not to
mention the gracious r.b.t. regular who posted with one!

-pete

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> I have a heliomatic/Sram freewheel for sale. $40..call me
> 303-440-3535

That is a good deal. Complete new helicomatic freewheels are
rare.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/helico.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:21:34 -0700, "Gregory McGuire"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>I saw the hub on ebay and it is only 21-12.
>>This is the bay sf bay area. I would find it difficult to manage a 42-21 on
>>the hills. The bike came with 28-12 and I managed to find a 24-12 some 7or 8
>>years ago.

Why not transfer the old cogs to the new freewheel?

Hi Greg,

The reason for wanting a replacement is that with the mileage on the
freewheel cogs, that a new chain will jump off the cogs when presure is
applied. On my first freewheel I must have put 20 k miles on that chain
until it broke and then I bought a new chain and it jumped off the
freewheel. On the next freewheel I must have put 10k on it and then I bought
a new chain and the new chain jumps off the cogs. It would be interesting to
find out how a person would go about changing the cogs on the heliocomatic
freewheel. I can still ride the bike with the current freewheel and chain. I
am looking for a 28/12 6 speed helicomatic. I think in time one will turn
up.
"Greg Berchin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:21:34 -0700, "Gregory McGuire"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>I saw the hub on ebay and it is only 21-12.
>>>This is the bay sf bay area. I would find it difficult to manage a 42-21
>>>on
>>>the hills. The bike came with 28-12 and I managed to find a 24-12 some
>>>7or 8
>>>years ago.

> Why not transfer the old cogs to the new freewheel?

On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:21:57 -0700, "Gregory McGuire"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The reason for wanting a replacement is that with the mileage on the
>freewheel cogs, that a new chain will jump off the cogs when presure is
>applied.

So is it just the cogs that are worn out?

>It would be interesting to
>find out how a person would go about changing the cogs on the heliocomatic
>freewheel.

It's simple. The fifth cog threads onto the freewheel. The sixth cog
threads onto the fifth. The others slide onto the splined freewheel. I
just took one apart, right here, right now.

I have a bunch of old Helicomatic cogs that are still in workable
condition. Let me know what you need, and if I have them they're yours
for the cost of shipping.

Greg