Gold Coast anti-bike campaign

Peter Signorini

Guest
A friend of mine on holidays in Queensland has sent a card talking about
apallingly agressive behaviour from motorists on the road, and a push by
local radio stations and council (I think) against cyclists. He described it
as an anti-cyclist campaign so sounds like more than just one or two news
comments

Nothing new about the media hitting out, (g'day Neil) but it all sounds
pretty extreme, and against the trend here in Melbourne.

Can any Qld people enlighten us to the Gold Coast situation?

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini <[email protected]> wrote:
> A friend of mine on holidays in Queensland has sent a card talking about
> apallingly agressive behaviour from motorists on the road, and a push by
> local radio stations and council (I think) against cyclists. He described it
> as an anti-cyclist campaign so sounds like more than just one or two news
> comments
>
> Nothing new about the media hitting out, (g'day Neil) but it all sounds
> pretty extreme, and against the trend here in Melbourne.
>
> Can any Qld people enlighten us to the Gold Coast situation?
>
> Cheers
> Peter

I don't know anything about the Gold Coast situation but it sounds
pretty typical. I remember that the Queensland Minister for Transport
the (dis)Honourable Don Lane, opened a bicycle planning conference in
1984 by saying something like "the best way to protect cyclists is to
get them off the road." Things are changing, but very very slowly.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter Signorini said:
Can any Qld people enlighten us to the Gold Coast situation?

Cheers
Peter

Yeah, we'd like to head more about this re: Danny Clark, Luke Harrop and others.
http://www.pedro.net.au/comments.php?id=112_0_1_0_C
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/triathlon/rememlh.htm

Remember two years ago when Clear Channel was highly criticised in the US over anti-cyclist ****?
http://humantransport.org/bicycledriving/wdcg.htm

"Hate crimes are message crimes. They are different from other crimes in that the offender is sending a message to members of a certain group that they are unwelcome." - Dr. Jack McDevitt, criminologist